I was at Corral today and Trails Unlimited is doing trail maintenance so watch out for equipment on the trails for the next few weeks. They said they will be working there tomorrow and then again in a couple of weeks. Two guys with a Sweco, an excavator and an ATV. They could be aropund any corner so be alert out there. They said they are supposed to do trail 4 which should be a challenge as it is a motorcycle only trail now. It needs some work I just hope they don't open it up to much.

Here they are on trail 1.

post-4114-1275447499_thumb.jpg

If you see this truck at Four Corners they are out there somewhere:

post-4114-1275448245_thumb.jpg

I rode the new trail, 912, on my trials bike. Fun trail to ride it on. I read that someone said it was getting hard to follow and ribbon was hard to see. That is kind of what I found also so I added ribbons here and there and did some random brush cutting. One thing I spent quite a bit of work on was opening up a reroute around the steep section between the tight rocks. From the bottom go right as you approach the tight dug out spot and around the rocks and up. This is what it looks like now approaching from the bottom:

post-4114-1275447546_thumb.jpg

post-4114-1275447602_thumb.jpg

post-4114-1275447627_thumb.jpg

post-4114-1275447650_thumb.jpg

The trail is getting pretty grown over in spots but you can still see the path in most places. Where it was hard to see I added ribbons to help follow the trail. Mostly the over growth is just an annoyance slapping you in the handguards and hidng the trail a little bit. If you are out there feel free to prune the bushes back as needed.

Also be sure to post any hours you spend out there working the trails if you do here.

Good work! that bi-pass looks easier with less loose dirt to foil the knobby tire crowd. Has that swamp at the East end been re-ribboned by Ranger Tull yet?

Good work! that bi-pass looks easier with less loose dirt to foil the knobby tire crowd. Has that swamp at the East end been re-ribboned by Ranger Tull yet?

Not for us yet. Looked around casually and didn't see any new ribbons. I thought I did a couple of times but they always truned ont to be flowers. :lol: It has dried up pretty much now and is easily crossed without that sinking feeling.

I know two riders who are now happier with that bypass. Thanks!

3, actually. Appreciate the bypass Alan....thx!

I was including you in the 2... :)

That's the line bill and I scoped out a bit (I think)

Let's hope it holds

Also; thanks for your time on the trail

is the original path officially closed or is it a 2 line route?

sounds like we all might just need to ride it more if its getting overgrown... ;)

thanx for your trail maintanance mc... <_<

is the original path officially closed or is it a 2 line route?

Well, it is still there... We are not supposed to have more than one line (no bypasses) on the trail. That was what The Man said to us.

Thanks Alan, going up that bit was bit rough and only going to get worse, looking forward to trying your new route, going down the original way is still reasonable but if we need to stick to single (new) route thats fine by me.

Last I rode new trail a month or so ago was suprised how much it was overgrown, definately needs use, what is plan to finish off work and mark entrance etc. I am up for work day but its getting warm now?

Anyone rode the new 4xt trail at end of trail 11, its short but Ok although marking in unclear where it loops back, I found it quite easy to miss trail and go in circles or abck way i came?

Maintenance crew was on the trail to the lookout tower today. Condition of the trail is now very loose and rocky(er). Looks like they added some water bars for erosion control, too.

Went to Corral today and did not see maintenance crew but could see what they had done, some of the new water bars are quite sharp so beware as if you hit with any speed you just go vertical, and as baldbeemer said some sections are bit loose and rocky.

Also they seem to have gone through trail 4 and opened it up a bit which is not so good as other new trail was one of few single tracks there and maybe ATV's will now start using it.

New single track was quite overgrown and easy to miss corners and unseen roacks etc, but fun anyway.

Also they seem to have gone through trail 4 and opened it up a bit which is not so good as other new trail was one of few single tracks there and maybe ATV's will now start using it.

Nooooo!!!! 4 is no longer a single-track???? :rolleyes:

These guys totally reworked Kernan (not our portion of it) a year or so ago - made it soooo much easier!!!

I know they're just trying to help, but 4 was in GREAT shape.. I wonder what work they thought they needed to do????

Somebody needs to keep these Trails Unlimited guys in check a little I think - and away from trails 9 and 7... Leave us something challenging to ride out there. I guess we have the new trail....

Nooooo!!!! 4 is no longer a single-track???? :lol:

Don't worry, they have widened it before a couple of times and it has always managed to somehow revert. :lol:

But to be sure, I guess I'd better go out there and have a look for myself. :rolleyes:

Been to coral canyon few times over last couple of weeks and make sure I always ride the new single track trail.

With heat some of the grass etc. has died back so is easier to see trail, the mctrails bypass at the top of the tough hill is holding up nice, not easy but much better. Last week I went up there but got stuck before I got to the bypass, the bottom approach is slow and on my 530 was in 1st coming up to hill and could only get halfway up before it came to a halt in now a deep rut and huge cloud of dust. My rear tire was not great but there was no grip, the dirt was just dust going down a foot probably. So I pulled bike out of the hole on left/high side and even on grassy bit had real job getting going as again it just dug a hole but just made it in end.

So went back yesterday and after going down the hill I stopped and walked back up and filled in rut a bit with some softball sized rocks covered with dirt from side of rut, carried on to the end, turned around and came back to try it out. Hit bottom this time in 2nd and bit quicker and carrying some momentum was able to get some grip with rocks in rut and get up OK, not easy though. So it probably needs a few more rocks in rut and maybe bit easier rut/berm at bottom to prevent it getting too difficult and rutted / big holes.

The rest of the trail is good, changed a lot over last 6 months, one rocky piece near east end used to easy enough but now it has gotten dug up with holes around rocks from some folks getting stuck so is much tougher and could probably do with some work, also some bits could do with bit more tape for marking as is bit easy to get off track, even if you know roughly where you are going.

I know exactly where you are talking about dai- I have trenched that the last two times there, as well. A foot of silt...

Brad and I had been talking before about my trials tire... me "I think these are better for the trails"

brad, standing behind me as I deepen the trench "yep... that's great for the trail all right ya schmuck" :lol:

I wonder how long the rocks will stay put, though... the rains may make it better, but they may also make it worse... I guess we let nature help us with the next bypasss if necessary.

I know exactly where you are talking about dai- I have trenched that the last two times there, as well. A foot of silt...

Brad and I had been talking before about my trials tire... me "I think these are better for the trails"

brad, standing behind me as I deepen the trench "yep... that's great for the trail all right ya schmuck" :lol:

I wonder how long the rocks will stay put, though... the rains may make it better, but they may also make it worse... I guess we let nature help us with the next bypasss if necessary.

Glad to know I'm not the only one getting stuck there, and silt is good description. Not sure how long the rocks will last in there, will see next time and maybe try some bit bigger ones but moving rocks can expose things I don't want to see (scared silly of snakes). But I think the way it is when we get some rain it will just wash down the trench and make it real deep so something needs to be done. Can't remember exactly but maybe better to not drop down so far and instead cut across the side of hill higher up, or go down further for a longer straight run up this section.

Just wanted to jump in here and thank you guys for the hard work. I rode the new trail yesterday it was a blast. Rode it from bottom to top and I was pretty whipped by the end. Of course I could have picked a better day to do it. It was 97 when I got back to the truck at 4 Corners. I've never seen the trail before and didn't have any trouble following the course. Thanks again.

Did Corral yesterday, real nice after the rain, few puddles but mainly great traction, trail #1 as always gets more rain ruts but not too bad. Wrangler is nice but hill from west side has deep rut from earlier attempts then the rain so needs some work, great to see eveything green again and trail easier to see. What are plans to get this offically opened?

New trail 912A linking from trail 5 to trail 4 crossing trail 1 by the big rock slab outcrop (well I know where I mean) has now finally been layed out with pink ribbons, anyone know of plans for working on opening this as I heard it will be bike only single track also?

Rode 4x4 trail 911A at end on trail 11 which is good and also see ribbons and partially at leat cleared 4x4 tracks on 911B/C.

And one of my new favorites is 901A from 4 corners to trail 8 (or 908 now) short but sweet and flowing, and much better after some rain.

Great to have such a fun place to ride and it keeps getting better.

I have been wondering when we will set another work day up for the Ranger trail. We still have a stretch to get cleared and broken in, plus making getting the entry points squared away.

New trail 912A linking from trail 5 to trail 4 crossing trail 1 by the big rock slab outcrop (well I know where I mean) has now finally been layed out with pink ribbons, anyone know of plans for working on opening this as I heard it will be bike only single track also?

I was out there on Sunday on my trials bike and saw this section. I followed it from the slab west. It only goes a little ways and then the ribbons ended. I had to cut some brush on a section that goes down between a couple of big boulders. I'm in the process of finding out the status of the new sections from Ranger Tull.

I also rode the new trail 912 (Ranger) and agree that it looks pretty good but does need some trimming in places. Rode trail 9 (single track from Bobcat CG to trail 2 near Corral CG. It also needs some trimming work and a couple of fallen trees worked on that are blocking the trail. I spent some time trimming a few spots on both of these trails but they need a lot more work.

Since it is starting to cool off I will post up a trail work day soon and we can start working them.