Crawdaddy

Catalina Island Grand Prix Returns in 2010

Wow, you're on the BALL Debbie!

(ps: just one b in my Debie, btw, no worries, I get that alot)....

Yeah Rodger!

:lol:

Hmmmm... racing on Catalina.

Somebody say something about boats?

Warning: The following youtube video, while entertaining, is not for mixed company nor work safe. There is no nudity involved, but the lyrics are, well, amusing.

Here's some things to think about if you want to enter, and/or attend the Catalina GP..........

• It will be an expensive weekend for sure, I'm sure entry fee will be pricey since they have to hire a barge to take all the bikes over to the island.
  • Hotels will be expensive.
  • You need to make your reservations very SOON, since all the places will probably sell out.
  • Once entries are available, you better sign up quick because the race will SELL OUT very quickly.
  • It will be an awesome event, no matter what.
  • I'll be surprised if they let the bikes into the backcountry of the island like the old races, since it's been closed to motorized for years now. They have a track right outside of town, so the race MAY just go on the track and thru town for a few laps........I'm just speculating on that part.

I hope to go and race, but not sure right now due to the economy and finances.

Heard an unconfirmed rumor that the race was cancelled. I figured as much. I was pretty much going to pull out of this anyway due to costs and PIA factors.

Heard an unconfirmed rumor that the race was cancelled. I figured as much. I was pretty much going to pull out of this anyway due to costs and PIA factors.

That sux =\ My room is already paid for, so I guess I'll have to turn it into a fun weekend if the event doesn't happen. Bummer.

That sux =\ My room is already paid for, so I guess I'll have to turn it into a fun weekend if the event doesn't happen. Bummer.

That would be a bummer.....Guess we shall see on the race........I heard last month that the entry would be $200 including bike transport, which I thought was reasonable..Hope they can still make it happen......I could cancel my reservation (through expedia), but I've never been out there after living here for 20+ years, so I was thinking I'd go either way also....race or not....?...maybe go fishing?....kayaking?....there must be other stuff to do out there?......Maybe they can pull it off still..I think they need the money out there....

Good find Kelly....sounds like the City really wants it.......(I'm not sure environmental impact reports can be done that quickly?, I'll ask at work, my company has an environmental/planning department)......Also sounds like registration WAS ongoing and started already....guess we'll have to wait it out..

That would be a bummer.....Guess we shall see on the race........I heard last month that the entry would be $200 including bike transport, which I thought was reasonable..Hope they can still make it happen......I could cancel my reservation (through expedia), but I've never been out there after living here for 20+ years, so I was thinking I'd go either way also....race or not....?...maybe go fishing?....kayaking?....there must be other stuff to do out there?......Maybe they can pull it off still..I think they need the money out there....

I'm gonna go either way, be a nice weekend even if the races aren't gonna happen. :)

I guess its finally on again....

Info

Expert and Intermediates only.

$250 per race includes ferry for your bike.

Just too much money for me right now.

Yeah, while I'd love to race in it, I'm going to pass. I'm not going to spectate.......if I was there, I'd want to be racing it. It will be an expensive weekend, have too many other plans for the rest of the year.

If I open my mouth concerning this event and my opinion of it......especially now that the actual entry/resume'/authorization to race form is out....

I will see y'all at the 50 year anniversary (yes 50th anniversary) Tecate Enduro for a real event/adventure ride of 90 miles of tough, out in the hills single track. circus show not included. rules minimal and simple, enter race/ride, follow ribbon, deal with obstacles, just keep on going and going and going until finish.

I am sure this Hollywood Cat GP event will be well supported, so my personal opinion has no bearing on the event and I do hope they have a successful show, everything moto related is OK for me. Note also I do and have supported D37 racing (Nat H&Hs).For all those who do go, enjoy the show.(my disclaimer)

robert; I hear ya... but MORE races can only help our sport, if you ask me

Supercross is SO out of the realm of most weekend riders, and most people think of that as an interesting way to spend 5 minutes on youtube (watching it)

real events, available to the general public, are a great in-road to more acceptance. Even if it is a dog and pony show

Yes, there it may be a bit Hollywoodish.......but there are still going to be real racers there.....just regular everyday people entering a race, like the Elsinore Grand Prix. It's just going to be more publicized sinne it's Catalina, and since it's been so long since they put this GP on.

If the weekend wasn't going to be so expensive, I'd consider just being a spectator.

Robert, I may see if I can bum a lighter bike and enter the enduro that weekend ! I'd love to try it, but I'll only get my a#@ kicked by my 640.....need a lighter bike.

(clapping emicon here, I think we lost that one?)......so my long made reservation, that I held onto anyway, and didn't loose hope, may render more entertainment than just kayaking and bird watching....and maybe seeing the sites of beautiful Catalina Island....Great news!

I'm in, just provide the details!

This last week I helped a couple friends that will be riding Hodaka's at the GP. Here are a few photos of folks dropping there bikes off for shipping. This Harley was the coolest bike, I wish I could go see the race and take photos. If you go say hi to the Hodaka riders.

IMGP0222.jpg

IMGP0226.jpg

IMGP0223.jpg

viewer.png

To all hitting the Catalina GP show, enjoy and ride safe, just have fun!!!!BRUX USA

last night, out in my parking area...i see an AMAZING sportmobile 4X4...with AMA stickers and alot of moto related look to it...

i wonder if my neighbor got a new rig..or went camping with a friend or something...

well it's 30 and OVER racer Jason Lewis, on his way to Catalina for the race!!!

so IF YOU SEE JASON LULIS GIVE 'EM a SDAR WELCOME!!!!! had 214x on van, it's all white, so look for it!

and to all going BE SAFE AND HAVE FUN!!!

B)..made me jealous i wasn't going even more!!!

viewer.png

Cool Map !..Thanks....(I'm a map geek)......Yes, I'm excited for the trip....heading over thursday til sunday....Will take lots of pics!

and have to try to make that movie on Saturday...I LOVE nitro circus:ph34r:

Good job Hodaka riders.

Did anyone go to the Catalina? I could not, it looked like a success. Hodaka Club members did well in the vintage class. Check out the story below and the cool photo of Hodaka Club member Kevin Balty on his early model Super Rat.

Vintage race - class B

Greg Watkins- 5th place

Kevin Balty - 9th

Gary Woodling- 13th

Classic race - class B

Allen Brown 8th place

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/306/8626/Motorcycle-Article/2010-Red-Bull-Catalina-GP-Saturday-Results.aspx

If I open my mouth concerning this event and my opinion of it......especially now that the actual entry/resume'/authorization to race form is out....

I will see y'all at the 50 year anniversary (yes 50th anniversary) Tecate Enduro for a real event/adventure ride of 90 miles of tough, out in the hills single track. circus show not included. rules minimal and simple, enter race/ride, follow ribbon, deal with obstacles, just keep on going and going and going until finish.

I am sure this Hollywood Cat GP event will be well supported, so my personal opinion has no bearing on the event and I do hope they have a successful show, everything moto related is OK for me. Note also I do and have supported D37 racing (Nat H&Hs).For all those who do go, enjoy the show.(my disclaimer)

I must catagorically retract my pessimistic statements about this event, I was 100% wrong in my pre-race/event ideas about this Catalina GP event. It definitly rocked from A to Z, from all the reports, fotos and videos I have seen. Glad we did the Tecate Enduro thing (its more my type event), however if there are no conflicts next year I will definitly love to get out and watch the Cat GP show!!! It was a very cool scene and great looking vibe. RN

Good job Hodaka riders.

Did anyone go to the Catalina? I could not, it looked like a success. Hodaka Club members did well in the vintage class. Check out the story below and the cool photo of Hodaka Club member Kevin Balty on his early model Super Rat.

Vintage race - class B

Greg Watkins- 5th place

Kevin Balty - 9th

Gary Woodling- 13th

Classic race - class B

Allen Brown 8th place

http://www.motorcycl...ay-Results.aspx

well, several pages of posts, including all our photos seemed to have disappeared....they were there last night !...

yes, strega, todd, capncham, dsfox all attended...it was amazing.....hope our posts come back?????