...there are still mud-puddles in the desert? My buddy found this one somewhere between Superstition and Ocottillo Wells... 5 hours and $150 later, we were on our way back to Plaster City (where we parked) again... fun times!

To further elaborate... the picture was taken seconds after he "dipped" in... the bike (and he) was still sinking and stuck so badly that after an hour of the two of us trying to exhaustion, the bike was down to radiator level. Peg stuck in the side of the dirt, wheels in the mud... Tow guy came with his Kawasaki Mule and winched it out.

No one got hurt and we replaced both fork seals today ;)

I am still laughing...

post-13862-1271830872_thumb.jpg

Great photo!

My condolences.

Be nice to know the coordinates of this thing.

Be nice to know the coordinates of this thing.

You can't miss it, trust me. It's in the San Felipe wash, I believe... and not something you'd blindly run into. We had been out riding for a while and I guess the sun and the heat had just gotten to him... when he was standing there, even contemplating the whole stunt, I was thinking to myself "No, he will NOT"... just to see him try seconds later. Brain fart, simple as that.

Here is a picture of what it looked like after the bike was out and after we had already cleaned up quite a bit of the dirt... uhu!

post-13862-1271863897_thumb.jpg

For Sale... CHEAP! Husky 510, CA Street Legal... low miles. PayPal money, we'll give you coordinates... ;)

I had so much fun with this AFTER we were all said and done and no one got hurt (well, except for that badly bruised ego)... :o

This picture was taken after we had tried for an hour to at least raise the bike a little...

post-13862-1271864105_thumb.jpg

Been there, done that....well not THERE, but did that last Thursday and smoked the clutch. ;)

Bummer. :o I think I know where that was. I did the Superstition to OW ride a few weeks ago and remember seeing something like that. We rode around it. ;)

Ouch, Mimi...

to his credit, I'll have to say the the engine was off before he even went all the way in and that he did not even try to motor the bike out...

Mctrails... I was prepared to do the same... ;):o

Surprised you couldn't pull it out with a tow strap coming back from a lead "bike"......you do carry a tow strap........right? ;)

Surprised you couldn't pull it out with a tow strap coming back from a lead "bike"......you do carry a tow strap........right? ;)

Took 3 guys and a 3000 pound winch, believe it or not... any attempt of towing just let to the front end digging in deeper... top was hardening while the lower layers were super soft. Even with the winch, it took two of us to constantly pull the front up, in order to get anything done... and we were winching from a 10' elevated level.

Took 3 guys and a 3000 pound winch, believe it or not... any attempt of towing just let to the front end digging in deeper... top was hardening while the lower layers were super soft. Even with the winch, it took two of us to constantly pull the front up, in order to get anything done... and we were winching from a 10' elevated level.

wow :o .......that does "suck" :o (literally :lol: )

As a veteran of a mud-related incident, I can tell you the bike WILL NOT come out with a tow strap to another bike. Might as well attach the tow strap to a fire hydrant and try to tow that. Nor will the rear wheel spin free with generously applied throttle and clutch.

Loose and watery mud- maybe. But not that stuff.

Yea i had my run in with that stuff, i just call it goo cause it aint mud, its gets pretty bad around the airport in OW.

...there are still mud-puddles in the desert?

YES

I now have a much better appreciation for what your buddy went through :) ........decided to take a "short cut" across a dry(?) lakebed yesterday to get to Ballarat........shortcut didn't work out so well :lol: ........~4 hours later Slowdown (Ron) and I were able to get my bike out of a similar mud pit with the help of two jeepers I chased down on the road using Ron's bike.......too soft for them to drive out in the jeep but we were able to extract it using a rope on the foot peg of my bike/Ron's bike up front......and the jeepers pulling on the rope in the middle.......report and pics to come later

Rear wheel bearings are shot from 4 hours submerged and ~40 mile ride back to Ridgecrest.....is there a recommended afermarket bearing kit or does everyone just use KTM parts/kits?

That mishap aside, we had a very fun weekend.......Slowdown joined me out in Ridgecrest for two days of riding and Jim was able to join us on the first day........I went out there to meet up with 3 guys from NY who I helped out with GPS tracks between Phoenix and San Fran (they should up in Bass Lake today)......

I came away with some good active tracks/ideas for another Crawdaddy/Strega ride this fall or early next year......I have a bit more exploring/refining to do but I think you'll like it B) .........some interesting sites along the way..........a couple of pucker climbs/downhills........and some fun desert single track ;) (though I wasn't able to find much good single track that isn't whooped out....but I'll keep looking on subsequent trips ;):)......Jerry Counts was a BIG help with foundation GPS tracks ) ............and don't worry, I won't be leading anyone across the lake bed (again) ^_^......I reserve dumb ass moves/mistakes like that for my pre-runs :lol:

The bearings and seals are pretty industrial-standard. It's the spacers that are crucial. I use the All-Balls steel spacers (I think). The stock spacers get grooved and then the seal fails.

Don't know if they have them for girl bikes.

The bearings and seals are pretty industrial-standard. It's the spacers that are crucial. I use the All-Balls steel spacers (I think). The stock spacers get grooved and then the seal fails.

Don't know if they have them for girl bikes.

Thanks for the info.......I was on the 520 this weekend......

I saw your report, Chris... no fun!

Glad you found help, though.... you learn the value of that quickly in situations like that. That is why I NEVER refuse to help...