Bagstr

MT43 Trials Tire

All the Classy Guys seem to be using the Pirelli tire once out of the Desert sand.

My question, should you choose to answer is: Does it have the load rating to handle

a "Middle Weight" bike, aka 300lbs. Also being a 4.00, I would think the tallness

would quicken the steering somewhat.

I have seen reports of the racebikes and girly bikes having success in the rocks

and woods. What do you gals and guys think for a big rig?

Later this year, I will be doing a 2000 mile dualsport campout and wonder if the Trials

tire is appropriate for long travel on and off pavement.

You considered opinion is appreciated.

All the Classy Guys seem to be using the Pirelli tire once out of the Desert sand.

My question, should you choose to answer is: Does it have the load rating to handle

a "Middle Weight" bike, aka 300lbs.

Strega had a MT43 on the back of his 300+lb/hefty 640 when we looped the Grand Canyon last Oct (~1200 miles).....at the end of the ride his MT43 rear looked to be in better shape than the rock hard Death Wing I picked up from Hoss314.....that ride was probably ~400 paved and ~800 dirt.....

My friend Gil claims to routinely get ~3K miles out of his rear MT43s mounted on his KTM 520........the power of your 690 may tear up a back tire much quicker.....so 2K miles is probably right on the line.....but doable provided you're not heavy on the throttle and/or riding a lot of pavement.......

Just threw a "set" on my ~300lb girlbike this weekend......"the" tire for Big Bear/Bass Lake/Mammoth......AKA, Spring/Summer/Fall :)

Picture029.jpg

Can't beat 'em for rocks and most trails...sucky in the mud and mediocre in the sand (but better than I anticipated)

Better mileage on the road than most DS tires (I ran one on my DRZ...300 poundish), but I found that it wanders a bit while really tearing up the twisties...but it never broke loose in an uncontrollable way. How much of the 2000 (!?!?) Ride is street? THAT'S a major ride. Sounds like a blast!

I have a used one with lots of life left if u want to try it out

a "Middle Weight" bike, aka 300lbs. Also being a 4.00, I would think the tallness

would quicken the steering somewhat.

I have seen reports of the racebikes and girly bikes having success in the rocks

and woods. What do you gals and guys think for a big rig?

Later this year, I will be doing a 2000 mile dualsport campout and wonder if the Trials

tire is appropriate for long travel on and off pavement.

You considered opinion is appreciated.

I use a 23" Trials front tire on one of my 1978 Honda XL's I keep in Page. Works fine in the dirt and doesn't howl on pavement.

Can't beat 'em for rocks and most trails...sucky in the mud and mediocre in the sand (but better than I anticipated)

I had one on the rear of my DRZ and was also very surprised how it did in the sand.

I use a 23" Trials front tire on one of my 1978 Honda XL's I keep in Page. Works fine in the dirt and doesn't howl on pavement.

That's more of a trials universal design. The MT43 is a competition observed trials tire. There is a huge difference in construction and rubber compound between the two.

That's more of a trials universal design. The MT43 is a competition observed trials tire. There is a huge difference in construction and rubber compound between the two.

MT43 is DOT legal: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/392/1963/Mot...ire-Review.aspx

I like it!!! I've run them a few times (summer tire only - I don't like how they behave in the sand/desert) for the mountains on my 450. They do stick like glue! Lots of rubber so you can air way down and grab. It's also a totally different style of riding. Don't expect to come into a corner and be able to kick the back end out with a crack of the throttle. You'll have to grag a big handfull if you want to break it loose. You have to steer the bike rather than turn it (does that make sense?). It also tends to want to wash out the front (probably because of the above), until you get used to how it handles.

I don't know how these guys are getting 2000-3000 miles out of them though.. I'll get maybe 750-1000, but that's still better than the 500-ish I get out of knobbies on that bike (especially in the summer, rocky, mountain riding). On your bike (Dave, keep dreaming about that 300 lbs.. I'm sure you're pushing 350 or more with fuel, etc), for a long, 2000 lb, dual-sport campout, I might be inclined to go with a longer lasting DOT knobbie. MT-21/D606/even maybe a TKC. I view the MT-43 as a performance, technical oriented tire. Sure, guys use them for all around, but with camping gear and all the stuff you're going to put on that bike, I think you'll be happier with something more dual-sport-ish. I suspect your camping ride won't be mostly techinal stuff and may have a bit of pavement.

Heck, I'm sure your 690 has the same benefits as my 450 - it eats tires so fast you get to sample a variety! :) Do a mountain ride on what you have now, then throw an MT43 on and do it again. If you don't like it for the long ride, swap it out and keep it for the local playing when you get back.

Chris,

Is that a Trials front as well?

Yep, MT43 "fronts" never used to be available in the states.......and so I've never tried one before......but I figured what the hell, let's give it a whirl......between fuel injection and balanced/low profile the "set" should be awesome on the road/rocks on the girl bike.......I screwed up and forgot to buy rim locks so a LOT of weight was used on the rims to balance'em out.......oh well......I figure the girl bike doesn't produce enough torque to really sweat it.....I also used the Bridgestone UHD tubes which weigh a ton......but the "fat" girl bike/rider already weighs a ton so who cares :)

MT43 is DOT legal:

There's still a huge difference between the two.

MT43 is DOT legal:

There's still a huge difference between the two.

Right, that was my point

From article link -

"Pirelli offers a trials tire that is DOT-legal. It doesn't provide the amount of ridiculous traction that competition tires do, but it is still as good or better than regular knobbies in many situations."

Kelly....can u get these? Price?

400-18 MT43 $75 total otd. Retail is 98.95

*Edit* Retail price what up from manufacture to $104.95 as of 5/24.

It's also a totally different style of riding. Don't expect to come into a corner and be able to kick the back end out with a crack of the throttle.

Yep......it's odd not being able to slide the rear end around easily.....almost too much grip :) .....takes away some of the fun......

I agree with Doug/Chris about the Trials tire, it's unbeatable for the rocky/technical stuff. For a 2000 mi trip you might want the D606 or MT21 though...that Trials tire is meant to run about 8-10 PSI even on the street. Over inflate it and the tire will crown and you'll wear the knobs off the middle pretty quickly. Don't take corners too fast (I know this from almost getting tossed over a guard rail) or the tire will stick and the bike will drift, that's not good.

This is the TRUTH...happened to me in Sedona..almost took out trophy or pasta...leaned the bike over to spin turn, and it hooked up, lifted the front wheel, and sent me in to a suck you lent

It's also a totally different style of riding. Don't expect to come into a corner and be able to kick the back end out with a crack of the throttle.

Yep......it's odd not being able to slide the rear end around easily.....almost too much grip :) .....takes away some of the fun......

Digdug,

As always, a well reasoned opinion. How dare you suggest my bike weighs over 300lbs fully loaded and gassed! :)

Crawdaddy, Strega, Bikeslut, and others,

All good issues, Thanks.

I have PM'd Bikeslut to pick up the broken-in MT43 for a test run. Thanks for the offer!

My thoughts:

The 690 appreciates a little help turning at times via a well placed sliding rear tire. Although the increased traction would

be helpful on the tight single track, it may well get me crossed up and high sided in other situations.

That said, I will give it a try for reference. Who knows, could be the best tire I've ever used.

On my "midweight" bike, the MT21 handles best but wears fast. MT21 front and D606 rear handles fine and lasts forever.

This will probably work best for varied conditions on the road.

727544315_EBLaB-M.jpg

I have PM'd Bikeslut to pick up the broken-in MT43 for a test run. Thanks for the offer!

I'll be interested to hear the post Big Bear impressions on the loaner....

I've been running MT43s in the Spring/Summer on my 520 for a while now but I've never had a "front" MT43 on one of my bikes until I put the "set" on the WR250R a while ago......after several rides I can report back that I like the front tire as well (for trail/road riding).....allows greater confidence turning/braking since the front end is less likely to wash out/slide given the grab of the MT43.......likewise, the tire performs well on the road too given the low profile......so while I may switch around a lot on my "dualsport" KTM, the MT43 "set" may wind up staying on the "Adventure" WR250R for quite some time.......

I run a Dunlop trials tire on my 250 and love it. On my 525 I ran a MT43 last summer in Utah and had a love/hate relationship with it. It was OK to good for acceleration but piss poor on decel and breaking. I put a knobby back on and now thats my tire for the big 4 stroke. All it takes is one overcooked corner and you'll find the limits of that MT43, then it's hard on the front break and hang on.

I put a knobby back on and now thats my tire for the big 4 stroke. All it takes is one overcooked corner and you'll find the limits of that MT43, then it's hard on the front break and hang on.

I have been switching back and forth with the MT43 rear for about a year now too. Do you remember what presure that you ran with the MT43? What knobby on the rear did you switch to?

I ran between 5-8 lbs, I'm told the sidewalls on the MT43 are stiffer than the other trials tires. For a knobby I had a Maxis IT. I ran one of these in Nevada and got 1291 miles out of it. I think for the money this is a real good tire. The best knobby I've run is a Bridgestone 403, great traction and predictable drift in turns but only 7-800 miles of wear.

.....For a knobby I had a Maxis IT. .....

Same here

Currently have a Maxxis IT on the KTM bit it'll be coming off in favor of a MT43 now that I'm shifting from desert riding to trails/rocks riding....

MT43.jpg

Big Bear: White Mountains & Redonda Ridge

862631652_J2F3Y-L.jpg

How do you describe a tire that takes you places you thought were beyond you capabilities?

How do you describe a tire that drops you in a hole you shouldn't have taken...and carries you out.

Six miles into a single track, looking Up at a rock strewn climb, trying to suppress panic, because You Have No Choice But to Climb that rock ravaged Loose single track..(I diverge) the bike tracks, the tire grips, you make it to the top and a wave of relief rolls over your mind.

Overly Dramatic?? Not if you were there.

Just the facts. The tire climbs and drops through rocks and loose rubble smoothly and Consistently. I run to 15lbs (higher than almost everyone) to protect from pinch flats. My take is that the tire climbs with less Slip and grab of a 606 or MT41. The tire is tough. Captchams' Maxis knobby was shredded. The MT43 lost no rubber. Does the tire flat track, slip and slide? No. Climbing up to Redonda Ridge via the 180 degree switchbacks, it took extra effort to spin up the tire in order to whip it out and square off the turn. The 690 was not the best bike for this single track. Once I got the thing turned, Man did it grab and Go! My 606 would have spun up and been much harder to initiate momentum. It takes some getting used to, but at the end of the first day I adjusted and felt totally comfortable, it is just different. Didn't use it much on the pavement, but can't see why it would be much different than a street tire that I would never step out with. Seems to me it would be a great travel tire because it is Much smoother than a 606 for example, on the pavement. Major Thank You to Bikeslut for the demo tire. Now I need to go buy a new MT43. Anyone wanting to demo last seasons tire, let me know and I will pass the tire on to you.

862631237_it4Xz-L.jpg