Sneeker

Carlsbad USGP:1980: The Movie

before i tell him 100%...TH? all good??

B) ..he's a Triumph guy

Yes Updated 1st post.

I walked over at lunch. Street parking is FREE after 6 PM. Do not tempt the meter folks by saving a quarter if it's "just 15 minutes"... they will find you (ask me how I know....$35). Please do not leave valuables in plain view in your car.

The Yard House is two blocks east of Spreckles on Broadway.

Thanks again to Sneeker for putting this event out there! Should be a good time.

If anyone needs to unload 2 tickets I'll take them.

Is it possible to buy tickets at the door?

I will NOT be making it tonight, I am staying in Vegas for more work.

Thanks for the offer.

If anyone needs to unload 2 tickets I'll take them.

Is it possible to buy tickets at the door?

Yes, they will be for sale at the door.

As per Premiere co-producer, Scott Cox - tel 760.436.9937

Yard House time is your call. Brenden brings up a good point.....happy hour ends at 6. I'll be placing my order prior to that.

Just got back from meeting one of the coordinators at Spreckles. Doors open at 7:30 so autographs will be available then from many former pro's. Nice Yamaha on display.

Still one more ticket available for $12.50.

At the door for $20 or $30 for two. Box Office open now and they'll probably close at 6 when the VIP event starts in the lobby.

I just want to thank Ken for putting it all together. I had a great time, Donna enjoyed the story (knowing nothing of the USGP) and she likes to collect art so she bought the prints of Marty. As cinema I thought the movie was an OK documentary, but being in that crowd for the premier was fantastic!

Thanks again Ken!

I had fun too. Have to agree on that. Movie was Decent. Dragged on a bit, but it was all about the crowd and excitement.

Brought back old memories of the last time I rode the International track also in 1980, at ABC Wide World Of Sports Womens Motocross championship.

Now I will have to buy the DVD of course.

Had a great time last night.. Sorry I bailed so quickly but I had a long drive home..

Thanks to Ken for putting it together..

Had a great time last night.. Sorry I bailed so quickly but I had a long drive home..

I followed you right out the door, and was probably home before most people got out of the theater. I admired your jump-and-go spirit.

But did you have to hold my hand when Moates was about to win? I mean, I like you and everything, but....

But did you have to hold my hand when Moates was about to win? I mean, I like you and everything, but....

Saw that....didn't wanna say anything...

Thx go to Sneeker for kickin' this thing off & all for just enjoying a night out.

i went the other direction, and watched the whole credits...some cool B-roll stuff on there...but i watch all the credits of all the movies i see.

from my 11 yr old memory bank, it brought back a LOT of memories *sigh*

was a snapshot of 1980 southern California..i liked it.

:o..i watch the credits, b/c someday i WILL have one on there too :lol:

thanks to TH and Sneeker!!!

It was a good time for us 2 wheeled fanatics to relive that bit of motocross history again. Thanks to Trophy and Sneeker for putting it together!

You were not complaining at the time.. :lol:

that was almost a blow off for me,,,so glad I went.

Hope all had a good time, from my Cafe Husky post (cut and paste)

Went to the San Diego event last night. Almost blew it off. Glad I didn't, special attendees included "The Man" Roger D "Bad Brad" Lackey (seated right behind us)), "Golden Boy" Glover, Danny LaPorte and many many former top pros and local SoCal MX guys from the 70-80-90s MX scene. Was a good moto flick and a nice tribute to Marty Moates.

Interviewees and focus riders (some no longer with us like Marty) in the movie include so many riders/mechs/tv personalities it is hard to remember but here are a few last names, DeCoster, Tripes, Pomeroy, LaPorte, Wolsink, Carlqvist, Lechien,Johnson,Bailey, Tripp, Arnold, Siemen, LOP Yamaha folks, Hannah,Moates family members, track owners and many more that didnt come to my head at the moment.

Go see the film or buy it. It has great ABC sports clips, great photos, and fun history of the day the day a privateer US rider from a private team went 1-1 at the USGP MX. The program they gave us has the entry list for the 500cc FIM USGP and the AMA 250cc races for that day at Carlsbad. And all the adverts are from the era!!The lists are a complete who's who of MX racers from history almost every name is recognizable from both lists. It was a cool event.

I'm not gonna pretend to understand the rules of USGP racing in the 80's but why were there 2 races? I thought it was 1 and done.

Thanks Trophy for the the tix. It was cool seeing everyone there for the event.

mx moto1 and moto 2 always been like that except when some orgs ran 3 shorter motos

2 45 min moto format is the classic and really separates the very well conditioned from the conditioned athletes.

(soccer match 2x 45 min)

mx moto1 and moto 2 always been like that except when some orgs ran 3 shorter motos

2 45 min moto format is the classic and really separates the very well conditioned from the conditioned athletes.

(soccer match 2x 45 min)

funny this came up...i heard, and for some reason my mind caught it too much...but the term "40 plus 2" came somewhere...

i looked around a little, and viola....gOusgpCLOCK.jpg

i guess it's 40 minutes plus 2 laps...interesting(*to me anyway)

:lol:...and really, i was genuinely curious about that phrase since the movie...but i am like that.

A.C.A. ran 3 twenty minute motos. I kind of liked that format. But we ran that format on the little track up front, just above the drag strip.

A.M.A. ran two motos, but I remember them as being sort of short also. Maybe the expert class ran the 45 minute motos and the lower classes ran the short ones.

My favorite was Grand Prix though, which many of the old timers will remember as 1 two hour race on an extended course.