paulmbowers

Moto Math

Just got the OK from my son's 4th grade teacher to bring my bike into the classroom as a subject for math/science instruction. Should be cool- I want to talk about:

Fuel/air ratios- explain a carb and ideal mixture

Final drive ratios- how many teeth in the sprocket vs the countershaft expressed as a ratio, then rotate the rear wheel one revolution and count the number of revolutions in the smaller countersprocket

fuel capacity and calculate fuel range at two provided mpg- one for street cruising and another for the dirt.

traction- slick vs knobby

center of gravity- where is the mass of the bike located

nature of materials- have a kid whack the tank with a mallet to show plastic does not dent.

What other lessons can be taught with a bike as a tool?

I can't start it.

Just got the OK from my son's 4th grade teacher to bring my bike into the classroom as a subject for math/science instruction. Should be cool- I want to talk about:

Fuel/air ratios- explain a carb and ideal mixture

Final drive ratios- how many teeth in the sprocket vs the countershaft expressed as a ratio, then rotate the rear wheel one revolution and count the number of revolutions in the smaller countersprocket

fuel capacity and calculate fuel range at two provided mpg- one for street cruising and another for the dirt.

traction- slick vs knobby

center of gravity- where is the mass of the bike located

nature of materials- have a kid whack the tank with a mallet to show plastic does not dent.

I can't start it.

what about a lesson about bikes with a tool as a teacher? :lol:

what about geometry? It can be part of the mass centralization... how fore and aft weight reflects the type of riding to be done. rake/trail and how they affect steering

Tire diameter/contact patches, and how a bigger tire is better for rolling over stuff

what about something regarding the space taken up by a motorcyclist, and how it can positively affect traffic?

explain to them why a backflip is much easier than a front flip (for me anyway) :blink:

Why don't you stick to what you know and show them how to change a tube B):blink::lol:

edit: Whoops, sorry Fakey - I thought the Slutty One posted this...... ;)

You might want to make a copy of the schematic of your bikes electrical system and hand-out in class.

Explain to them what each symbol is and what each part does?

Take in an extra wheel if you have it. Mount handles at the axle location. Put 'em in a chair that spins. Hand 'em a spinning wheel and have 'em turn it each direction. They should spin the direction they turn the wheel.

Did this with Alexis at the science museum in SF.

....and that's why bikes wanna stay upright while moving.

I can bring you an extra wheel if you want to do that

you can also put weights on the spokes... inside the cross pattern and outside... show them how the weight to the outside of the wheel exerts more force...

crawdaddy- We are trying to mold the youth of America through a hands on approach to science and motorsports... there is no room here for tomfoolery

:blink:

... there is no room here for tomfoolery

Fortunately his name is Chris....

It was actually the Exploratorium and probably part of This Exhibit

The final lesson of the day, ATGATT.

actually that is a good one... dispersion of force

Yeah- theres some question about that. If I completely avoid gear and riding lifestyle, it keeps the lesson in the abstract, safe from the fears of parents that I'm indoctrinating their youngsters into the moto lifestyle.

OTOH, it's prudent to bring in all the gear I wear for protection- there is a lot to be learned- and reinforce that motorcycling is a decision to be carefully considered.

We'll see.

thanks.

Good show Paul!

Did you explain the relationship between a spinning top and why the bike doesn't fall over when rolling? Gyroscope? I have visited my wife's 3rd grade class many times, once with all the protective gear but never with a bike. I even did a swing dance demo for them once. These activities make classroom stuff relevant for the kids.

Good show Paul!

Did you explain the relationship between a spinning top and why the bike doesn't fall over when rolling? Gyroscope?

Yes, with those words. And one of the kids made the connection with a spinning top. I expected a lot of wow factor by bringing in the bike, but did not expect it to work so well. I'd ask questions pertaining to fuel consumption on the 3 gallon tank, half dirt, half street, and their minds really took off.

Same as final drive- calculate the ratio between a 14 and 49 sprocket, then turn the rear wheel one revolution to determine how many times the front sprocket will turn. Emphasis on the mathematical predictability of mechanical relationships.

They GOT it.

I have visited my wife's 3rd grade class many times, I even did a swing dance demo for them once with all the protective gear

Great, no matter how hard I try I cant seem to shake this image from my head :good:

You represented that ATBATT crew well!!

(All The Black All The Time)

Impressive class...

School is not irrelevant to real life Will!

Get as much out of it as you can!

Impressive class...

Wil... don't pay attention to the old hippy... school is VERY relevant to life, in that it gives you choices! By all means pursue your passions, but realize a high school diploma and college degree mean a lot to some employers... for every non-diploma'd success story, there are 100 middle-aged guys riding a BMX bike to the liquor store to get a bottle of beer and a magazine...

there... that was my "dad" moment for the day

Paul- sorry I flaked on your sprockets...

*edit* case in point... I see he said NOT irrelevant... double negative caught me... pay attention to the old hippy

Impressive class...

Wil... don't pay attention to the old hippy... school is VERY relevant to life, in that it gives you choices! By all means pursue your passions, but realize a high school diploma and college degree mean a lot to some employers... for every non-diploma'd success story, there are 100 middle-aged guys riding a BMX bike to the liquor store to get a bottle of beer and a magazine...

there... that was my "dad" moment for the day

Paul- sorry I flaked on your sprockets...

*edit* case in point... I see he said NOT irrelevant... double negative caught me... pay attention to the old hippy

School is more important to yourself than your future employers because it is your own personal growth and development.

Old Hippy

(who went to college full time from 1962 to 1974 and didn't regret a minute of it.)

PS-You can pay attention to middle age Hippies Too......sometimes.

Old Hippy

(who went to college full time from 1962 to 1974 and didn't regret a minute of it.)

if I went to college in the 60's and 70's I wouldnt regret it either . I hear it was a great time...Wait ! Im a product of just that!

Gosh: you missed opening the gas tank, " You take a match " wil you know the rest. :)