After posting pics of the local riding area, several members asked about a tour of the area. I figure April 17-18 would be good, being two weeks after Easter holiday. Temps around here are usually in mid to high 80's in April so heat shouldn't be a factor. I have been working on a very nice little 50 mile loop that leaves from my house and travels around and thru the Yuma foothills. All but about 5 miles is dirt. Riding ranges from deep sandy washes, twisting hard-pack, mud hills and rocky hills. A visit to the Fortuna Pond and an abandoned mine shaft are on the route. I can send out directions along with info on camping and hotel options for anyone coming for the weekend. After the ride anyone who wants to hang around is invited for carne asada and cerveza. We have a pool and pool table so ride and relax. Or go back out and ride some more. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Inexpensive camping or parking spot? I don't need more than a place to park that is secure. Close to the dirt riding area preferred.

We want to play/explore for the weekend. :blink:

Picacho area is just north of Yuma as you come into town. You can park a trailer and ride for miles there. I will put a map together of possible places.

Talk to you this weekend, but It's on my calendar...thanks for the invite and planning...look forward to meeting you and the family

Nice! I've never been to Yuma. Preliminary plan is to ride out there Friday & pitch a tent. Will confirm as the dates become closer. Thanks for the invite :o

Are you talking about Indian Pass rd-Hyduke Mine rd area ? Yes something different

I spent a few hours riding it last Sunday. But that was still exploring and eliminating dead ends. Still working on the full layout and it may expand a bit. It isn't a killer but should be interesting. Bikeslut, I will be looking forward to seeing your Lap time if you make it out. There are a couple of other rides that are possible also along with the wide open Picacho area to explore. Enough to hopefully make it worthwhile for the trip.

it'll take me , Wil and Eddie 30 minutes

Uh oh. Are you sure you want to start making claims about riding times on loops? Isn't that how all the trouble started last time? Will you be riding a CR500? :good:

A few preliminary details on the Yuma Tour

Hotel and camping info for the Yuma ride:

The ride leaves my house which is near the Yuma foothills, about 10 miles east of Yuma city. If anyone wants to stay in a hotel, there are two close by:

Microtel Inn and Suites 928-345-1777

Comfort Inn 928-305-9000

Both are fairly nice. If you are looking for something else, then there are several other hotels in town.

If you are looking to camp and have area for family to ride then the Picacho area is a good choice. it is just north of Yuma as you come into town.

If you are just looking for someplace quiet to camp,(tent or trailer) then there is the Fortuna Pond which is close to me. Camping is free, but you will need a license if you want to fish.

I will get maps of both areas and my house out as we get closer to the date.

The course crosses what is known as Arizona State Trust Land which legally requires a permit. In the 8 years I have been here, I have never run into anyone asking to see it. (I do have one) To be safe I can get a group permit for the weekend, but will need the name and address of anyone coming. So if you decide to come and wish to be covered by the permit, then PM me with your name, address and phone #. I will start posting the names of confirmed riders next week and have maps out in the next two weeks.

Look forward to seeing anyone who wants to come out.

Dave

I am going to have to postpone my invite to Yuma until the Fall. I have work things that have messed up my plans for April. Any later the heat will be a factor. The ride that I planned has a fair amount of technical mileage and I don't want to have any one try it once it starts getting hot. I will repost the invite once the heat is gone. Hope to jump on some other rides during the summer though.

Dave

Uh oh. Are you sure you want to start making claims about riding times on loops? Isn't that how all the trouble started last time? Will you be riding a CR500? :unsure:

sorry... I never read these responses...

I was just making a joke... when I took Wil and Eddie out to jacumba one time, they took off on the border road... they came back STOKED!!! Eddie said "We went 100 mph!!!"

well neither bike had a speedo, and Wil was riding my WR that has a TOP speed of 80... so we made fun of them all day and in the post...

so when Randy asked how long a 50 mile loop takes, I was being a smart-ass... it would take a half hour at 100 mph.... I wasn't really bragging.

Sorry; taken out of context, and was probably only funny to the 5 of us that did that ride...

dstss; still looking forward to exploring your backyard... maybe in the fall?

Uh oh. Are you sure you want to start making claims about riding times on loops? Isn't that how all the trouble started last time? Will you be riding a CR500? :unsure:

sorry... I never read these responses...

I was just making a joke... when I took Wil and Eddie out to jacumba one time, they took off on the border road... they came back STOKED!!! Eddie said "We went 100 mph!!!"

well neither bike had a speedo, and Wil was riding my WR that has a TOP speed of 80... so we made fun of them all day and in the post...

so when Randy asked how long a 50 mile loop takes, I was being a smart-ass... it would take a half hour at 100 mph.... I wasn't really bragging.

Sorry; taken out of context, and was probably only funny to the 5 of us that did that ride...

dstss; still looking forward to exploring your backyard... maybe in the fall?

Looking forward to it too as long as I don't need a plate.

I just wanted to stir the pot a little, BS. We don't want it to get too boring around here, do we? :blink:

Still planning to do it in the fall. The basic loop is takes about 3 hours and is fairly technical. Nothing to tough, just lots of turns, hills, rocks and sand and some combination of the 4. I thought my motorcycle muscles were in pretty good shape, but I had cramps in my legs the last time I tried to ride it fast. Lots of varied terrain with lots to look at.

A few more pics. All of this is within a 10mile radius of my house.

post-13426-1270606869.jpg

post-13426-1270606884.jpg

post-13426-1270606893.jpg

post-13426-1270606916.jpg

post-13426-1270606928.jpg

post-13426-1270606944.jpg