piratemonkey

Honda CRF250X

I enjoyed it on the Primm Ride....Would you ever take a plated 230 on a ride like that?....

A plated 230F would be fine on the Primm Ride (for a lighter rider)......

K, this thread has wandered a bit, so I'll throw the Yamaha XT225 and newer XT250 in the mix. Plated off the floor, same air cooled basics.

Debate on.......

K, this thread has wandered a bit, so I'll throw the Yamaha XT225 and newer XT250 in the mix. Plated off the floor, same air cooled basics.

Debate on.......

Zina is too good of a rider for either of those bikes...........they're both too pedestrian with low end suspension and piggish.......as is a 230"L"..........she's wise to be looking at a 250"F" or "X"......or 230F......

Zina is too good of a rider for either of those bikes...........they're both too pedestrian with low end suspension and piggish.......as is a 230"L"..........she's wise to be looking at a 250"F" or "X"......or 230F......

Good to know. I didn't know specifics but thot I'd throw 'em in the mix. Both have received good reviews for what they do in Motorcycle Consumer News.

Happy Hunting Z.

Debate on.......

+1

I've tried to get her to look at WR250Fs, too... still find a plated one every once in a while, and I have not heard much bad about them... electric start, wide gear ratios, a mountain bike feel...

Not my first choice for sand races or hill climbs, other than that I love it

Yeah, I'm trying to keep the wet weight bike of the bike at around 240 lbs. The Husky is 280-ish wet and I don't have a problem with it until I get into more technical terrain. Once it starts tipping over, I may or may not be able to bring it back up. As for the DRZ, when that starts going over I may as well jump clear of it and just watch it plow into the ground. If you have teens who ride, I'm probably not much stronger than them so consider the bike you'd put them on.

I recently had the chance to ride my Husky and the Honda on the same steep switchback trail. The trail isn't wide enough to "drive" your way around the turns -- you need to encourage the back end to get around and lined up in the new direction as quickly as possible. I did it on my Husky and dropped the bike on a half dozen of the turns. I knew what I had to do, but I just couldn't do it on the Husky. I go back and do it on the Honda and it's so much easier, it's stupid. The bike is light enough -- and/or the center of gravity is a lot lower -- so I could almost come to a stop, lean it, and then roost it 180.

Also, until I started riding the Honda, I never knew why getting air was so amusing -- well, now I get it. I'm not going to start clearing jumps, but I finally get why people have a burning desire to do it. I think learning to push my skills on a smaller bike will make riding the bigger bikes all that much easier. We do have enough green sticker riding in our area to make it worth the investment.

Seat height isn't a big issue. I always have to take some foam out of my bike seats to touch the ground so I'm used to that drill. Electric start is a must because I can barely kick my way out of a wet paper bag -- and it's not happening for sure if I'm at all tired.

I can ride my friend's bike indefinitely since she's out of the country and only comes back to the U.S. for the occasional visit. However, I sort of want my own bike so I can sink the money into it to really make it perfect for me. I'm also a little hard on bikes so I don't want to rag hers out. I'd hate to be responsible for a case of "energetic disassembly."

So this is why I'm so motivated to go light. I want a decent performance package because I don't want a mediocre chassis/suspension to negate the weight savings. I'm still open to other brands if they are comparable to the CRF250X.

I know you'll find this hard to believe, but this gets old:

post-1009-1264270609.jpg

I've always liked the WR250f as an alternative to the X. The CRFX seems to get mediocre reviews from all the big websites, and a couple cases of energitc disassemble have occured... <_<

Here's the number's I found...CRFX comes in at 253 Lbs wet, 37.7 inch seat height, 1.9 gal tank, a stock X puts out around 24-28 HP depending on who's dyno you're doing it on.

WRF-260lbs wet, 38.6 inch seat height, 2.1 gal tank, a stock F puts out around 30-33 HP on different dynos.

But the important part is that the WR seems to have a much larger following than the CRFX...I've always loved honda though.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/11/454/Motor...0F-Comparo.aspx

that is from 2005, and may or may not be accurate at this time

and for the record... I am in no way a Dyed in the Blue Yamaha guy... I have just heard a little bit about the vlave issues on the CRFX, and nothing but great things about the WR...

I'm sure they would both be great rides

Yeah, I'm trying to keep the wet weight bike of the bike at around 240 lbs.........We do have enough green sticker riding in our area to make it worth the investment........Seat height isn't a big issue..........I want a decent performance package.......comparable to the CRF250X.

CRF250X: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/mcy/1559618800.html

or if you really want something "peppy"......

a YZ250F as opposed to a WR250F: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/1565619209.html

Yeah, I'm trying to keep the wet weight bike of the bike at around 240 lbs.........We do have enough green sticker riding in our area to make it worth the investment........Seat height isn't a big issue..........I want a decent performance package.......comparable to the CRF250X.

CRF250X: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/mcy/1559618800.html

or if you really want something "peppy"......

a YZ250F as opposed to a WR250F: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/1565619209.html

red sticker, no lectric start, 5 speed *edit- thanks Chris... I thought the 06 was still a 4 speed... that red sticker is the real deal breaker for me, and the starter sounds like a big one for Zina (and I don't blame her... I have picked my DRZ for some rides, where the WR WOULD be better, unless I stalled it (Trail 5 and the Granite Wall at Lark are two examples)

Zina... just send me $5000 and I'll have a bike for you in a few weeks... :lol:

red sticker, no lectric start, 4 speed

Whoops :lol: ......There's a price to be paid for "peppy" (no button)......FYI, it's a 5 speed

Anyway, that CRF250X looks pretty sweet and comes with a stabilizer.........

Debate on.......

I'm sorry, but the 230F is in the same group as the XT225, the XT250, the CRF230L, etc. They are all two valve, air cooled, under-suspended, overweight, fun little bikes.

The CRF250X, WR250R, TE250, 250EXC....these are the bikes that Zina is looking for. Light weight, high revving, excellent suspension, really fun little bikes.

Been doing more due diligence on the Honda and came across a thread on advrider with a funny comment:

"The reason these $7k new, high performance CRF250X's are a "good deal" used (i.e., cheap) is because they often require extensive rebuilds. They have the resale value of a used popsicle kept in the sun."

Not just a used popsicle, or a popsicle kept in the sun, but both!

Bummed I am not a mechanic, or still married to one -- engine rebuilds are way outside my scope.

Been doing more due diligence on the Honda and came across a thread on advrider with a funny comment:

"The reason these $7k new, high performance CRF250X's are a "good deal" used (i.e., cheap) is because they often require extensive rebuilds. They have the resale value of a used popsicle kept in the sun."

Not just a used popsicle, or a popsicle kept in the sun, but both!

Bummed I am not a mechanic, or still married to one -- engine rebuilds are way outside my scope.

Engines are easy and cheap to rebuild on a KDX and they last forever, so you won't be doing much of that if you own one. B)

THE FIRST 2 YEARS OF THE 250X HAD VALVE PROBLEMS. THE VALVES WOULD TIGHTEN UP AND RUIN THE HEAD. YOU MIGHT WANNA CHECK THIS OUT, SEE WHAT YEAR HONDA FIXED IT.

Yes, Go for the 2006 or later!

Check your PM......just found a smokin deal on an 08' with about 10 hrs on it

everyone who rides with you is telling you a 200cc 2 stroke is where its at.

maybe mctrails is willing to part with his?>