650hucker

In the market (soon) for a new dirtbike

I'm looking for a new dirtbike to replace my 100 and 70. It'd be nice if it was plated, but this bike is going to be for the trails and track, but mostly trails.

What's the downside to 2-strokes other than spark plugs fouling and pre-mixed gas? I hate 2-strokes but a lot of people love them...

I'm going back and forth between a 250 or a 450. Not sure which brand is best. Looking for used, and probably could manage 2,000 or so, if it's a plated dirtbike, 2,700. I like KTM, but they're super high maintenence?

Weight differences between the 250 and 450s are only about 20-30 lbs...but HP gain is about 10. Which would be better for technical trails and jumping? I'm a smaller rider, 5'8" 135 lbs

Thanks everyone!

I think you are kinda all over the place in your post. Do a little more homework. I have run some of my two strokes for a couple of seasons and never have fouled a plug. Like any other bike when there set up right no problems. They are I think less $ to keep up, I replace a complete top end on our 02 YZ 125 for around $600. That was all new parts, piston, cylinder, powervalves, everything.

At 135lb a 200cc to 300cc would be what you want IMO. Over the 20 or so bikes I have now only one is a 4 stroke. Your buddy is going to have a blast on that two stroke he just got. Good luck. You will have fun.

What's the downside to 2-strokes other than spark plugs fouling and pre-mixed gas? I hate 2-strokes but a lot of people love them...

Where've you been? I haven't fouled a sparkplug on a full sized two stroke in the last 15 years..... Besides being inexpensive to maintain and modify, easy to start, almost twice the power output of their 4 stroke engine displacement equal, good smooth quick power and impressive lugging abilities, having the wonderful smelling exhaust (if you use the right oil) and being somewhat lightweight as well....oh well, I can't think of any negatives except for the later models not being able to be green stickered or plated.

I can sum it up in one word: green sticker

Kelly-of course he is all over the place in his post...he's 15. But you give good advice; a two stroke especially a green sticker is a great dirtbike

Wil-dont worry about the plate if you're keeping the DR. Get a real dirtbike, and enjoy it for dirt only rides

I have one 4 stroke and two 2 strokes....we only fouled a plug once, and that was because my kids were "lugging" it around camp when they first rode it...no troubles since and I'm in your Newb category.....My kawasaki kdx 200 and 220 run great for trail riding and have good low ends, for me at least....takes a little clutch feathering, but they do fine ...I take the 200 to the track too....very light weight...

I was lucky enough to get the 220 with a plate thanks to some guys here who saw it for sale and let me know....unfortunately the other is red sticker so not suppose to run in the mountains April - Oct. 1....

Wil, I'd be happy to let you try one of those before you decide if you like...

Let me know

Where've you been? I haven't fouled a sparkplug on a full sized two stroke in the last 15 years.....

....I'm guessing Birth to High School....

Wil, I'd have to second BS's comment. With your skills and size, a 250ish 2 stroke would be FUN! As Kelly & DD mentioned, correct settings and fuel mixture & you're good.

Happy Hunting!

Alright thanks guys. I've always hated two-strokes because of the noise and everything...We'll see though.

I definitly have to get a green stickered.

Is it true that the top end on 2-strokes has to be replaced in a 1/3 of the time that a 4-stroke needs? How often have you guys replaced a top end.

Alright thanks guys. I've always hated two-strokes because of the noise and everything...We'll see though.

That's another reason that I like riding a two stroke. When I am on tight over grown trails, I can clearly hear four strokes coming from the other direction over the sound of my own engine. I always have trouble hearing anything over the sound of a four stroke motor when I'm riding one. Four strokes are the first sound that I hear from far away, way more so than a two stroke. And finally, I've managed to melt a few pairs of riding pants on a four stroke exhaust, but never ever has that happened on a two stroke.

B) I meant two-strokes are LOUD. And very annoying. My dad said he wouldn't let me get a 2-stroke, too much work. 4 strokes are just more reliable, no mixxing fuel, just hop on and go.

So now we're back to 250 vs 450 four stroke. 250 probably has enough power, more than I can ever hope use, but a 450 would probably put out the power my 650 does, and might feel more natural

B) I meant two-strokes are LOUD.

And the point of my post was to say that two strokes (at least mine have been) quiet. Quiet enough to be quieter than four strokes out on the trail. Also there is no problem with reliability. They are great and more reliable, plus easier and cheaper to care for than a four stroke MX machine.

Mimi-always about the wardrobe

Wil- a two stroke 250 or 300 is great- yeah; they need top end work more often, but it is relatively cheap compared to a 4 stroke...a 250 4 stroke is also an option; not as much power but a great learning tool. Keep the corner speed up, and they are fun, even for overweight people like myself. Faster than my DRZ most of the time, and way less tiring at the end of the day

Mimi-always about the wardrobe

Go melt your own pants. Oh wait, you did....or wait, that was your leg you melted on the exhaust of my four stroke trail bike. B)

Well, there's no way I can get a 2-stroke. Also, it's not cheaper if you never have to replace a top end on 4 strokes lol.

So, YZF, CRF, RM-Z, KX, Husky, husaberg, KTM? Just looking for opinions. I'm looking at RM-Zs, KTMs, and CRFs

B) I meant two-strokes are LOUD. And very annoying. My dad said he wouldn't let me get a 2-stroke, too much work. 4 strokes are just more reliable, no mixxing fuel, just hop on and go.

So now we're back to 250 vs 450 four stroke. 250 probably has enough power, more than I can ever hope use, but a 450 would probably put out the power my 650 does, and might feel more natural

I think a 250 stroke is alot quieter then a 250 or 450 4 stroke. And too much work HaaaaaHaaaa. Like I said before young man, do your homework. A four stroke will demand way more maintenance then a 2 stroke. Way less money to operate a 2 stoke, over the time of oil changes, filters, valve adjustments. And unless you plan on doing all this work yourself get ready to pay. I ride both so its all up to you, just don't say things with out learning about the subject. 2 strokes don't take more work and 4 strokes are not more reliable. It all comes down to you and how you take care of your toys.

There you have it. Two votes for two strokes for quiet and reliable and cheaper and easier to work on. B) :ok:

Well, there's no way I can get a 2-stroke. Also, it's not cheaper if you never have to replace a top end on 4 strokes lol.

And you are just dreaming if you think that you will never have to replace anything in the top end of a four stroke, especially a competition model. Like Kelly said, the maintainence schedule is pretty heavy for one of those. Once the top end goes, you'll likely need to do the bottom end as well on an MX model. If you don't, that will grenade shortly after the top end rebuild. Not so with a two stroke.

If dad says "no" to a two stroke, that may be it... maybe not

Things HAVE changed over the years, Wil, and your dad might not be "up" on the latest info... that being said; If I had to pick a 250 or 450 four stroke for the trail and the track, I would go Yamaha... WR250F for trails, 450F for trails and tracks/desert... YZF in either variety for tracks

Lighting... light weight... reliable... electric start on the newer WRFs... surf Thumpertalk, and all the model specific forums... DON'T ASK... answers are SO predictable, you don't need to ask THERE! Look in to the forums of the bikes you are considering... you'll see very honest opinions, when they are JUST talking about the bike... ASK about the bike, and it becomes very polarized.... KTMs suck... CRFs eat valves... Yamahas don't turn...

really; read the forums... run some talking points past your dad... he may want to learn more.

Well i am here to say to go orange myself. Will i have a couple of ktm machines you can ride in both 250 and 450 flavors. My 250sxf is my track bike and it now is approaching 160 hrs on it with nothing more than rings being replaced and regular oil and filter changes. My 450 xc is the green sticker trail, track, desert bike and i have only put tires and oil and filters in 85 hrs on this one so don't fall for the two stroke is cheaper line, sorry just don't buy it. Any time you want to take either for a ride let me know. I just seem to prefer the ktm feel but i think any modern bike is a great choice if you are comfortable on it.

Fraid I'm going to have to go with Socal and DD on this one. Two stroke are a breeze, especially for those who like to ride hardcore.

Well i am here to say to go orange myself. Will i have a couple of ktm machines you can ride in both 250 and 450 flavors. My 250sxf is my track bike and it now is approaching 160 hrs on it with nothing more than rings being replaced and regular oil and filter changes. My 450 xc is the green sticker trail, track, desert bike and i have only put tires and oil and filters in 85 hrs on this one so don't fall for the two stroke is cheaper line, sorry just don't buy it. Any time you want to take either for a ride let me know. I just seem to prefer the ktm feel but i think any modern bike is a great choice if you are comfortable on it.

I will have to argue the don't fall for the cheaper line. When it comes time to due major work to your motor you will pay more for parts and service. Reliability, its a toss up, if either bike is maintained good both will last. Here are just a couple prices taken right off Bike Bandit

KTM 07 250sxf

Cylinder Head 759.00

Cylinder 606

KTM 07 200 xc

Cylinder Head 133

Cylinder 718

I will have to argue the don't fall for the cheaper line. When it comes time to due major work to your motor you will pay more for parts and service. Reliability, its a toss up, if either bike is maintained good both will last. Here are just a couple prices taken right off Bike Bandit

KTM 07 250sxf

Cylinder Head 759.00

Cylinder 606

KTM 07 200 xc

Cylinder Head 133

Cylinder 718

And don't forget about valves, cams (and if they are separate, rocker arms), timing chain etc.

Don't get me wrong. My KLX300 has gone over nine years with only 3 or 4 valve adjustments done to the motor, but it is an old school motor that isn't terribly stressed since the power output is extremely low. I dread the day when it will need an overhaul $$$$.

Even I can maintain a 2 stroke. And the ride is like what I experienced as a kid on the grassy fields of the midwest for a summer when I was 15. 2 strokes are harder to ride and twitchy so you have to pay more attention to the throttle and clutch.

A green stickered two stroke with an electric start would be ideal.

KTM 07 250sxf

Cylinder Head 759.00

Cylinder 606

KTM 07 200 xc

Cylinder Head 133

Cylinder 718

yes but how many two stroke top ends have been done in the time frame to add to that cost? i can tackle the labor part myself so its just time for me and i can get ahold of parts alot cheaper than that. I would to get a new 200 xc though that is one fun bike ;)

Even I can maintain a 2 stroke. And the ride is like what I experienced as a kid on the grassy fields of the midwest for a summer when I was 15. 2 strokes are harder to ride and twitchy so you have to pay more attention to the throttle and clutch.

A green stickered two stroke with an electric start would be ideal.

hmmmmmmmm

2 stroke vs. 4 stroke. you might as well asked what religion is the best, or who makes the best truck.

My advice, as a father, is to go with whatever he says, especially if he is paying for it. Even if you are paying for it, I'd go with what he says because when it breaks, you're gonna hear about it if you didn't take his advice. Plus it's way more fun to just get out and enjoy the bike you get then sit at home without a bike wondering which is better. Just my .02