650hucker

What bike for a new rider?

When I was shopping for my bike I saw a lot of dirt bakes turned into street legal. I remember reading somewhere that the DMV is being strict on those conversions and it doesn't honer the title as soon as it changes hands. Does anybody have reliable information about this? All my buddies told me to stay away from bikes that were not street-legal when sold. Would be a pity to buy it and find yourself with that lemon.

When I was shopping for my bike I saw a lot of dirt bakes turned into street legal. I remember reading somewhere that the DMV is being strict on those conversions and it doesn't honer the title as soon as it changes hands. Does anybody have reliable information about this? All my buddies told me to stay away from bikes that were not street-legal when sold. Would be a pity to buy it and find yourself with that lemon.

I believe that if it was plate 2002? or prior it would be fine as at that time it was legal to plate many kinds of dirtbikes. Past 2002? the plating of a dirtbike (almost all) is necessarily an illegal conversion. This is just my understanding and would need to be verified.

I believe that if it was plate 2002? or prior it would be fine as at that time it was legal to plate many kinds of dirtbikes. Past 2002? the plating of a dirtbike (almost all) is necessarily an illegal conversion. This is just my understanding and would need to be verified.

yeah i wanted to convert a crf 450 maybe or just some dirtbikes, but in sandiego, the dmv lets people make them street legal only on some sertain conditions, so its a real risky move to buy just a regular dirtbike and try to make it street legal

I was looking at the XR 400 you were thinking about getting and I just wanted you to be aware. I found tons of DRZs when shopping that were plated and I started suspecting about those. I asked around and I heard about 1 case where the title never got transfered.

If you go for a plated dirt bike I suggest you go with the seller to the DMV and make sure the bike will stay street-legal. I called some sellers and they said it was OK, then called dealers and said it was not. I called DMV and the option was not in the answering machine menu. I can see how the sellers want to get rid of that bike and the dealers want you to buy a new one. With no conclusive answer I went for DRZ-400-S.

My XT 600 was imported from Spain and after passing the street legal tests and several trips to the DMV I only managed to make it off-road. It was missing the CA emissions sticker and I couldn't convince the DMV manager the the EU emissions are more strict than CA.

......make sure the bike will stay street-legal......

I've purchased/sold many dirt bikes with street plates....if the bike already has a "street" title as a result of an earlier registration change it'll switch hands without issue......when you go into the DMV you only talk "Street" bike.....new title/registration will be issued......no need to worry.....

I've purchased/sold many dirt bikes with street plates....if the bike already has a "street" title as a result of an earlier registration change it'll switch hands without issue......when you go into the DMV you only talk "Street" bike.....new title/registration will be issued......no need to worry.....

+1

Easiest way is to buy it that way...other way or way's are complicated and my fingers have trouble typing the sequence on a public forum

I stand corrected.

ok so what do you guys think,

1998 xr 400 with a lot of aftermarket parts for 1600$?

or 1986 non running klr 600 for 600$?

XR

(Assuming it has current street registration/plates)

So how do you get like an '06 CRF450 plated?

You don't........you buy it from someone who's already done the dance.......

XR

(Assuming it has current street registration/plates)

I almost wish I had a XR400 on the Carrizo ride last weekend,...almost

Just for the record:

XR250 = 240lbs :lol:

XR400 = 258lbs :o

XR600 = 280lbs :angry:

XR650R = 276lbs :o

So have Schwinn send you a photo of his bike, and he can show that to the girls

Hey, wait a minute, I just saw this, was that a shot at me, Bob? :)

If you want to ride the KLR, i have 2 of em.

One is set up for 80% dirt, with all the farkles and carb mods and all the rest of the stuff. Everything but the 685 kit (thats next)

the other one is set up for %75 street and fire roads, so its heavier, however if you want to try the KLR on a ride, let me know, you can take one for a spin

XR. & mail in the transfer after using DMV's online forms and fee calculator. I haven't stepped foot in a DMV in a while. Yeah, you might wait a few weeks, but 15 minutes on a computer and a postage stamp is far less hassle.

There is plenty of help here for maintenance issues if there are any. My office partner rides an XR400 at 6'2", 210 and it hauls him everywhere.

Pull the trigger and put it under the tree. :)

No... I would hope my shots at you are a little less subtle...

I was saying to freeride619 (The high school student with $2000) that what he can get for $2000 will not be a spec king and will not look great...you do have great looking bikes, so he could have that picture...

I would've been totally happy with an XR400 in high school... sounds like Eddie has seen the light.

I was saying to freeride619 (The high school student with $2000) that what he can get for $2000 will not be a spec king and will not look great...you do have great looking bikes, so he could have that picture...

I would've been totally happy with an XR400 in high school... sounds like Eddie has seen the light.

You know whats funnyis I had a 1979 XL 500 brand new in High School and that motor style is still around this day in 400s to 600s and 650s

If you want to ride the KLR, i have 2 of em.

One is set up for 80% dirt, with all the farkles and carb mods and all the rest of the stuff. Everything but the 685 kit (thats next)

the other one is set up for %75 street and fire roads, so its heavier, however if you want to try the KLR on a ride, let me know, you can take one for a spin

dang really thanks man, im a pretty big guy, about 260 lbs 6 ft. tall, but i have a lot of expierence in the dirt and sand with dirtbikes and quads and such, just not neccesarly with a huge bike like that though

but yeah that would be really cool

Hey, wait a minute, I just saw this, was that a shot at me, Bob? :lol:

yeah yeah, im just looking for a dirtbike that i can use on the road every now and then

nothing more