TrophyHunter

Sunday desert ride - early

I haven't been to the dez yet this season! I have Sunday free and would like to start early. I'm open for most but thinking of parking at PC or PC West, possibly Superstition.

As mentioned...checking interest. Can truckpool.

UPDATE: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530340 This ride will be happening early Sunday.

UPDATE 2: We will meet at ( Pinion ) 8 AM Coordinates will be provided. Map http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp...mp;t=h&z=18

Plz post if interested.

Riding

Me: Radio, Fuel Bottles

Fakename: Radio, Common sense

Hoss: Radio, Mustache

although you have said two of my favorite words (early and desert), I have family in town... so unless I can get them to leave Saturday night, I am unavailable... let's see... "watch my kids while I go to a gig...eat tv dinners... I'll be home at midnight.. buh bye"

I will be out in OW all weekend and plan on doing This Ride

I will keep my radio on in case I hear you guys out there

Hmmmm........Crawdaddy has gone over to "The Dark Side" B)

Hijack OFF.

Hmmmm........Crawdaddy has gone over to "The Dark Side" :lol:

Hijack OFF.

I can share the love and post .gpx tracks over on that other site B)

Hoss - I hope you don't get locked out by the gate on the lower end of Rodriguez by Banner Grade.....it may be locked with all the recent rain......but that's the only lockable gate on the loop - have fun.....

I can share the love and post .gpx tracks over on that other site B)

Hoss - I hope you don't get locked out by the gate on the lower end of Rodriguez by Banner Grade.....possibility it may be locked with all the recent rain......but that's the only lockable gate on the loop - have fun.....

No worries Chris, I used to frequent ADVrider also. There are a lot more people there from all over the world who read write-ups and post stuff.

From what BLM told me a couple years back, nobody has the right to close the gate at Oriflamme Canyon and Banner Grade.

Invite via PM. Unable to stay the night or go out Saturday. Hoss, if ur doing that ride Sunday early, I'd be up for it.

If it's Sat....I'm out.

I am definately interested, even though I would have to leave my house at about 4:30 AM. B)

A ride through Anza would be good for me to work on my desert skills before Crawdaddy's Terrible ride next month. :lol:

I am definately interested, even though I would have to leave my house at about 4:30 AM. :unsure:

Makes for an early day for me (& FN) too.....but worth it to get it in & get home at a decent hour.

I can share the love and post .gpx tracks over on that other site :unsure:

Chris- did you type that you can post .gpx files on that other site? You mean, if you wanted to share .gpx files, all you have to do is upload them to a forum post, just like this one, and other members can download those .gpx files?

That would be a terrific feature. And I think all one would have to do is, in the admin area, click the little box that allows .gpx files to be uploaded.

I think.

Is that what you were typing?

Would we need a moderator or administrator (hint, hint) to click the little box to allow those files to be shared?

Would we need a moderator or administrator (hint, hint) to click the little box to allow those files to be shared?

Yes, at the moment we can't upload .gpx files on SDAR and I'm not interested in doing the .txt trick (which no longer works on files uploaded long ago for some reason?)......I'd rather just link over to a site that does allow me to post my tracks like ADVRider and/or GPSXchange.........the problem with both of those sites is you can't sort by a narrow region......and you can't download tracks at all from GPSXchange unless you're a member so I don’t post over there that often because I'm out to share my tracks with the masses.....it's just my philosophical outlook that it makes more sense to share'em/get'em out there as long as they’re public access riding areas......the more folks know about'em/rid'em the more folks help protect'em from closure (I hope)

Strega has some ideas on a more user friendly way to share/find tracks.....he' may start hosting tracks on his "Stregalicious" website…….right now he has my Primm tracks on there and the neat Google maps overlay…..pretty cool stuff….

Yes, at the moment we can't upload .gpx files on SDAR

Why?

I'm interested...if I can get a hall pass.

Where is Hoss's camp in OW?

EDIT:

I see... X, Y coordinates will be posted, standing by for info...

UPDATE 2: We will meet at ( Pinion ) 8 AM Coordinates will be provided.

There's a waypoint in the track file for the Pinon Trail head/parking area: N33 03.421 W116 25.223

Two suggestions:

1) You might want to just stay on Split Mtn Rd. to the 78, head west on the 78, then turn right towards slot canyon rather than taking Old Kane Springs Rd.......that ~6.5 mile stretch along Old Kane Springs Rd. *may* be pretty whooped out in segments and not worth the time/hassle.....

2) Be advised that you need a range of ~100 miles to get to Borrego Springs for gas following these tracks and your normal fuel range will suffer riding in the sand (Jarrett is more heavy on the throttle than me......he ran the 520 dry on the final paved stretch into Borrego Spings about a mile short of the gas station.......luckily I was on the 620 super tanker and had plenty to spare).....so if your range is marginal I'd suggest carrying a fuel bottle or cutting over to the Blu Inn and topping off once you reach Split Mtn Rd.....then cut back down the 78 to the turn off for Slot Canyon.....

UPDATE 2: We will meet at ( Pinion ) 8 AM Coordinates will be provided.

There's a waypoint in the track file for the Pinon Trail head/parking area: N33 03.421 W116 25.223

Two suggestions:

1) You might want to just stay on Split Mtn Rd. to the 78, head west on the 78, then turn right towards slot canyon rather than taking Old Kane Springs Rd.......that ~6.5 mile stretch along Old Kane Springs Rd. *may* be pretty whooped out in segments and not worth the time/hassle.....

2) Be advised that you need a range of ~100 miles (minimum) to get to Borrego Springs for gas following these tracks and your normal fuel range will suffer riding in the sand (Jarrett is more heavy on the hrottle than me......he ran the 520 dry on the final paved stretch into Borrego Spings about a mile short of the gas station.......luckily I was on the 620 super tanker and had plenty to spare).....so if your range is marginal I'd suggest carrying a fuel bottle or cutting over to the Blu Inn and topping off once you reach Split Mtn Rd.....then cut back down the 78 to the turn off for Slot Canyon.....

the first 2 miles or so from Split Mtn. on Old Kane Springs rd. is whooped out......after that it is a little rocky and mostly smooth sailing.

the first 2 miles or so from Split Mtn. on Old Kane Springs rd. is whooped out......after that it is a little rocky and mostly smooth sailing.

Agreed. And more interesting than the road. But that's on a small bike, if I were on a 990 or a 1200 GS, I'd go around.

Of course, if I had a WR250, my streamers would be twinkling in the breeze, and my pink frilly basket would be akin to Rudolph's nose leading Santa's sleigh.

Besides.....if you hit em' fast enough.....you don't even notice them

Of course, if I had a WR250, my streamers would be twinkling int he breeze, and my pink frilly basket would be akin to Rudolph's nose leading Santa's sleigh.

It's not a WR250........It's a WR250"R" :unsure: ......the "R" stands for Ridiculously small girl bike (and Ridiculously FUN) :curtsey: :crazy:

I haven't been to the dez yet this season! I have Sunday free and would like to start early. I'm open for most but thinking of parking at PC or PC West, possibly Superstition.

As mentioned...checking interest. Can truckpool.

UPDATE: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530340 This ride will be happening early Sunday.

UPDATE 2: We will meet at ( Pinion ) 8 AM Coordinates will be provided. Map http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp...mp;t=h&z=18

Plz post if interested.

Riding

Me: Radio, Fuel Bottles

Fakename: Radio, Common sense

Hoss: Radio, Mustache

It`s possible I may show up but I`m not sure, If I am not there at 7:30, don`t wait for me.

jealousy, envy . . . What a great route this is! I probably won't make this one as I'm still running the Metzler Tourance, wrong tires for this ride I think. If I do show up, I'll bring my own tow strap and parachute ok? :rolleyes: