KIP

Sunday 1-7-07 Julian - Desert Ride

Meet in Julian at 9:00 am at Norm's Gas Station, Take Banner to Chariot / Oriflamme Down thru the Squeeze / Dropoff / Fish Creek Spend sometime at Ocotillo Wells (Lunch) Blowsand / Devils Slide Cut Across trail thru Badlands over to Borrego Springs. Probably Flat-track back from there. The Ride that I always want to do but never have had time too do.

Meet in Julian at 9:00 am at Norm's Gas Station, Take Banner to Chariot / Oriflamme Down thru the Squeeze / Dropoff / Fish Creek Spend sometime at Ocotillo Wells (Lunch) Blowsand / Devils Slide Cut Across trail thru Badlands over to Borrego Springs...

Nice plan. Anyone wants GPS tracks of the first part of this ride (thru to Ocotillo Wells), PM me.

What's the estimated completion time for this ride? I work Sunday afternoon but would like to make it for a ride.

Hey Guys, count me in also. This sounds like another great ride. I'm guessing it'll be around a 4 hour ride, whaddya think? I'll probably trailer from Ramona to Julian if anyone wants to load one up at the Ramona Mobil.

Jerry B)

I believe that's going to take more than 4 hours, maybe more like 6, unless you don't stop at all.

What's the estimated completion time for this ride? I work Sunday afternoon but would like to make it for a ride.

Plenty of bailout spots - S-2 or Split Mountain - I guess it depends on what time and where you have to work. I have only done the Oriflamme part of this trip on a bike - Down Chariot and Up Rodrigus. That takes 1 to 2 hours from Julian and Back depending on stops. My intention is to go to Ocotillo Wells - eat lunch and then dirt over to Borrego Springs if we are up for it. Flat-track from Ocotillo Wells to Julian is 35 miles (40 to 50 min ride) if you want to bail at that point. You could join us and gauge our progress at S-2. From S-2 to Split mountian is probably a 2 hour ride. B)B)

Update: I will be there FOR SURE!

See ya then!

Posted Image

Hey Guys, count me in also. This sounds like another great ride. I'm guessing it'll be around a 4 hour ride, whaddya think? I'll probably trailer from Ramona to Julian if anyone wants to load one up at the Ramona Mobil.

Jerry :lol:

Cool, it will be good to see ya again Jerry!

I may take you up on that offer of trailering as well! :D

Sounds like a nice ride! I will be there. I also will be trailering. Not familiar with the parking situation. Will there be enough for trucks and trailers? I am recovering from slight injury. I will not be trying to break any speed records, just taking in some scenery. How challenging will this be?

Not familiar with the parking situation. Will there be enough for trucks and trailers? I am recovering from slight injury. I will not be trying to break any speed records, just taking in some scenery. How challenging will this be?

I will PM you with my address and phone number - parking available in my nieghborhood (Kentwood in the Pines) = KIP. As with any ride the leaders pace will not have to be matched. Whoever leads will stop and wait for the last guy and designate someone to ride sweep. Our pace may be quick in wide open washes where it is safer to do so. Expect safe and sane speeds on corners where we could meet hikers, horsebackriders, and other off-roaders. We will stop to enjoy the scenery and the beautiful desert.

The challenging part will be the squeeze and Dropoff and the distance traveled in dirt/sand, but there are bailout points. I am thinking about adding Grapevine Canyon and Jasper trail on the end of the ride if time permits. How Big of a Loop can we do From Julian With Maximum Dirt and Minimum Highway?

Don't forget my Tubes :lol:

Paul

Hmmmmmm....sitting here alone in my temporary bachelor-hell (wife is in AK) and wondering what the heck I'm gonna do this weekend.

So, it looks like I might do this, but I'll be riding 100% unless someone wants to trailer me. I'm in Bonita (805/54 area). I got zero plans for Sunday, so if anyone wants to iron-butt this with me, we can leave EARLY from town to head up the hill to Julian. I'm game either way.

I've got a D606 with about 75% tread...is that good enough for the rough sections?

Also, what's the weather plan?

Thanks,

Jim

The weather looks good for this weekend. After a bit of rain it should be prime time out there! I've done atleast parts of this route once before. I'd rate it as challenging for sure. There's some good photos and write-up from that ride here. I think I'm in for atleast the 1st part of this one. YeeeeeHAW! Who else?

I've got a D606 with about 75% tread...is that good enough for the rough sections?

Also, what's the weather plan?

Thanks,

Jim

The weather (wind) could be a issue. Today I rode out to meet some non-plated friends in Ocotillo Wells. The wind picked up really Bad and we spent a couple of hours inside the Blu Inn while sand-dunes formed in the parking lot. You could not see more than 20' infront of you.

606s will work great - just expect lots of soft freshly blown sand!

OH Yeah - it was cold too - Freezing black ice cold on the mountain and very cool in the desert today - dress warm

Update: I will be there FOR SURE!

See ya then!

Posted Image

Jerry :lol:

Cool, it will be good to see ya again Jerry!

I may take you up on that offer of trailering as well! :D

Kevin,

I sold my vintage DR! :D What a bonehead huh? I got tired of kicking it. I guess I'll miss this ride, unless I can find another bike quick! One with the go button for sure. :D See you guys next time. I'm gonna miss it.

I sure hope so, i will be running 50% bald STOCK Tires! :ph34r:

Hey Paul!

I'll be there. I pumped up the front tire :ph34r: (and the rear one too!). Got some

spare tubes packed along with a pump now.

I've done alot of the Ocotillo Wells portions of the ride, but am really looking forward

to the squeeze/dropoff and the rest of the route. Been wanting to do these

areas for a while.

Guys, there is a slight chance i wont make it.

I did a small/short ride today to Otay Mountain (can be read here: http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=610) and had some small issues i need to tackle before i am able to do a longer ride.

FYI, for ANYONE with a Clarke tank, do yourself a favor and ditch the plastic gas cap, my nipple broke off so gas is spewing out of the hole, which i need to fix before my next ride. I also belive HondaPilot and DRZ Brett are having the same problems, what a crappy design!

I am going to do my best to make it, but if i aint at Pauls by 9am, dont wait!

Thanks

HOPE to see yall there

FYI, for ANYONE with a Clarke tank, do yourself a favor and ditch the plastic gas cap, my nipple broke off so gas is spewing out of the hole, which i need to fix before my next ride. I also belive HondaPilot and DRZ Brett are having the same problems, what a crappy design!

I've seen folks fix that with JBweld and a tube of rubber :ph34r: . Good luck, hope you get it before tomorrow.

See the rest of you there.

Jim

I've seen folks fix that with JBweld and a tube of rubber :ph34r: . Good luck, hope you get it before tomorrow.

Ha! No, now it is more of a "principal" thing. I paid good $ for the tank, parts shouldnt be defective. I will spare you the details of how it took me 2 weeks of emailing back and forth to get a new cap!

Anyway, now it is even looking more grim, i just changed my oil and had a few metal pieces in it, kind of scary, but i am going to take a closer look at it when i get home later.

Someone please bring a camera and post a ride write up for me - I left mine down the hill. :ph34r:

Someone please bring a camera and post a ride write up for me - I left mine down the hill. :ph34r:

35 toasty degrees in Bonita as I get my my gear on! See ya in Julian!

IS THE RIDE STILL ON???

If so, I plan to truck it up there...very cold in the morning :D:(:ph34r:

Alex.

Yes it is cold! I rode the KLR up here from Vista last night. Cold but beautiful Stars. 40 degrees F right now.

I am awake if anyone needs to call - I most of you a PM with my Phone and Address. Should be room to park a few vehicles in my nieghborhood. Come by anytime after 8. We will ride to Norm's and Gas Up at 9.

So far it looks like

Boston Mangler - Maybe

tntmo - Maybe part of ride

XR650lbum - yes

Marbee 40

Pyro

Bruceh

Papaalex