I'm looking at the Go Pro HD or the Vholdr HD. My question is where to buy ?(how much to pay) and does anyone have any informed opinions about these camcorders. Yep it's a Christmas thing.

There's been considerable talk about these two cameras on other forums and it seems that most people like the Vholder model best. On-line is where you would find your best price.

I'm not informed much; but...

I understand the new V holdr has the laser sight, allowing easier lining up, but no screen to view

It is also smaller, light, and has better mounting options...also, I think it came with a bigger memory card but don't quote me on that

The GoPro is almost traditional digi-camera, both in look and function.... Easy to set up with a viewing screen.

The new (3rd version) Vholdr is awesome. 1080p with ability to adjust contrast, exposure and audio. Very functional design and great accessories. Highly recommend. I'm going to sell my old ContourHD for $150 because I just got the new Contour1080p.

Check out the quality: http://vholdr.com/node/53722

Personally I am going with the Gopro HD remember there are 2 versions of the GoPro cameras now also. I like the flexibility of the mounts and the every X seconds take a picture modes which make it more appealing than the Vholdr line for me. Plus I felt that the gopro ones seem to stabilize better?

Shock knows way more than me about video stuff though.

The Vholdr website is a bit misleading, the Gopro HD does WVGA, its also waterproof in its housing vs water resistant and in december they are launching the extended battery pack and attachable LCD screen for previewing footage right on the camera. I really want to use the chest mount the Gopro has so you get a nice view of the handlebars and the controls which is lost in a lot of helmet cam footage. I find helmet cam can get boring because you can't see the bike or rider.

Also for dual sport riding the take a picture every 2 5 10 30 or 60 seconds sounds awesome when you are not going to try and record video constantly for an hours long trip even if only a few pics turn out its a lot easier than stopping all the time to try to capture your ride

Heres a video of some riding with the GoproHD using what looks to be the chestmount or a chinbar mount

vs helmet mount

vs side helmet mount which lets you see the bike

The GoPro picture taking and chest mount features are awesome. My question is: how easy is it to turn that little thing off and on while riding? The Vholdr has a slide on/slide off button that beeps so you know when it is on or off. The button is long so you do not have to be precise in pressing a small button or holding a button down. You just slide it and go. As for picture quality, most of us are never going to broadcast on television or HD so the optics are really more important than the resolution. The optics on the original Vholdr were better than ContourHD IMO. However, the new Contour1080p is adjustable and the images look great.

The GoPro picture taking and chest mount features are awesome. My question is: how easy is it to turn that little thing off and on while riding? The Vholdr has a slide on/slide off button that beeps so you know when it is on or off. The button is long so you do not have to be precise in pressing a small button or holding a button down. You just slide it and go. As for picture quality, most of us are never going to broadcast on television or HD so the optics are really more important than the resolution. The optics on the original Vholdr were better than ContourHD IMO. However, the new Contour1080p is adjustable and the images look great.

Riding without stopping or riding with a stop and gloves on? I would think the chest mount would be a fairly easy spot to activate it.(turn it on and off) mounted on a helmet might need a little more reaching around trying to find the buttons, Also you would need to remove the camera to look at the screen to change modes from video to photo to burst photo etc I would think.

Here is an awesome series of videos that tells you pretty much everything you could want to know about the GoPro Hero HD

So on a sidenote Shock do you think you will shoot in one of the 60fps modes primarily or use the 960 for the almost square profile of footage to get more height and width. What software are you using for encoding and editing? Youtube is now starting to support both 720p and 1080p but only official videos are in the format so far.

I really like the size and ease of operation that the contour seems to have but even more I like the function of picture taking every few seconds that the gopro has.

anybody know if the contour has that ability?

I don't think so Hoss that, the waterproof housing and the larger variety of mount options are the deal breakers for me

60fps is better for fast action video than 30fps - 16x9 widescreen is more popular than 4x3 standard

Contour cannot take pictures, but they just announced new accessories, including a water-proof housing.

I want a helmet cam that will take a picture every 30 seconds. Then I want to mold them into a video.

Regular video makes me woozy, and I can't watch them.

I want a helmet cam that will take a picture every 30 seconds. Then I want to mold them into a video.

Regular video makes me woozy, and I can't watch them.

the GoPro Hero HD does that as does its predecessor the GoPro Hero but the new one does 5.5 megapixel images. My hope is to get mine for xmas and have it on the Primm ride doing exactly that type of thing

I just bought the GoPro Hero (non-HD) today.....it has a function to snap a picture every 2 or 5 seconds......gotta tell ya that I am not impressed as of yet. Holding the camera in my hand and "sweeping" slowly from side to side.....the pictures are blurry. I can just imagine how it will look if I was riding snapping pictures. The only thing good about it so far is the video feature.

I will try it tomm and if the pictures come out blurry while riding.....I am taking it back!

Picture taking without me having to break out my camera was the only thing that sold me on this unit.....I don't get too excited about video taking (so far)

I just bought the GoPro Hero (non-HD) today.....it has a function to snap a picture every 2 or 5 seconds......gotta tell ya that I am not impressed as of yet. Holding the camera in my hand and "sweeping" slowly from side to side.....the pictures are blurry. I can just imagine how it will look if I was riding snapping pictures. The only thing good about it so far is the video feature.

I will try it tomm and if the pictures come out blurry while riding.....I am taking it back!

Picture taking without me having to break out my camera was the only thing that sold me on this unit.....I don't get too excited about video taking (so far)

Can I assume you returned it? You didn't seem to keen on keeping it on your bike...

One of the thing I liked about Shocks contour was how securely it mounted on my helmet... man... too many gadgets to get and too little money.

I have not taken it back yet......after Fakename told me that the blurry pictures I had taken the night before was most likely from not enough light......I tried it on the way home in the truck while driving.

No blurr! He was right......so now I am torn on returning it. I really don't care about taking video....but do like the 2 or 5 second picture taking ability as well as the option to take video if I absolutely have to have it.

I looked last night online to see how much the chest mount is....$40! geez kinda spendy for a strap around my chest. So I am going to see if I can figure out another way to mount it besides on my helmet. Maybe on my vest?

Not real excited about mounting to my helmet cause of too many trees/bushes etc that my helmet may come in contact with, especially in tight places like Big Bear earlier this year. I think I would knock it off.

I have not taken it back yet......after Fakename told me that the blurry pictures I had taken the night before was most likely from not enough light......I tried it on the way home in the truck while driving.

No blurr! He was right......so now I am torn on returning it. I really don't care about taking video....but do like the 2 or 5 second picture taking ability as well as the option to take video if I absolutely have to have it.

I looked last night online to see how much the chest mount is....$40! geez kinda spendy for a strap around my chest. So I am going to see if I can figure out another way to mount it besides on my helmet. Maybe on my vest?

Not real excited about mounting to my helmet cause of too many trees/bushes etc that my helmet may come in contact with, especially in tight places like Big Bear earlier this year. I think I would knock it off.

There was a guy who attached one of the mounting plates to the front of his chest armor/roost protector. I know I really want the chest mount when I get one but its pretty expensive for what it is.

Fakename.. He was right...

Music? Do I hear music?

Oh, please type that again!

even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again

Hoss- regarding video... keep the camera, and attach it to the person behind you (assuming they can keep up)... great for showing lines, body positions, etc.