• light MX bike
    • small dual sport < 400 cc
    • larger dual sport 400 cc < x < 525 cc
    • large dual sport > 525 cc
  3. 3. If I go, I'd also like to ride some trails in Moab

• Yes, definitely
    • Sure, if we have time
    • No

Was hoping to go back and hit Five Miles of Hell again this fall once I had a chance to heal up and get back in shape. Making progress towards that, but between work and other activities on the home front it's not going to happen.

So, I'm in the early stages of planning an assult on 5 MoH this spring, this time BEFORE it gets too hot. We'll also hit it before continuing on to Moab proper and riding the other trails there.

In talking with some of the other trials riders over on TT and reading some of their posts, many of the trials riders actually ride 5 MoH in one direction, have a lunch break, and then turn around and ride it back in the other direction.

Sounds like a great idea to me. Helps avoid that boring 7 or 8 mile drone back to the camp from the end of 5 MoH, still have the short one from the camp to the start of 5 MoH twice, but I guess that can't be avoided.

Rather than carry fuel/water all the way to the end, the guys who have done this drop it off along the way so they can refuel along the trail on the way back.

Anyway, putting a feeler out there for anyone who might be interested in hitting 5 MoH this spring.

I have a 30' toyhauler and could accommodate a few extra folks and bikes.

Daryl

Sounds good, Daryl! Especially the part about doing it in cooler weather and before getting worn out on a bunch of other riding. I want to do it on my 300 instead of the tials bike. None of the stuff I did last time was that hard and it will be nice to have a seat to use between the gnarly sections. Count me it for sure. :lol:

Depending on dates, this will be very high on my list. Maybe my 49th B-Day present to myself.

Based on my previous 2MOH experience, I think I'll be gassed out (physically) after riding it one way.......I'll glady ride back to camp and have a cold one when you boys hang a u-turn :lol::(:ph34r:

you guys that plan to ride 10MOH on 450s must be some pretty good riders. :lol:

We'll have to get some side bets on who makes it. I don't think I would stand a chance on a 4 stroke. Maybe on brianas 200.

you guys that plan to ride 10MOH on 450s must be some pretty good riders. :(

We'll have to get some side bets on who makes it. I don't think I would stand a chance on a 4 stroke. Maybe on brianas 200.

5MOH is definitely doable on a ~250lb bike whether it's a 200cc or a 530cc if you're an intermediate rider.......heck, even an old/fat man like me managed to get through the first half of it on my 520 (and now, after watching Doug's videos, I know what route we should've taken up the crux!)..........but I wouldn't even consider attempting it with anyone who wanted to take a stab at it using a heavier/bigger bike......that's just nutty :lol:

you guys that plan to ride 10MOH on 450s must be some pretty good riders. :lol:

Only have one bike that I could take there, so that's the choice I made. Probably would be difficult, but if it was easy everyone would do it.

Cool, looks like there are a number of potential riders willing to give it a shot.

I was 50 when I did it earlier this year, so 49's a fine age to give it a go.

Alan and I were both definitely tuckered a bit from the previous two days of riding in Moab and the high temps we delt with, plus a stupid fall in my case that tweaked my left arm. That and it's at 6300-6500 ft, so the air's a bit thinner, but not really that much different than going to ride up in Big Bear for the day.

This time we'll all be hitting it fresh :-)

I've been going to the gym and plan on being in much better cardio shape and hopefully a few pounds lighter next time.

Not a worry for those who only want to do it one way. If the timing works out right, there's a few local trials riders who'll come out to join us so hopefully I'll have company for the return trip - assuming that I'm still game for it when I get to the end of the trail.

We'll have to do some research on the weather patterns, but I'm thinking some time in April. We went at the end of May and that was a bit too toasty - especially in Moab.

I'd sure like to go back and hit the Golden Spike and Poison Spider trails again with two good arms and now that I know how to jump the crack I'm looking forward to hitting that again too.

I watched some videos of 5moh. It certainly is something I would like to do once I have a very light bike and a few more years experience. I like the technical stuff but I certainly need much more practice before attempting anything like that :)

Josh

I watched some videos of 5moh. It certainly is something I would like to do once I have a very light bike and a few more years experience. I like the technical stuff but I certainly need much more practice before attempting anything like that :punish:

Just "do it"

.......heck, even an old/fat man like me managed to get through the first half of it on my 520......

Mickey climbing up a challenging section while Doug looks on.....I was too lazy (tired) to walk back down......besides, I had a good camera shot from up top......

100_0412.jpg

That's an awesome picture! All I have is my DR650, ;) .... You think I could traverse the 5MOH with that baby? ...... Maybe with an insane amount of luck huh? ... I mean skill. :lol:

.............All I have is my DR650.......... You think I could traverse the 5MOH with that baby?

NO

The 520 is hard enough to wrestle around in that stuff......I had more than a few moments like this.... (glad I fell to the right rather than the left ;):lol: )

moabfall.jpg

That's an awesome picture! All I have is my DR650, ;) .... You think I could traverse the 5MOH with that baby? ...... Maybe with an insane amount of luck huh? ... I mean skill. :lol:

I think it would be awsesome to get a DR650, KLR650 or big KTM/BMW into a little bit of that terrain and get a photo. You would look like a hero!

On second thought.... Prolly not.... I would have to get air lifted out of there.. Just my luck..

.....You would look like a hero!

or an idiot :o:o:);)

If you've never been there you need to listen up to those who have.......make your judgements after you've been through it on a smaller bike.......I'm thinking my little CRF230F with a MT43 on the back might be more fun than my 520......then again, no back-up kickstart on the CRF230F :huh::o ......don't think I'd want to go in there relying on "juice" only :lol: .......too many stops/starts (AKA - crashes :lol: )

All joking aside... It looks like it would be a blast. I would love to go when I could. With the deployment schedule and training it's pretty hard to do any kind of vacation. If I go out there I hope to be with some folks that have experience. And,.. A smaller bike. I love my 650 but she's a hog. Well, for a "dirt bike".

Hey guys this looks pretty amazing... I'll love to try it... maybe when I get more familiar with my new 530.... hopefully wont need babysitting

Hey guys this looks pretty amazing... I'll love to try it... maybe when I get more familiar with my new 530.... hopefully wont need babysitting

Congrats on the new 530........yep, definitely NOT a place to venture on the 950!

If you ride the bike in and decide that you can't make it, there are a few escape points along the way.

I don't know how the escapte routes compare to the main parts of the trail, but I have heard more than a few people say that there are only three ways to get your bike out:

1) ride it out

2) air lift it out

3) bring it out in small pieces

You won't be able to tow or push out a bike, at least certainly not anything bigger than a trials bike.

I don't want to try to make it sound worse than it is or unnecessarily scare anyone away from trying it, but there is a reason that the trail has earned the name 5 miles of hell. That's not its original name by the way. I read an interesting piece on it and it was originally called the Red Trail. The hell part came later after folks started riding it on something besides trials bikes.

I have the utmost respect for anyone who can complete the trail on a 450 to 530 sized dual sport bike.

Seriously, anyone planning on riding a larger bike should really be in good shape because those bikes will start to get heavy really fast once you have to pick them up a few times or haul them over a rough patch.

Seriously, anyone planning on riding a larger bike should really be in good shape .....

Which is why I will be getting my body back to the gym right after AZ. There's no way I'd try it now. I'll be ready.

MT43, sprocket change, etc. I'd also like to go locally with some of the 5MOH Vets on some technical stuff/rock prior.

........it and it was originally called the Red Trail.....

The Red Trail is still there........~20 mile warm up adjacent to 5MOH.....that's what we rode first......much easier than 5MOH......mainly because there are a lot of open/easy breaks in the action.......5MOH is more intense......not many breaks in the action.......I'd recommend anyone/everyone ride the Red Trail first.......especially if you're just jumping out of the truck at 5MOH as opposed to riding 5MOH after riding in Moab.......it's helpful to have some riding time locally to condition your mind/bike for the terrain of 5MOH........if the Red Trail gives you a lot of trouble do not head into 5MOH......there's a good possibly you’ll break something on the bike or bruise something on your body at 5MOH.......that's why I personally would prefer to hit 5MOH on the way back from Moab as opposed to on the way into Moab.......I'd hate to drive all that way and not make it to Moab......you'll be more mentally prepared for 5MOH after hitting Moab first.......the flip side is everything will seem easy over at Moab if you start at the Red Trail/5MOH.....which is what we did (though I also brought a spare bike just in case....luckily I didn't need it :blink: )

Here's a pic of Mickey slipping through a section on the Red Trail......try and squeeze a big bike through there!! B):ph34r:

Mickeyinrockslot.jpg

Maybe once the temps come down, we can get Alan to lead some rides around Corral Canyon and McCain valley.

I'd like to take the trials bike and see what this Bronco Peak connector thingy is all about.

I also plan on doing some riding up in Big Bear prior to the trip just to get some exposure to altitude.