maverick1

New to the dual sport world.

Hello everyone,

I am brand new to dual sport motorcycling.

I just finished the Ride Rite program this past weekend, but before that I had not ridden a bike for over 20 years.

I recently purchased a 2007 DRZ400s. Basically it's a new bike as it only has 488 miles on it.

My only concern is that the bike is currently too tall for me and I don't feel comfortable on it since I can barely tough my tip toes on the ground.

I was told it's better to get a lower seat than to use lowering links or lower the front and rear suspensions.

I read that the Corbin seat lowers the ride height by 3", any truth to this? That seems like a big drop.

Can someone who has a Corbin comment on its performance?

I know the Corbin is a little pricey, however my comfort and confidence is much more important.

Here's a pic of my bike.

4lq96o.jpg

Looking forward to meeting and riding with you all.

Doug

may i be the first to applaud your choice of bike!

i am also inseam impaired, but thankfully my heft makes that less of an issue...as i lower my suspension myself!!

welcome to the group, i think you'll like 'em!

Blind :unsure:...had a GREAT SDAR weekend!

My only concern is that the bike is currently too tall for me and I don't feel comfortable on it since I can barely tough my tip toes on the ground.

I was told it's better to get a lower seat than to use lowering links or lower the front and rear suspensions.

Welcome to the club. I'm a little shorty short person myself and I'm always getting into trouble with not being able to touch the ground. :unsure: If you lower the seat height, it may change the ergonomics for comfort and control, so that is something to think about. I got a softer seat that I compressed more when I sat on it than the stock seat and it made my handlebars seem too high. I ended up putting slightly lower bars on to compensate. I still would like to put on a lowering link and slide the forks up in the stanchions an inch. I just don't like the idea of losing too much ground clearance.

Doug, before you spend the money on a Corbin seat try a couple of other things first. You can take the cover off the seat and cut down the existing foam to make a nice looking, lower seat. May not have the comfort of a Corbin, but if you are looking for comfort you have already chosen the wrong bike.

I have a factory gel seat that is lower than the standard factory one, you can try it out and see if that will help you. I think the 3" claim is an exaggeration. The best thing you can do for a tall bike is ride it a lot, you will get used to it.

I also have a lowering link I will sell you cheep, but I don't recommend it. I never did try it, but I have heard that it changes the suspension too much.

Does your bike have the 3x3 mod and rejeted? This is the first thing I would do along with putting some armor on it and disconnect the clutch and kick stand switches.

What part of town are you in? If you are close to Vista (even if you are not close) you are welcome to come by and see what I have done to my DRZ and switch seats. Thumper Talk is probably your best technical resource for DRZ's.

Welcome and I look forward to meeting and riding with you. Ken

Welcome aboard Doug! I think a lot of us tip toe but like the clearance and suspension travel.

Great group!

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm located in Lake Elsinore, CA.

My bike came with a whole bunch of mods...case shields, full Yoshimura exhaust with sweet carbon fiber muffler, 3x3 mod done and rejetted, Maxxis tires, new led turn signals, compact rear fender.

I plan on adding Acerbis Rally Pro hand guards, Unabiker rad guards, skid plate and some kind of seat mod.

Regarding riding gear, what would you guys recommend.....separate body armor-elbow and knee pads, or buying a jacket and pants with padding in them?

For mainly offroad riding I would recommend one of the "pressure suits" with built in pads. For dualsport riding mainly on roads, you could get away with a jacket with pads in it. This one is popular.

http://www.alpinestars.com/Bionic_2_Protec...0/p/650658.html

I run a Rockgardn flack jacket and like it, but I don't know anyone else in our group with one.

http://www.rockgardn.com/items/body-armor/...?1=1&menu=1

Good job on getting a bike that has all the goodies already. Make someone else do all the work :unsure: .

This is what I wear on the outside of my pants. Lots of guys wear knee guards under the pants to keep from scratching their bike, but my bike is for scratching. If I didn't want it scratched I wouldn't ride it. :angry:

http://www.alpinestars.com/Bionic_MX_Knee_...0/p/650633.html

Ken

Nice bike, and I would suggest against a lowering link. I think having the seat shaved would be a good start, slim it down so your legs aren't kicked out as wide too. You don't need to sit much while riding, so having the less than comfy seat shouldn't be a HUGE deal. Those Renazco and Cobin seats are VERY spendy, but look and feel very nice.

As far as gear goes, wear what makes you feel safe and covers the important areas. I wear Six Six One elbow and knee/shin guards. I also wear a Fox Chest Protector with an Ogio Flight Vest.

Get good boots, they make a WORLD of difference. I broke my foot through my old O'Neal boots, and think I'd have been ok if I had been wearing my Tech 3's.

Pic of all the gear HERE (Can't see the knee guards obviously)

Welcome!

About riding gear I would recommend a pressure suit with all the pads attached. They have chest and spine protection as well as a kidney belt. A padded jacket is nice but what do you do when it is hot? You can always put a jacket on over a pressure suit when you are cold.

Get GOOD boots! I broke my toe wearing a cheap pair of O’Neals. But then again my name is Roger and we seem destined to break toes. :unsure:

Welcome!

About riding gear I would recommend a pressure suit with all the pads attached. They have chest and spine protection as well as a kidney belt. A padded jacket is nice but what do you do when it is hot? You can always put a jacket on over a pressure suit when you are cold.

Get GOOD boots! I broke my toe wearing a cheap pair of O’Neals. But then again my name is Roger and we seem destined to break toes. :unsure:

IN O'Neals....coincidence or should Roger's avoid O'Neals??

Blind :angry:...intriguing minds wanna know

If your name is Roger you should DEFINITELY not wear O'Neal boots. :unsure:

If your name is Roger you should DEFINITELY not wear O'Neal boots. :P

If your name is Roger, I'd recommend getting a custom sole on your moto boots with bicycle SPDs (Clips) integrated into the sole....... likewise, SPD female receiver pedals integrated into your foot pegs.......that'll help you KEEP YOUR FEET ON THE PEGS since you'll be "clipped in"..... :huh::ph34r::o:lol:

Please buy a radio so we can use callsign Maverick!

And don't ride like BikeSlut.

Oh, and welcome.

To lower the seat, you can also try the Suzuki gel seat. I like mine well enough. I think it's a little lower and narrower than the Corbin seat. Also get used to scooting over a little every time you put a foot down. It becomes a habit after a while.

I wholeheartedly agree with everything said here...except don't ride like bikeslut...inflammatory that was

Best boots you can get

Adapt to the seat, not the other way around

Armor for you and your bike!

Practice...I'll be back on a bike soon, and will have a noob friendly ride

Welcome

Don't sing like fake name

...inflammatory that was

The thanks owe to Yoda we do.

blackberry induced mistype

inflammatory; that's what that was! (ok- still come off a little syntaxi)

Welcome!! You are in my neck of the woods, so we should check out some of the local stuff sometime!

The advice from people here is right on. As for your height issue, how tall are you? You might try backing off some spring preload, giving you more sag - especially if the bike was set up for heavier rider. Definitely get the best boots you can afford - I went with the tech3 alpinestar - a very reasonably priced quality boot.

As mentioned before, thumpertalk.com is considered THE source for all things DRZ.