I am going as my boss didn't say no (well either the one at work or home lol). Just you Tracy or bringing the boys? I need to figure out if I am going up then coming back down from Oakhurst or going straight there but we are bringing our friends up and going into Yosemite so I think the wife would prefer it if i don't haul all my stuff up there.

At this point probably just me. Maybe my Son. I would like to invite Brad just a little concerned that the riding up there may be a bit over his head. I can take my motorhome but would prefer to travel light and just camp.

lol if its over Brad's head then maybe I am in trouble. I had figured there would be some groups riding more intermediate stuff and the guys doing the black diamond.

I am going as my boss didn't say no (well either the one at work or home lol). Just you Tracy or bringing the boys? I need to figure out if I am going up then coming back down from Oakhurst or going straight there but we are bringing our friends up and going into Yosemite so I think the wife would prefer it if i don't haul all my stuff up there.

At this point probably just me. Maybe my Son. I would like to invite Brad just a little concerned that the riding up there may be a bit over his head. I can take my motorhome but would prefer to travel light and just camp.

lol if its over Brad's head then maybe I am in trouble. I had figured there would be some groups riding more intermediate stuff and the guys doing the black diamond.

Your not in trouble. You'll be fine :huh::lol:

Everybody has a different idea of what the term "intermediate" means. We are riding a lot of intermediate trails. Intermediate means that the rider will need a proficient amount of technical skill to do riding that is other than flat and straight. Intermediate trails require enough balance, throttle, clutch and brake skill to negotiate loose dirt, loose rock, small steps and downed trees, inclines and hairpin turns and a combination of those types of surfaces. I once considered myself a quite proficient intermediate trail rider, but now that I have gotten older, I consider myself just barely an intermediate trail rider. :huh:

Everybody has a different idea of what the term "intermediate" means. We are riding a lot of intermediate trails. Intermediate means that the rider will need a proficient amount of technical skill to do riding that is other than flat and straight. Intermediate trails require enough balance, throttle, clutch and brake skill to negotiate loose dirt, loose rock, small steps and downed trees, inclines and hairpin turns and a combination of those types of surfaces. I once considered myself a quite proficient intermediate trail rider, but now that I have gotten older, I consider myself just barely an intermediate trail rider. :huh:

I think conditioning is important up there, especially with the altitude. Brad is a good rider just a little out of shape, thats all. He's done most of the intermediate stuff at Gorman with me. If he goes, and I hope he does, he'll be fine.

OK, I'm gonna throw in a strong maybe for me going along. I've always wanted to go there and this seems like a good chance to do it. I'm also thinking about doing a Utah/Colorado trip around the same time. Might make this trip part of it but everything is up in the air right now.

Everybody has a different idea of what the term "intermediate" means. We are riding a lot of intermediate trails. Intermediate means that the rider will need a proficient amount of technical skill to do riding that is other than flat and straight. Intermediate trails require enough balance, throttle, clutch and brake skill to negotiate loose dirt, loose rock, small steps and downed trees, inclines and hairpin turns and a combination of those types of surfaces. I once considered myself a quite proficient intermediate trail rider, but now that I have gotten older, I consider myself just barely an intermediate trail rider. :(

I think conditioning is important up there, especially with the altitude. Brad is a good rider just a little out of shape, thats all. He's done most of the intermediate stuff at Gorman with me. If he goes, and I hope he does, he'll be fine.

I personally try to stay away from the black diamond stuff and not just at Troy Meadows, but everywhere. :lol:

There are plenty of nice fire roads out there. Jeff and I took some of them one day after I had injured my foot and he had injured his shoulder on last years ride. The scenery is wonderful.

Everybody has a different idea of what the term "intermediate" means. We are riding a lot of intermediate trails. Intermediate means that the rider will need a proficient amount of technical skill to do riding that is other than flat and straight. Intermediate trails require enough balance, throttle, clutch and brake skill to negotiate loose dirt, loose rock, small steps and downed trees, inclines and hairpin turns and a combination of those types of surfaces. I once considered myself a quite proficient intermediate trail rider, but now that I have gotten older, I consider myself just barely an intermediate trail rider. :(

I personally try to stay away from the black diamond stuff and not just at Troy Meadows, but everywhere. :lol:

There are plenty of nice fire roads out there. Jeff and I took some of them one day after I had injured my foot and he had injured his shoulder on last years ride. The scenery is wonderful.

Then I will follow you and Jeff on the non black diamond stuff :)

And maybe try a trail thats harder if I get ballsy

Then I will follow you and Jeff on the non black diamond stuff :(

And maybe try a trail thats harder if I get ballsy

We did almost all intermediate trails last year. There wasn't too much black diamond stuff involved. You may wish to ride some local trails that have been rated intermediate to see what they are like before you tackle the ones at 8000 feet.

A fairly easy intermediate trail to ride would be Kernan trail between Long Valley loop road and Morena Stokes road at Pine Valley/Corral Canyon. If you have ridden that and it doesn't bother you in the least, you will do well on these trails in the mountains.

Let me refresh the information about the details of the trip here.

Drive up to Troy Meadows overflow camp on Tuesday, August 11th and stay till Friday, the 14th or later. That gives everybody at least about 2 1/2 days for trail riding.

Takes about 5 to 6 hours of driving. 225 miles from Escondido, leave no later than 7:30 am from there.

Red, green stickered bikes, plated bikes, spark arrestors. Fishing gear optional. Not so sure the Kern will be very fishy due to a lack of stocking.

Night time temps in the 40s/50s. Last July day temps were in the 70s. May be campfire restrictions.

Riding at 7000 to over 9000 feet in elevation. Get ready to be tired and also rejet if need be.

Trails are intermediate at least, but there are lots of jeep roads and most trails are marked as to the level of difficulty.

No cell phone coverage, fuel, food or services as this is a very remote area. Be in good health and make sure your bike is also.

Beautiful scenery. Hopefully rain too. Camp is at 7800 ft elevation. Has one outhouse and one water spigot.

We can meet in North County. Last year we met at my place and people who were carpooling left their vehicles on my driveway.

Took a few pics of thunderstorms a brewing over the Sierras.

Jon

In the second photo Lake Isabella is at the edge on the right side. Lots of cumulus bulidup over the Kennedy/Troy Meadows area.

post-118-1248131767_thumb.jpg

post-118-1248131779_thumb.jpg

I may have a slight problem. I never checked with my CFO ( Chief Financial Officer ) slash Wife cuz I usually ride when I want. She just announced Vacation plans of her own. I never told her mine.

STAY TUNED !!Might be hitting Trophys Pool Party after all. I will let you guys know asap.

I may have a slight problem. I never checked with my CFO ( Chief Financial Officer ) slash Wife cuz I usually ride when I want. She just announced Vacation plans of her own. I never told her mine.

STAY TUNED !!Might be hitting Trophys Pool Party after all. I will let you guys know asap.

Hope you find out soon. It's getting pretty near now.

Hope you find out soon. It's getting pretty near now.

Is it all relying on me cuz the toy box?

OK, just got off the phone with my wife and she is very interested in going instead of me being selfish and leaving her at home, I didnt think she would care, she has never showed any interest in any other thing going on with our group. So we will talk tonight and have a answer for you guys. The trlr is a 5th wheel so if we have extra people they can ride in the trlr.

Cool hope it works out for you to go. I think I am convincing a friend of Tracy and myself's to go and he will be bringing a toybox if so. The route to get there is up the 395 etc right? any advice for towing something up there? Downside is I won't get to spend 2 extra days in Bass Lake riding lol

Dirt Dame,

Do you have a quick run down of people who have committed to this trip?

The only people that are presently committed to the trip are myself, Jeff and Pastapilot. Everybody else is a strong or a weak maybe. The ride is also posted as event at the Cafe Husky site, so there might be some folks from there interested.

If anybody else is definitely going, chime in now.

I am 99% out

On the other hand I am 99% in at trophys pool party :rolleyes:

So we got 3 people going. :rolleyes:

NOBODY ELSE?

I am amazed that there have been more than one thousand views of this thread and only 3 people are planning to go. :ph34r:

I WANT to go, but have been traveling too much already. Will be sad to miss it.

I WANT to go, but have been traveling too much already. Will be sad to miss it.

Well then, you get some Brownie points anyway :rolleyes:. :ph34r:

I am amazed that there have been more than one thousand views of this thread and only 3 people are planning to go. :rolleyes:

I'd love to go but work and a lack of vacation time prohibits most weekday trips. I save the vac time for family outings as much as possible. I'd be "sick" for 3 days, but that wouldn't go over well.

I'm sure it will be a great time.....

No brownie points needed....riding vicariously through you all...