Sign in to follow this  
dirt dame

Santa Rosa Mtn 06/26/09

Thursday night, Jeff and I made a plan to go to Santa Rosa Mtn. on Friday. We planned to go to the top and then go across Thomas Mtn on our way back. It was pretty warm in Anza and summer is finally starting to feel like summer. We had a nice leisure ride up the mountain, but found the gate just below the peak locked, so we busied ourselves checking out some side trails for a while, before heading back down. We stopped at the cafe on the junction of 74 and 371 for some lunch and then decided that since we spent so much time snooping around on Santa Rosa that it was getting too late to do a ride over Thomas, so we headed home.

CIMG4012.jpg

The spring was dry.

100_0068.jpg

100_0069.jpg

Yes, that is me and not a midget standing next to my bike.

CIMG4020.jpg

An "I was there but the water wasn't" picture.

100_0070.jpg

A drink of cold water and a view.

CIMG4036.jpg

Looking towards the summit (and locked gate ;) )

100_0074.jpg

A good place to relax.

100_0075.jpg

A side trail.

CIMG4041.jpg

Another vista looking westward.

100_0080.jpg

Another spot along a side trail.

CIMG4037.jpg

100_0081.jpg

CIMG4044.jpg

Looks nice! I may have to go 'JOB HUNTING' east of Temecula later next week ;) in that area.

Looks nice! I may have to go 'JOB HUNTING' east of Temecula later next week ;) in that area.

Yes, I start my mornings job hunting on-line and then find a nice area with a mountain or a lake or something where I might bump into some kind of an employment opportunity. B):lol:

You did well, usually the gate further down the mountain is locked as well.

I think that ride has the best Dual Sport Scenery in SoCal.

What no Snow???

DSCN2280.jpg

What no Snow???

We would have liked a little snow, I think....or at least some damp ground. <_<

you know you should start a business venture, and be a "paid guide"...you have some very valuable knowledge that many of us wish we had....you know everywhere to go!

Or maybe you could write and sell a book...your pictures are most often worthy of publishing..

(jerry schadd wrote one about hiking in San Diego....something like that would be great for riding)....

(probably red tape somewhere, but dual sport rides can cost alot....maybe the unemployed among us can use their talents to make money?_....who knows)

sometimes the 40 hour a week thing sure gets in the way of riding....(the downside_ as weekends are sooo busy out there.......but I'm thankful to have a job in these times...for sure....

you know you should start a business venture, and be a "paid guide"...you have some very valuable knowledge that many of us wish we had....you know everywhere to go!

Or maybe you could write and sell a book...your pictures are most often worthy of publishing..

(jerry schadd wrote one about hiking in San Diego....something like that would be great for riding)....

(probably red tape somewhere, but dual sport rides can cost alot....maybe the unemployed among us can use their talents to make money?_....who knows)

sometimes the 40 hour a week thing sure gets in the way of riding....(the downside_ as weekends are sooo busy out there.......but I'm thankful to have a job in these times...for sure....

I still use "Afoot And Afield In San Diego County" to look for day hike trips. It's how I first found Cedar Creek falls way back in 1992. As for guiding, somebody (Walker1) suggested that I start a guide service. The problem with guiding is an issue of liability. The business would have to have a pretty decent net to sustain insurance costs and other expenses, especially if my company were to provide gear and machines as well. I like photography and writing however. Maybe I could start a popular website and get advertising to pay it's and my way. Then I could quit looking for "real' employment <_<

I still use "Afoot And Afield In San Diego County" to look for day hike trips. It's how I first found Cedar Creek falls way back in 1992. As for guiding, somebody (Walker1) suggested that I start a guide service. The problem with guiding is an issue of liability. The business would have to have a pretty decent net to sustain insurance costs and other expenses, especially if my company were to provide gear and machines as well. I like photography and writing however. Maybe I could start a popular website and get advertising to pay it's and my way. Then I could quit looking for "real' employment <_<

Well a blog is cheap to start free even can get on on blogspot which is gmail and go from there. Could you get around the liability somehow like they are paying you for the information about the ride or something you just happen to be meeting them :ph34r:?

It is sad that liability has come to the forefront of everything...and people just don't seem to take responsibility for their own actions any more....

I can't beleive what the courts grant sometimes...makes no sense... <_<

Well, I promise to buy your book when it comes out...(really, it would be a WONDERFUL to the bookshelves of potentially thousands and thousands of up and coming dual sporters)...and your pics are always awesome... :ph34r: my daughter loves photography also...

wonderful ADDITION that is.... <_<

I would be more then happy to pay a guide for a ride like that. Just like people pay to take em fishing.

Kick down some bucks and lunch for the joy of getting away for aday and sitting down thinking about life without the noise and all the BS that comes with living in the city. There is no question that you have put in the time, in order to find these rides.

to set up a guide service would not be that hard to do, I mean gezzzz, I paid a guy $200.00 to help me with the passing of the M1 test and to use alittle yamaha 200 for the ride.

You have a knowledge of the back country that only comes with "Time in the saddle" Dual sport riding is becoming more and more popular and you should really think about cashing in on this. Just start with a weekend one day ride.

start out at $75.00 per rider and take a party of 6 or less, bring another rider for sweep and your in. you have plenty of friends that will help ya. you can teach newbees, the joy of just riding the back country,, Hell sign me up....and i will bring 5 more with me.

There are a few already, but no reason why Mimi shouldn't have her own biz doin' what she loves anyway! Plenty of resources here for web sites, legal advise....and prolly volunteer sweeps with comm gear.

Outstanding idea :blink:

Dirt Dame,

My Brother runs a american bike tour company that takes street riders through Europe in 7-20 day ride tours. He tours 6 months a year. Liability waivers is probably the answer. He has been doing it for years. It is so relaxing to have someone else plan the tour and use their experience and judgment. Let me know if you need any assistance.

Beezzz

Thanks for the thoughts and encouragement from yous guys. :ok: I'll give the idea some more thought.

Thanks for the thoughts and encouragement from yous guys. B) I'll give the idea some more thought.

and it's not like you would ever be lacking for sweep riders :D

as far as waivers... what works in most of the world does not necessarily hold true for California, unfortunately.

I paid a guy $200 one time for a guided bicycle tour of Mt Tam and surrounding Marin County, including rental bikes (for me and a girl)... it was pretty much a disaster... had to return my bike twice for mechanicals, Mt Tam (he had "special access previleges") was closed to everybody that day, and he was on a singlespeed... so I got to wait for him on every uphill, downhill and flat :ok: ...

Like others have said; people will pay to do it, and even if you are just getting them to pay for your ride, plus a little extra, you are still riding!

I was also wondering if some of the guys here would be qualified/available to do a moto-school... show people how to set up their bike for the track, and do moto laps with newbs...

Trophy; radios is a great touch... it will make people feel more at ease, and add to the social aspect

Have someone lay out the waiver for you, I have talked to about 15 riders and 10 have said, they would be more then happy to tip the kitty for a nice ride.

you have alot to offer, one is not only time in the saddle but I,m willing to bet that not alot of NEW riders know the ropes of simple things like fixing a flat, now i,m not saying you would fix a flat, but you would be there to coach em along so to speak. Plus, you can explain the simple rules of things like "what to carry in a tool kit"

Plus you know the areas where to stop for shade and to rest a tad, view points, and over all interested places to stop and look around.

This is all in our own backyard, not alot of folks can spend the time in finding these places.

Now, another way to look at this is, alot of people come from other parts of the USA, and have moved to the city, and lets face it, one can only to go Julian for apple pie so many times, Not knocking julian or the apple pie, just saying some people have no clue as to what is in our back county, you do and you enjoy riding, take a shot at it, what do you have to lose?

For support, you only have to look as far as this site for a place to start.

Sign me up for that Santa Rosa Mt. ride when you plan it...

(and I could use the "changing a tire class too"...)...

people like me really want (and need) to learn more bike maintenance, and other than maintenance days here on the site, which happen occasionally, not many places to learn such things.... :unsure:

might not come with full medical benefits, but sure sounds like a fun job for you!

OH yea it does snow there. Another trail ,If you want more chalange and rocks is Sawmill about 5 mi. east via road

post-13333-1247424856.jpg

I dunno about Sawmill road. I've heard that it's REALLY rocky. :unsure:

OH yea it does snow there. Another trail ,If you want more chalange and rocks is Sawmill about 5 mi. east via road

I can't find Sawmill on the map. Where is it in relation to Pidgeon Springs Rd?

Steve

I can't find Sawmill on the map. Where is it in relation to Pidgeon Springs Rd?

Steve

After researching it on Google, it would appear that it is no longer a road for motorized vehicles. It is designated as a trail and has a parking lot at the trailhead. Bicyclists use it.

Hi all, I'm a new guy here but I've ridden for years. Some friends and I did Sawmill trail last weekend in Jeeps and it's open but the second half is indeed steep and rocky. Santa Rosa spring was running fine and cold,as well as other wet spots on the trail.

Hi all, I'm a new guy here but I've ridden for years. Some friends and I did Sawmill trail last weekend in Jeeps and it's open but the second half is indeed steep and rocky. Santa Rosa spring was running fine and cold,as well as other wet spots on the trail.

Hi and welcome, Ricko,

Maybe you can answer my question. I can't find Sawmill trail on my map. Can you give GPS coords for the trailhead or tell me where it is in relations to Pidgeon Springs Rd?

Steve