Jaynen

Gloves and Knee-pads for longer rides

I have noticed that when street riding my alpinestar S-MX gloves seemed fine but I have used them on a couple dual sport rides now and I think from standing or putting more pressure on the bars I feel like the padding on the palm at the base of the fingers is getting worked a little raw on longer rides. I have developing callouses on each "pad" if you will. Is this normal? It just has me wondering about some other gloves that might offer good protection but be more comfortable for longer trips. I really like the gloves besides this one issue.

And the other issue I have is I wear knee pads not braces, I don't really want to buy braces but I need a pad thats comfortable and won't slide around when worn under riding pants. The current cheapo EVS ones I have only strap to the calf and so offer no protection from something coming above the knee, also my pants were pressing the kneepad into my leg when I had my knee bent and by the end of the day both my knees were a bit red and swollen. I was wearing my street commuting pants though for abrasion protection

callouses happen... the harder you grip the bars, the more they happen... try silk liners...

knee pads vs braces... age old protection question... comfort vs protection... split the difference as best you can... I wear the same types of pads you do, and they are fine for how I crash... a high speed crash where I tumble? THAT would make a knee pad all but useless, I think... a brace will stay in place better, and offer twist protection

I am fine without braces, but I wouldnt mind a "slimmer" profile to the kneeguard and maybe a 3 strap setup that also goes over the knee as well as under it around the calf

EVS & probably others make a liner that goes under their braces. I wear 'em under my cheapo knee pads and it eliminates the abrasion. Grips seem to have at least one factor in the callous equation.

Brian switched from the stockers to pillow top grips and has no problem hanging on & reduced callouses.

I'm putting a gel grip on the WR & trying the pillow tops on my DR.

I wear Alpine Star Bionic Knee Guards. They are pads / protection and not a brace. They strap both above and below the knees. Good protection but somewhat pricey. San Diego Sportcycles had some in the store when I was there last and at a “going out of business” price. I wear mine under my pants, others wear them over their pants, you decide.

I prefer pads but I want to find one that goes over the top of the knee with a third strap I think. http://www.bikebling.com/Dainese-3X-Knee-G...-knee-guard.htm

Those are for mountain biking but I almost wonder if the biking ones would be better because we have shin protection in our MX boots and a cycling guard will be designed around better movement characteristics and I dont think the downhill mtb stuff is really any weaker than the MX gear anymore but I could be wrong

My wife was never really comfortable with motorcycle knee pads, we tried several different types/brands and she wasn't happy with any. She ordered some tactical knee pads off the internet and those are the ones she uses all the time now. Just another option.

Here's some cheapies off Ebay, not the same that she has but same idea.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SWAT-ACU-CQB-SAS-Tacti...%3A1%7C294%3A50

Interesting. You know I read an article that said more injuries are prevented in car accidents by cops wearing bulletproof vests than they do from getting shot. And that a bulletproof vest actually makes a very good chest/organ protector from impact. (after what happened to Aaron and those guys in Baja maybe its a better choice anyway)

I want a little more coverage, when I went riding with the guys at kernan my first SDAR trip on my third fall my handlebar chopped me right above the knee and because my kneepad was only strapped to the calf and didnt articulate or anything and cover the top I got a huge nasty bruise and it was banged up for a good couple of weeks

bruises are there to remind you how much fun you had Jay!!! :( or that's how i rationalize it anyway....

saw some "military" ones at a surplus store for $10, might be worth a try to check out how they work...*shrug*

or try a few different ones out...see what you like...sell the ones you don't...just think typing....

Blind :curtsey:

And the other issue I have is I wear knee pads not braces, I don't really want to buy braces but I need a pad thats comfortable and won't slide around when worn under riding pants. The current cheapo EVS ones I have only strap to the calf and so offer no protection from something coming above the knee, also my pants were pressing the kneepad into my leg when I had my knee bent and by the end of the day both my knees were a bit red and swollen. I was wearing my street commuting pants though for abrasion protection

I'm not sure I understand where your current knee pads are falling short. I wear I've got a pair of $15 (or so) knee/shin guards and they seem to work great. Something like this one: LINK

I put them on before my boots and the boots go over top of them, holding them firmly in place. They only have two straps (both below the knee) but between the boot on top, and my pants holding the top, hinged section (over the knee) in place, they stay put pretty well. I think a third strap, above the knee, would be somewhat annoying as it would have a tendency to move around and rub (from you straightening and bending your leg so much) - but that's just my guess. They do make some with that strap. Here's a link to one set: LINK.

I'm afraid that some of those tactical ones won't provide enough shin protection. Between my boots and the knee guards, I'm covered from the toe to lower thigh. The tactical ones might leave a gap of protection between the boot and the knee, and since they don't tuck into the boots, they might have a tendency to move around in a crash - just my impression.

I'd head down to CycleGear and try on a bunch. They have an outstanding return policy, so if you're not happy, you can return them (I'm sure there's a limit to the amount of funk they'll take, so don't go on too hardcore of a ride until you're sure you're happy with them).

Those are the same kneepads I have Doug. When your knee is bent there is no protection on the top of the knee because the "cup" is attached to your shin and so its orientation primarily stays with the shins alignment not being centered on the kneecap.

I wore my riding suit pants and I think they were just too tight in the legs with their pads for the kneepads that was the biggest comfort issue I believe

Those are the same kneepads I have Doug. When your knee is bent there is no protection on the top of the knee because the "cup" is attached to your shin and so its orientation primarily stays with the shins alignment not being centered on the kneecap.

I wore my riding suit pants and I think they were just too tight in the legs with their pads for the kneepads that was the biggest comfort issue I believe

Hmmm... Mine tend to bend with my leg since the pants hold them against my kneecaps - sounds like a fitment issue (pants too loose??? Maybe the kneepads were catching on something on your riding pants, not letting them bend properly???)

Like I said, take your boots and pants down to CycleGear (or any other store for that matter - I just like CycleGear's return policy) and try a few on - it may just be the way you legs/calves are built...

for the record... I biffed on one of the North County fire roads... maybe doing 25+, and cross rutted... I had on the exact pads you are talking about, and very similar ones on my elbows...

The only real "injury" to speak of was an exposed wrist got road rash... entire elbow bruised from the impact, but it could've been a lot worse... knee pads stayed in place, and protected the knee quite well... pants were trashed, but i didn't have a bloody knee...

I HAVE felt them get out of place before, but they are easy to adjust on the fly...

Doug; Jason probably weighs 130 pounds... I expect his fitment is a little different than mine

One of the guys on my Moab ride fell and took a knock to the right knee just above the guard. Ended up with a nice bruise.

Could have been a bent knee pulling down the guard, or simply that he bashed a rock above the kneecap proper. There were plenty of rocks around on the Golden Spike trail, so who knows.

I have a pair of the $15 - $18 two strap knee/shin guards and so far they've worked OK for me - and I fall down all the time. In part because I ride hard stuff, and apparently because I suck while doing it :( In fact I'm on my 2nd pair of them because the foam on the first pair finally wore out.

Regarding gloves, I don't have anything fancy there, nor for grips either, except that on my Husky I do have a pair of the grip donuts to help keep my thumb knuckles from blistering as I tend to grab too close to the inside end of the grips.

I used to get blisters and callouses fairly bad on my hands from gripping the bars too tight. Over the years I've learned to loosen up my grip and that's helped a lot. Riding the trials bike in particular has helped a lot with the death grip, because you just can't do that and ride a trials bike properly.

for the record... I biffed on one of the North County fire roads... maybe doing 25+, and cross rutted... I had on the exact pads you are talking about, and very similar ones on my elbows...

The only real "injury" to speak of was an exposed wrist got road rash... entire elbow bruised from the impact, but it could've been a lot worse... knee pads stayed in place, and protected the knee quite well... pants were trashed, but i didn't have a bloody knee...

I HAVE felt them get out of place before, but they are easy to adjust on the fly...

Doug; Jason probably weighs 130 pounds... I expect his fitment is a little different than mine

lol I weigh 170 ;p

The issue I had was just like Daryl was talking about my handlebar chopped me right over the knee as i fell

I use the Alpinstars Bionic also. They have paid for themselves many times over from the looks of them. They are comfortable enough for the amount of protection they provide. I wear them on the outside of my pants. I removed the lower retaining strap and tuck them into my boots. They are just as comfortable sitting as standing, and with the articulated joint, I don't notice them much. The biggest complaint I have is that they garf up my bike where I grip with my knees. I put rubber pads on them but then they make black streaks on my bike (but they sure grip good then). I will be getting another pair if these ever wear out. There are 2 kinds with articulated joints these are the MX model and they were about $70 at Cycle Gear.

KneeGuard.jpg

I wear the KTM/Thor kneeguards......they're kinda big/bulky to wear under long pants.......doesn't bothher me since I pretty much always wear Thor shorts (Thor "Static" pants with zip off lowers.....I like the flexibility/breathability offered by shorts......the only exposed portion of my leg is directly behind the knee cap).......I also wear padded underarmor/shorts under the Static pants for hip pointer/tailbone/etc. protection ........these kneeguards have saved my bacon on a number of rides (I fall a lot)........the downside about wearing kneepads externally is as Ken mentioned above, they scrape up your plastics.....oh well.....whatever....better safe than "pretty"......plastics are cheap/knees aren't...

KTMThoeKneeguards.jpg

Those 2 I can see have a bit that goes above the knee as well which is nice, but they dont go down the shin as much as the EVS ones I have now and that Doug has also apparently. I prefer to wear mine under pants rather than over but it looks like I am not going to find all those things :ph34r:

I use the Six Six One 'Ricochet' Knee/Shin Guards:

6414-00.jpg

I use the Six Six One 'Comp' Elbow Guards:

6418-42.jpg

My pressure suit covers my upper body protection and fits nicely under everything even my street jackets

but they dont go down the shin as much as the EVS ones I have now

They stick into my boots over 3". Any longer would just be a waste. You can see where the guard is "clean", that is how far it sticks into the boot.

P5270009.jpg