Andy

Sell bike for skydive training?

So the day came that netted a bigger rush that I've gotten from scaring myself on various types of motorcycle - skydiving is where it's at. Up until now, I've not found anything that could make me think that selling my motorcycle is a good idea. Motorcycles will come and go, but the chance to get licensed and begin a hobby like skydiving is something I don't wanna pass up while I have the chance. What say yall? Oh, and of course, our forum members would get first dibs on the buy.

So the day came that netted a bigger rush that I've gotten from scaring myself on various types of motorcycle - skydiving is where it's at. Up until now, I've not found anything that could make me think that selling my motorcycle is a good idea. Motorcycles will come and go, but the chance to get licensed and begin a hobby like skydiving is something I don't wanna pass up while I have the chance. What say yall? Oh, and of course, our forum members would get first dibs on the buy.

Did that many years ago. Quite fun but the costs start building up also. Chutes, equipment, Plane costs. You'll need to sell alot of bikes. Still a fun sport, go for it.

Don't choose... Save your money and do both... A bike is a little more versatile and spontaneous thrill.

But I hear ya!! Falling 10,000 feet sounds like good fun

Skydiving is awesome but to me is less accessible than having a motorcycle. Its also a lot of $$$$. When I was at ocottilo wells some guys had those powered paraglider things and I thought OOH OMG AWESOME then I realized how much they cost + the maintenance and the training etc etc

Its hard enough to convince wives we wont kill ourselves riding. Heck we could be seriously injured but with skydiving I don't know how much room for injury vs pancake you have lol

No way in hell would I ever jump out of a perfectly well running airplane!

Parachutes were invented to give pilots a last ditch option to escape certain death.

Parachutes were invented to give pilots a last ditch option to escape certain death.

I wasn't around when they were invented.. Skydiving and hang gliding are both on my bucket list

WHAT .....ARE YOU NUTS? NO NO NO NO! BS said it right.... DO BOTH! don't choose, Thats how I ended up with a jeep too. now I am just hobbie poor!

:lol::lol:

BC

I wasn't around when they were invented.. Skydiving and hang gliding are both on my bucket list

Parachutes and hang gliders are man made devices-ergo-neither fool proof nor idiot proof.

Parachutes and hang gliders are man made devices-ergo-neither fool proof nor idiot proof.

I can personally vouch that motorcycles are neither, either!

Well said!

Modify your swingarm to accept a second sprocket. Mount a prop on the rear rack and run a chain from the second sprocket to the prop drive system. Hook a paraglide chute to the bike.

Enjoy.

PS - CHP has airplanes.....check the rule book. :lol:

Honestly, I wouldn't trade. Bikes seem much more useable and I don't even like falling off of them. Do this.... http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4360

HAHAHAHHAHAHAH awesome video :lol:

I sold my Flawless 1984 Honda V65 Magna a few years ago.

I used the money for a two week trip to Europe.

IMHO Seeing six countries in Europe isn't as good as having 116 horsepower in the garage.

Picture883.jpg

M1999to20041984HondaV65Magna1100.jpg

Why sell your motorcycle when you can use your CAR to go skydiving? :lol: :

Actually it's 12,500-13,000 feet, not 10,000 :lol: Thanks for the feedback, guys, I'm still on the fence with this one. I think I need to go find some fire roads to play on to help myself decide.

Actually it's 12,500-13,000 feet, not 10,000 :lol: Thanks for the feedback, guys, I'm still on the fence with this one. I think I need to go find some fire roads to play on to help myself decide.

a fire road is no place to decide! That's like deciding jumping off the front porch!! NO FAIR!!!

Go out to Corral... park at the Crossroads... blast kernan up to four corners... trail one, then trail 2 down to corral campground... spur up to the tower... fire road over to greenhorn...

fire road!

also; think of it like this... you already own the bike and the gear... so if you sell the bike and gear for skydiving gear, NOW you don't have money for the flight... so EVERY time you want to jump, it costs $150 or whatever... NOW, you get to ride for the cost of gas!

Credit for the invention of the first practical parachute frequently goes to Sebastien Lenormand who demonstrated the parachute principle in 1783. However, parachutes had been imagined and sketched by Leonardo De Vinci (1452-1519) centuries earlier. (Yes I looked this up :lol: , I can’t remember anything these days) The first Parachutists would jump off of tall buildings. You might say they were the base jumpers of their day. Then they started going up in hot air balloons and jumping.

To the best of my knowledge the first use of the parachute for the purpose of the “last ditch option” was World War I. When armies used balloons to lift artillery spotters over the battlefield where they could see everything and call down gunfire on the enemy. Airplanes would fly up and shoot down the balloon. Soon the balloon got to be a oneway flight and that is when the parachute came in. Interestingly the generals would not give parachutes to pilots because they felt the pilots would just abandon the aircraft anytime things got hairy.

Anyway parachuting has a long history as a sport. Much older then it’s use as a rescue device. Once when I was half the man I am now, I was a member of the United States Parachute Association (USPA). The modern sport is all about the free fall and not the ride under canopy. If today’s jumpers could have a nonlethal landing any other way, most modern skydivers would drop the chute altogether. I am the reverse of that. I loved the ride under the silk. It was like the hand of God holding you up in the air showing you the world. I would look down and see gulls soaring below me. I have a fear of heights so the freefall itself made me nervous.

Anyway I think that parachuting is very fun and might be safer then dual-sport motorcycling. But I would recommend that you keep your bike. Selling the bike is only a one time income source and will not be a longterm funding source for your skydiving. You can take off on the bike anytime you feel like it. That is not true with skydiving. You could ride the bike alone. You can’t do that skydiving.

I recommend you find another way that you can do both sports. Have your cake and eat it too. It can be done. :lol:

a fire road is no place to decide! That's like deciding jumping off the front porch!! NO FAIR!!!

Go out to Corral... park at the Crossroads... blast kernan up to four corners... trail one, then trail 2 down to corral campground... spur up to the tower... fire road over to greenhorn...

fire road!

also; think of it like this... you already own the bike and the gear... so if you sell the bike and gear for skydiving gear, NOW you don't have money for the flight... so EVERY time you want to jump, it costs $150 or whatever... NOW, you get to ride for the cost of gas!

A skydive after you're licensed and have your own gear costs $25 at Elsinore. You're only paying for fuel to get the airplane off the ground. The initial expense of getting that license and gear is high, but I spent a lot more getting my R6 and all the roadrace gear to get into that hobby some years ago.

I mentioned fire roads generically - I don't wanna hijack my own thread, so I'll put up a new one for that subject :lol:

I am obsessive compulsive about wanting to do stuff. I change my mind all the time and get excited about doing new things constantly. I just bought a mountain bike instead of motorcycle parts with the 400 bucks my mom gave me. That being said I also want another motorcycle someday.

Nothing makes me love the bike I have more than a good ride. As soon as I go riding even if it is just a fire road or something like we road yesterday I am so back in love. So yes I would say go ride your bike on some dirt and have a good time and youll forget about skydiving

I've only done skydiving once......it was a tandem jump, and was awesome. But, I don't think it would substitute for travelling to new places on a motorcycle.

One problem with skydiving.......one major malfunction or mistake, you're pretty much DEAD ! :lol:

I did some bungee jumping......that was more of a rush than skydiving.....go try it !

A skydive after you're licensed and have your own gear costs $25 at Elsinore. You're only paying for fuel to get the airplane off the ground. The initial expense of getting that license and gear is high, but I spent a lot more getting my R6 and all the roadrace gear to get into that hobby some years ago.

Like motorcycling I found that the cost for skydiving was high. The gear isn’t cheap and there is always the new thing that you “need” to have. Basics are the harness, chute, reserve, suit for relative work, boots, helmet, goggles. Then you’ll want an altimeter, oxygen set up (for going higher), emergency reserve automatic deployment device (not sure what they use these days) and helmet camera (what fun is it if you can’t share). After all that you’ll want to upgrade all the time. There is always something new coming out! (Unless you are Zenosan then you would still be using a T10 or paracommander!) :lol:

But for me the biggest expense was the aircraft fees. $25 sounds very good! I think that is what I was paying back in the 70’s in North Carolina. But remember that is $25 for a couple of minutes in the air. Then you are back down repacking your chute and ready to go again. We would go up around three times a day. $75 was a big thing to a young marine back in the 70s. It could still be a big thing today if you have a family and mortgage, etc.. I don’t spend seventy dollars a day to ride my bike and I still have fun. Again if it was me I would keep the bike and find another way to skydive.

I have a question for you. When did they start licensing Skydiving and what agency does the licensing? I don't remember having to be licensed, but I could have a faulty memory.

For Randy; when skydiving you have at least two chutes. ;) What do you do if the bungee cord breaks? :o

For Randy; when skydiving you have at least two chutes. ;) What do you do if the bungee cord breaks? :o

Rubber bands! :lol:

(Unless you are Zenosan then you would still be using a T10 or paracommander!) :lol:

Didn't Bikeslut find a technical term for one of these guys?

;)

For Randy; when skydiving you have at least two chutes. :o What do you do if the bungee cord breaks? :o

Rubber bands! :lol:

;)

(Unless you are Zenosan then you would still be using a T10 or paracommander!) :lol:

Didn't Bikeslut find a technical term for one of these guys?

;)

it was "old"

I believe Luddite was bandied about, as well...

Andy; meet me at Corral Canyon some weekday... I'll bring the WR and Drz... Both have real dirt tires... I'll pick a rookie friendly route, and lead you on some fun trails.

Motorcycles are pretty cheap thrills, once you get the basics down