forrest1

Hello to everyone!

It's about time I said "Hello"-- I did my first SDAR ride March 15 at Lark. I hadn't ridden for a while (actually the last time was 2003, I realized when I looked at my maintenance notes!), and it really felt good to get out there and go riding with you guys! A big thanks to Bikeslut who caught me lurking on the site and extended an invitation to the newb ride at Lark!

Why no riding for 6 years you ask? My best riding buddy was killed in a car accident, and other friends had moved away, and I just sort of figured that I was getting too old and thought I should sell the bike. Then recently a guy at work asked to buy it. After thinking it over I realized that if I sold it I'd probably never ride again: I just couldn't accept that! That's when I started surfing dualsport sites and discovered SDAR. A big thanks to Randy for having this site: it's GREAT! Just what San Diego needed!

My dad wouldn't let me ride as a kid, then I had school, kids, etc, so I didn't start riding until I was past 40, on a second-hand XR500L that was just a bit heavy. Great bike, though, started first kick every time, hot or cold. Finally got an XR400, added a Baja Designs kit, and that bike was/is perfect for me. I rode every chance I could, often solo in the then-undeveloped area between Del Mar and Rancho Bernardo/Penasquitos. I really like exploring the best. I made a few trips to Baja, to Mike's and also down the east coast as far as San Francisquito. I really liked the Countdown rides around Death Valley.

It turns out that if you don't use your riding gear for 6+ years, all the elastic turns to powder and it's pretty much useless. I thought my old Sidi boots looked pretty good, but they turned into loafers on that newbie ride, so I had to replace them. Since I'm almost 60, I figure I owe it to myself and my family to be really safe, so I popped for a Leatt neck brace, too.

I'm hoping to get out to ride again real soon. I just have to work it in with the honeydo's and stuff. And the XR is showing it's age a bit, too: it used to be totally bulletproof, but it's going to need a little more TLC now to get it back in shape.

So thanks, everybody, just for being there! I think we're going to have a lot of fun!

hi forrest, welcome....I like your story...

I'd love to hear more about death valley too...always wanted to explore up there...now that I have bikes, I think it could be a great way to discover the park.....you're an old pro compared to some of us....

and btw...I just ran support for a mojave road 400 mile, 2 day ride..Victorville to laughlin and back....and there were 2 guys in their 70's out there ripping it up...so you're just a kid....

Hope to meet you soon,

Hey, 60 is the new 40 these days. My dad is 65 and rides just fine. You were born ready!!

Welcome to the group. See ya on the trail.

Forrest welcome, I used to ride almost everyday in that Black Mountain area when I was a kid. We live right on the canyon right above what is now Penasquitos preserve, we made a trail right down the side of the hill from our house to go riding. I was 13 and I'm still riding with the same friends I rode with then. That was a very cool time and place to grown up liking motorcycles in 1971.

Kelly

As you've seen already, great opportunities for rides with helpful folks. Welcome.....check the Bar 10 report for my 72 year old Dad on 235 miles of ride.

See ya on the trail, youngster. :unsure:

Welcome aboard. You have many more years of riding left in you. Hope to see you on a ride.

Forest1,

Hey, we could start an "Almost Old," La Mesa SDAR sub-group.

I will be riding up to Crawdaddy's Saturday ride in Ramona, departing LM 0700-0715.

age=state of mind.

it's all perspective forrest.....so get out there and get some!

looking forward to meeting you in the dirt!

Blind :unsure:

I just have to work it in with the honeydo's and stuff.

huh? :huh::angry::unsure: Hope to see you Sat ;):lol::)

Thank you everybody, for the very warm welcome and encouragement! B)

I am looking forward to getting out there again. I'm not sure this weekend will work. I'll see what I can negotiate, but the Mrs seems to want to clean up the yard Saturday, and Sunday we're going up to see her mother.

I like the "Almost Old" idea--I guess that I'm as young as I'll ever be, so "old" is going to have to wait!

So if you see a guy out there picking up an old XR, wave as you go by: it's probably me! :lol:

I like the "Almost Old" idea--I guess that I'm as young as I'll ever be, so "old" is going to have to wait!

Up until a couple of years ago, I was still almost young. :lol:B)