SCHWINN

Guns and Ammo

I have the highest of respect for those who have served in our services, and I'm obviously in their (your) debt. When I've hired employees, service to our country was always on the positive side of the list. I grew up in a navy (ret) household, shopping at the commissary, the 32nd Street Navy Exchange, and it was yes, sir and no, ma'am in our house.

There are those of us, however, who have not served but may be a better choice for a given job, even in the public service sector. For those of you who have served, you know some of your fellow servicemen and women are not better choices simply because they were in the military.

I prefer to vote for, elect, and select the best candidate for a job, not merely the one with military service. If military service helps that candidate in the position, they will naturally have an earned advantage and deserve my vote.

The Constitution set up three branches of government for a reason, and to try to militarize all branches is an attempt to circumvent that document. I'm confident Zenosan could enlighten us about the history of many single-branch rulers who believed the military was "uber alle".

Not all of us civilians who went to college were there to party, gossip, socialize and drink. Some of us lowly civilians actually did pay attention, value our country, and are fiercely patriotic.

Very true, military service isn't a guarantee of suitability for a job.

I was in the service from 1976 to 1980 and it was safe to say that there were plenty of bottom feeders in there at that time. Some in fact were out right given the choice, military or jail. In a lot of cases though, I think going in to the service did a lot to redeem these fellows and many of them were able to turn their lives around once out of the poor social environment that spawned them.

I can also concur with what others have posted regarding servicemen/women versus the typical college student of the day when I went to school during and after the service. Many of the students were there just because it was the next thing you do after high school. It was being paid for by their parents in most cases and they therefore didn't appreciate the opportunity. Most didn't know what they wanted to do and were just drifting through and trying to have some fun along the way.

The GI Bill in its full glory was ending at the close of 1976, so I jumped in and took advantage of the college benefits because I knew that paying my way through school would have been a hardship for my father. He really wanted me to go and was willing to foot the bill but this was a way to see a bit of the world and figure out what I wanted to do before jumping right back into school. Otherwise there might have just been another drifter in classes the next year.

Once you put some blood, sweat, and tears into something like working your way through school - either via the service or as a civilian, there's a much better chance that you'll buckle down and pay attention in class.

Ammo is in short supply due to all the factories are at full capacity to support the war effort. Simple case of supply and demand.

No way they are using 22lr in the war effort, I know we are the kinder/gentler USA these days but we aren't shooting at them with rimfire weapons.

You are correct, the factory is simply not making this round, as they are at capacity making other caliber rounds. Simple case of supply and demand.

The war is not over, it is just moving to Afganistan.

To add one very important topic to this thread, EVERYONE who exercises the Second Amendment MUST...I repeat MUST...send a brief message to your assemblyman (Marty Block if you live in greater San Diego) urging the Assembly NOT to support AB962. For those who are NRA members, you already know via mass email that AB962 is on the block tomorrow, 5/6/2009. This bill would restrict private transfer of handgun ammunition to 50 rounds PER MONTH. Yes, that means you are guilty of A CRIME if you are at the shooting range and give a friend more than 50 rounds of any one caliber to shoot thru his gun. This is yet another assinine bill that believe it or not our State Government actually believes will help limit handgun violence. Yes, their thinking is that, if we simply limit folks who willingly show ID to buy ammo at stores and who only go to shooting ranges to shoot where it's safe to buying ammo at approved places and restrict their ability to share ammo amongst themselves, that'll stop crimes committed by people who by their very nature of committing a crime demonstrate that they DON'T FOLLOW LAWS ANYWAY. I digress...

Please, everyone, locate your corresponding State Assembly person's webpage (I found mine via google) and send them a brief message urging them NOT to support AB962. All it takes is a couple of sentences, just tell them you're a lawful handgun owner and that you urge them to support bills that actually limit criminals, not limit lawful owners of guns access to ammo.

Again, this bill is up for hearing tomorrow, so act quickly.

Oh, and as said earlier in the thread, make yourself a member of the NRA and/or the Second Amendment Foundation. To be absolutely honest, I think the NRA is a bunch of propagandist windbags who spin their "news" to make it as dramatic as possible just like any lobbyist group does, but their core belief in our undeniable Second Amendment is worth supporting.

Also, another cool forum is www.calguns.net, check it out.

I'm all for the NRA and people having guns, growing up in Oregon and it being more rural than California I got a BB gun around 9-10 and had my own 22 by the time i was 12 and had completed hunter safety classes. But I think the current issue is one of self induced paranoia more than it is one of action by the government.

Sucks too because I wanted to buy a handgun for sport shooting and stuff when i go visit my father in law but now I wonder if I should just wait till I can find ammo on the cheap. Like buying that .45 and not being able to shoot it at all, not being able to find shotgun shells I mean that seems insane from my perspective where ammo was always easy to get.

That 50 bullet stuff sounds really retarded. Especially if its not limited to certain ammo types or calibres. I had a 25 rd bananaclip on my Ruger 10/22 growing up so 2 clips of 22 ammo and you are breaking the law? puleeze.

The best thing to do right now is be informed, do research, and do not be a hoarder or a stockpiler.

The UN is not going to invade America. Obama is not going to rush into anyones home and grab your pistol. There is not going to be a civil riot.

Obama has much more pressing issues than Guns at the moment, and a lot more support could be shown to the pro-gun democrats who are fighting for Gun rights along with Republicans. Just the other week 60 Democrats signed a letter of disapproval towards any future Assault Weapons Ban. Making it a solely republican issue hurts its credibility and its power.

The biggest thing hurting gun owners right now are gun owners themselves and an overwhelmingly large "Chicken Little" mentality. Yes Ammo was slowly becoming more expensive before Obama, but that was mostly due to larger Military Ammunition contracts and the price of metals, but it wasn't nearly enough to send it into the free fall it is now. Many people initially were just buying ammo in large numbers out of fear of the new administration, but now its changed to price gougers and re-sellers emptying out entire inventories to resell and raise overall prices.

So really, blame the people clearly at fault.

The NRA is giving FREE 1-yr memberships to everyone who wants to join.

http://www.nrahq.org/nrabonus/accept-membership.asp

As far as Obama, he's patient and wiley. I'm convinced he is building his case over time and will pounce when the moment is right. So far, he's fired up a lot of folks, he's not going to step into that now.

He's committed to make changes around weapons and don't think for a second it's off his plate.

Listen to the way the television news spins the stories (Mexican drug warfare with primarily US weapons? Hardly!!! In fact, I don't know any shops in the US which offer RPGs).

(the underlined stuff are links to stuff) :angry:

It's a bummer the print media won't be around much longer to keep the television prima donnas in check...

I went plinking with buddies and can't even replace their ammo I used up. :angry:

Sadly, we live in Kalifornia when it comes to gun laws. After I read about Montana's new law, I was ready to buy land in Montana, just to have a place to keep stuff if nothing else! ;-)

Let me leave this post on a lighter note. ;)

nra_salesman.jpg

Time to stock up. Beleive what you want........I will always be prepaered. 9/11 just shows that you never know and even the US can be attacked. Whoa...started to step up onto my soap box, sorry. :angry:

Oh, I have renewed recently, and sent that link to many associates just now.

Thanks for the link to free membership. I have been wanting to sign up again.

Done!

As far as Obama, he's patient and wiley. I'm convinced he is building his case over time and will pounce when the moment is right. So far, he's fired up a lot of folks, he's not going to step into that now.

He was just quoted a while ago that Introducing a new Assault Weapons Ban is not the right thing to do in order to handle the Mexican Gun issue. He went against some of his own cabinet who were making some words about it: This was a perfect oppurtunity to pass it if he wanted but chose not to. I just dont think it'll even be on his radar until he gets reelected, if that happens.

nra_salesman.jpg

Haha, very true!

There is not going to be a civil riot.

I think I heard that before in 1992 and 1965. Ask Reginald Denny how he feels about that one.

After the earthquake, wildfire, civil uprising... who you gonna call?

There is not going to be a civil riot.

I think I heard that before in 1992 and 1965. Ask Reginald Denny how he feels about that one.

After the earthquake, wildfire, civil uprising... who you gonna call?

I don't think stockpiling 4,000 rounds of .223 will be of much help if you were in a Civil riot. Generally if you are stockpiling ammo in that fashion you have very different motives and thoughts.

The war is not over, it is just moving to Afganistan.

Very true I was talking to some Marines who are going there in a couple of weeks.

I don't think stockpiling 4,000 rounds of .223 will be of much help if you were in a Civil riot. Generally if you are stockpiling ammo in that fashion you have very different motives and thoughts.

When I was younger and could see, I use to compete in high power rifle competitions. I did my own reloading and yes I would have several thousand rounds at one time. That way I didn't have to set up my equipment as often and I used a lot for practice.

Also having 4,000 rounds of 5.56mm might not be of much help, but it couldn't hurt either.

When I was younger and could see, I use to compete in high power rifle competitions. I did my own reloading and yes I would have several thousand rounds at one time. That way I didn't have to set up my equipment as often and I used a lot for practice.

Also having 4,000 rounds of 5.56mm might not be of much help, but it couldn't hurt either.

This is a better reason to have a large amount of ammo than unpredicted civil unrest. I have a couple large ammo cans full of ammo, but I bought it a long time ago and I bought it as a recreational shooter, and not for any other reason.

If you need ammunition, I don't think the reason you have the ammo is important, what is important is that you do have it. If it helps you sleep at night thinking that it is only for target practice, cool.

Some of us use much more ammo than others. The last time I competed in the steel challenge, I shot over 30,000 rounds that year. And yea I keep various kinds of ammo on hand for "target practice" :unsure: .

If you need ammunition, I don't think the reason you have the ammo is important, what is important is that you do have it. If it helps you sleep at night thinking that it is only for target practice, cool.

Some of us use much more ammo than others. The last time I competed in the steel challenge, I shot over 30,000 rounds that year. And yea I keep various kinds of ammo on hand for "target practice" :unsure: .

When I worked in a gun store, people used to buy 500/600 bucks worth of ammo just for a weekend camp out/target shoot.

I used to load my own and would rotate through about 500 rounds at a time. I haven't owned firearms in over 20 years, but I'm thinking pretty hard about picking up a .22 semi auto pistol and a 10-22 carbine for target shooting and (god forbid) civil unrest. I never kept my guns and ammo at hand, they were always locked up. I have 2 beautiful German Shepherds who make it easy to sleep at night.

I used to load my own and would rotate through about 500 rounds at a time. I haven't owned firearms in over 20 years, but I'm thinking pretty hard about picking up a .22 semi auto pistol and a 10-22 carbine for target shooting and (god forbid) civil unrest. I never kept my guns and ammo at hand, they were always locked up. I have 2 beautiful German Shepherds who make it easy to sleep at night.

Good luck, finding a gun deal is almost as difficult as finding ammo for them!

And I thought motorcycle riding was dangerous!

Thanks Fakename for your attempt. Remember, those that have the guns make the rules.

Moto riding has brought me into contact with many folks I would never have had conversations. This I feel has been productive, my Libertarian Pals would agree. I find it good to mingle with folks of differing view, healthy in fact. Holing up in our respective communities is not healthy, which unfortunately is easy to do these days.

BTW, I don't want your guns, I just don't want you to shoot me.

BTW, I don't want your guns, I just don't want you to shoot me.

Why would I shoot you? I don't want to shoot anybody. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't if I had to. I was a Marine Infantryman and also worked for the county for over 20 years. I didn't have to shoot anyone in all that time. I didn't want to shoot anyone, but was cable of shooting a person if needed.

I feel it is better to have and not need then need and not have. By the way the crime rate has dramatically risen in Australia since that have lost their hand guns. It’s that way everywhere guns are taken from the public. So how are you safer with out firearms?

Anyone fired the newerish .357 rd in a semi auto?

Are you refering to the .357 sig or the .327 Federal? The .357 sig feels like a hot 9 mm, I wouldn't call it a replacement for the magnum. The new Federal round is suposed to perform pretty well but I haven't shot it personally. (oops, my bad you said "semi-auto" of which the .327 Federal does not apply).

Yeah - acquiring an asset that appreciates (when properly stored)...

That said, I wonder if this is the start of the Ammo Bubble... :rolleyes: