SCHWINN

Guns and Ammo

Me and my boys were shooting every wednesday eve up at Lake Wolford trap range using up to 250 to 300 shots of 12ga at a time. Now its getting hard to find the shotgun shells so we have stopped and now Im scared to use what ammo I have and I hear stories of people stock piling cuz there is a bill limiting the sales of ammo. What about people like myself that like to take my kids for a weeknight of trapshooting, I heard that they are also trying to limit transportation of ammo. I take like 400 rounds with me every time I go.

If the supreme court says we can't take your guns....we'll take your ammo. Unarmed you are subjects. Armed you are citzens. Subjects are so much more passive and easier to control.

China has been buying up all our raw matt for years, lead and copper are hard to come by now days.

fact is that this AMMO shortage has been coming for years. Some saw it coming and started to stock up.

Primers were not long ago $40.00 for 1000, now they are $100.00 a box.

Soon, it will be unlawful to reload your own ammo.

watch and see what goes down within the next 2.5 years.

The best advice is take a few minutes to sign you and all your family members up for the NRA. They are the ones fighting for your rights to be able to go down and purchase ammo.

I am a lifetime member of both NRA and 2nd Amendment Foundation.

There is power in numbers, if everyone who owned a gun joined the NRA we wouldn't see half these knucklehead bills getting to congress.

And while I am venting, I think it should be mandatory for anyone running for public office to have served in the US military. That should get rid of some of the a holes :)

When's the next gun show ?!! Need to stock up on a few more thousand rounds of ammo.

I agree with you Joliet......NRA. Also, everyone on this site should belong to the AMA, fighting for our riding and land use rights !!

And while I am venting, I think it should be mandatory for anyone running for public office to have served in the US military. That should get rid of some of the a holes :)

Plenty of a-holes in the military!

The ammo shortage has been going on for a while. I recently picked up a 1911 and it's been difficult to find .45ACP, I visit three or four stores before I find any and then it's $40 for a box of 50. At least the gun looks nice, I can't afford to shoot it! Even .22lr is getting scarce. Usually the only thing I see on the shelves is shotgun ammo.

Next Gun Show in Del Mar is July....click on THIS LINK for show dates. This is the place to buy all your ammo at usually a discount.

The ammo shortage has been going on for a while. I recently picked up a 1911 and it's been difficult to find .45ACP, I visit three or four stores before I find any and then it's $40 for a box of 50. At least the gun looks nice, I can't afford to shoot it! Even .22lr is getting scarce. Usually the only thing I see on the shelves is shotgun ammo.

Holy bleep! :) Things have certainly changed since I was in the business not too long ago. Only about a year and a half ago, we sold 45 ammo for 10-12 bucks a box for ball nose range rounds.

I just went to sportsmansguide.com to look and see what the fuss what about. EVERY SINGLE 40SW bullets they sell is backordered. At least I have a few magazines full :blink: I got a few hundred rounds of 223 and 12 guage for a rainy day too.

My wife just read some crap about obama administration melting down military copper and selling to china instead of selling it back to be reman'd in the USA. WTF is that about?

I guess the economic meltdown + democratic control of washington has everyone spooked...

if you dont have at least 10 to 20,000 rounds, your in trouble

My wife just read some crap about obama administration melting down military copper and selling to china instead of selling it back to be reman'd in the USA. WTF is that about?

I guess the economic meltdown + democratic control of washington has everyone spooked...

Sounds more like a sneaky way of slowly disarming American citizens. :blink:

And while I am venting, I think it should be mandatory for anyone running for public office to have served in the US military. That should get rid of some of the a holes :blink:

I agree, but most former service men and women have a lot of qualities that the average Lawyer turned politician may not have. Like they may not be in it just for the money, fame, power, ect. They know what sacrifice means. They know they work for America and they are not the boss.

I have a case of shotgun shells in my closet - but no shotgun :blink:

And while I am venting, I think it should be mandatory for anyone running for public office to have served in the US military. That should get rid of some of the a holes :blink:

I agree, but most former service men and women have a lot of qualities that the average Lawyer turned politician may not have. Like they may not be in it just for the money, fame, power, ect. They know what sacrifice means. They know they work for America and they are not the boss.

I can usually tell when I get a Vet as a student in my classes.

Usually-they are respectful of authority and accomplishment, they have no problem doing and finishing assignments, they follow instructions, they come to class prepared, they are not lazy, they have no problem doing a little hard work to get the benefit of their efforts, and they usually have their act together. They appreciate the fact that this is their education-their own personal growth and development. They understand that you are what you do-not what you could do and that you have to earn what you get. Unlike a large percentage of young spoiled and pampered college students who do the least they can do to get by.

Sorry for the rant-but college professors have their pet peeves too.

Wow, things have really chanced since I was reloading. Haven't had my reloader set up since I moved to CA and haven't done much shooting either.

My IPSC pistol was a .356 TSW, so reloading was really the only way to keep ammo around besides mail order.

I have a RCBS Ammo Master five stage progressive press and dies for 9 mm and .308 and misc reloading gear. Been thinking of selling it.

Anyone interested?

I can usually tell when I get a Vet as a student in my classes.

Usually-they are respectful of authority and accomplishment, they have no problem doing and finishing assignments, they follow instructions, they come to class prepared, they are not lazy, they have no problem doing a little hard work to get the benefit of their efforts, and they usually have their act together. They appreciate the fact that this is their education-their own personal growth and development. They understand that you are what you do-not what you could do and that you have to earn what you get. Unlike a large percentage of young spoiled and pampered college students who do the least they can do to get by.

Sorry for the rant-but college professors have their pet peeves too.

I went to school after my service in the Corps. I’m the first one in the family to get a higher education and yeah I had to pay for it not my Daddy (although my Uncle Sammy helped a little).

I took a lot of my lower division classes in local community colleges. The credits transferred alright and the price was a heck of a lot better. I noticed that a lot of my fellow students were like Don described. They would just sit around and gossip back and forth. They never learned anything! They acted like they were still in High School and grades were just going to be given to them. They only reason most of them were in school is because mommy and daddy paid for it and let them live at home if they stayed in school.

Many if not most of our highest offices appear to be filled by people who are just interest in personal power. They are not there for others. They want to rule not govern. What I like about former service members in elected office is that many of them have actually read and understood the Constitution that they have taken an oath to defend. The Constitution limits the power of the federal government. It reserves the power, not specifically given to the government, to the people. Unfortunately not all former service members care about that, John Murtha and John Kerry come to mind.

Back on subject the current ammunition shortage is caused by fear that it will soon be impossible to get ammo. Look at the leadership of the House and Senate as well as the White House. All of these politicians have favored gun bans in the past and have stated that they want to restrict firearms in the future. It doesn’t matter what the constitution states if there is no opposition to stop them they will pass the laws. Enough people pay attention that have become frightened and have made a run on ammo. We don’t currently have a shortage of raw materials and more ammo is being produced then in the past but the demand is much higher then before.

Wow, things have really chanced since I was reloading. Haven't had my reloader set up since I moved to CA and haven't done much shooting either.

My IPSC pistol was a .356 TSW, so reloading was really the only way to keep ammo around besides mail order.

I have a RCBS Ammo Master five stage progressive press and dies for 9 mm and .308 and misc reloading gear. Been thinking of selling it.

Anyone interested?

bullets, casings, and primers are sold out too. otherwise I might be interested.

I have the highest of respect for those who have served in our services, and I'm obviously in their (your) debt. When I've hired employees, service to our country was always on the positive side of the list. I grew up in a navy (ret) household, shopping at the commissary, the 32nd Street Navy Exchange, and it was yes, sir and no, ma'am in our house.

There are those of us, however, who have not served but may be a better choice for a given job, even in the public service sector. For those of you who have served, you know some of your fellow servicemen and women are not better choices simply because they were in the military.

I prefer to vote for, elect, and select the best candidate for a job, not merely the one with military service. If military service helps that candidate in the position, they will naturally have an earned advantage and deserve my vote.

The Constitution set up three branches of government for a reason, and to try to militarize all branches is an attempt to circumvent that document. I'm confident Zenosan could enlighten us about the history of many single-branch rulers who believed the military was "uber alle".

Not all of us civilians who went to college were there to party, gossip, socialize and drink. Some of us lowly civilians actually did pay attention, value our country, and are fiercely patriotic.

So, what is the shelf life of ammo? Does it vary by type? Just wondering...

It depends mostly on how it is stored. I have ammo (collectors stuff) that is 50 years old that will shoot just fine if I need it to.

Shelf life is partly determined by the components it is made up of. But manly it is affected by storage conditions. It needs to stay dry and cool, not cold, cool. That is why ammo cans are air tight and one reason the military builds ammo bunkers into hill sides. You don’t want the ammo to get damp or be subjected to extremes of temperature, especially heat.

If you are storing for a long time at home put it into a surplus ammo can with a good seal and don’t stick it on the top shelf in your garage (heat rises).

Nom de guerre, I did mention John Murtha right? Just being in the service doesn’t mean you are the best for the job. It is just one of many factors to look at. The main factor I look at in a candidate is their adherence to the constitution as it was written and their respect for liberty.

As the first amendment is not about being able to talk to your neighbor but refers to political speech. The second amendment is not about hunting but is about having arms to protect yourself from a tyrannical government.

Ammo is in short supply due to all the factories are at full capacity to support the war effort. Simple case of supply and demand.

Ammo is in short supply due to all the factories are at full capacity to support the war effort. Simple case of supply and demand.

Kevin we have been at war for several years now and yes that has affected supply. Ammo was so low at the start of the war that we bought a bunch of ammo from Israel that we had to use in training state side (heaven forbid that we shoot a Muslim with a Jewish made bullet). But the war has slowed down a bit and this recent shortage is due to fear of what the current government might do.

No way they are using 22lr in the war effort, I know we are the kinder/gentler USA these days but we aren't shooting at them with rimfire weapons.