Sign in to follow this  
darylhunter

Moab 5MoH trip May 15 - 18, ride report

Heading out to Moab May 15th to give 5MoH a try.

Depart Ramona early o'clock Friday morning and return Monday morning May 18th.

Have decided to bring the toyhauler so will have room for another bike, or two, so thought I'd post just in case anyone is interested.

I'll be meeting a friend in Moab and we'll do some warm up riding Saturday there and then head over to do the 5MoH trail Sunday.

Daryl

Hey, I only live a mile (if that) from your relatives Ramona? :o

Only a couple of vacation days required? :lol:

YOU'RE KILLING ME!!! B)B)

Same weekend that's already slated for "family" camping/mtn biking in Laguna's B):lol: ......I'm out......bummer B);)

Have fun. Wish I were going, but at least there will be other great trips in the summer (or at least one) that I will have a chance to go on. :lol:

Crawdaddy just alerted me to this, I am gonna try to make this work. Split gas?? :lol:

Will know in a day or so depending on what I can get for time off.

Daryl, gonna take the trials bike for 5MOH?

I also have a 3 place trailer that could be used if needed.

One of the guys from my office that was going to come along has now cancelled for the Moab trip due to a conflict.

So I have a spot open for someone else or possibly two. I have a 30 foot toyhauler and F-250 crew cab so there's plenty of room for four folks to ride comforatbly. We'll be camping at the Archview RV park which has a pool for soaking out the kinks after a long day's ride :ph34r:

Current plans have us leaving Carlsbad early Thursday morning, riding in the Moab area Friday and Saturday, and then doing 5MoH on Sunday.

Departing for Carlsbad will be early Monday morning.

By the way, if you come along, the 5 miles of hell ride is optional, so no worries about feeling pressured into attempting that if you're unsure.

Bummer, another cancellation. Down to just me from San Diego and my friend from Denver.

I have room for two or three more folks, so if interested just blast me a PM . . .

Daryl

I have room for two or three more folks, so if interested just blast me a PM . . .

What the hell is wrong with you people :) ......jump on this opportunity!!! :) .......Moab is The Sh*t!!!! :):):)

What the hell is wrong with you people :) ......jump on this opportunity!!! :) .......Moab is The Sh*t!!!! :):):)

Boy, I would love to, but it's not in the cards right now. :)

one of my favorite places, bike or no bike....

BUT alas, i like my life....and the wife would....well let's say it'd be ugly.... :)

so me too, not quite ready for this GREAT opportunity....rats again.

Blind :)

If only I didn't have that pesky thing called work getting in my way.

OK, Daryl, good talking to you. I'm gonna try and make this work. I hate to pass up an opportunity like this. I'll call you tomorrow with the final verdict.

-Alan

Well, we're all set. Bikes are loaded in the toy hauler along with the rest of the gear and all we have to do is to jump in the truck in the morning and leave.

Alan will be joining me from SD. We will be joined in Moab tomorrow night by two guys coming over from CO. Another fellow from BC will be leaving Saturday and joining us for 5MoH on Sunday.

Three of us will be on trials bikes and two on enduro/DS.

Looking forward to a fun trip and hoping that the new camera works out OK.

If it does, there will be pics and video when we return :)

Have a GREAT time! If my wife's daughter wasn't getting 1st communion on Sunday, I think it would have worked.

It will happen....just not now.

Enjoy!

Nope, not related.

We're having a grand olde time.

Rode Sovereign yesterday in the morning and some other trail that I can't remember right now after lunch.

Today we did Golden Spike and Poison Spider.

Tomorrow we do 5MoH.

I'll post pictures and video when I get back as this WiFi connection at Archview RV park is rather slow. Got some nice videos of everyone jumping the Golden Crack :)

We're back home <_<

5MoH was incredible! It also kicked my butt!

I injured my left arm in a fall at the start of the afternoon riding on our first day in Moab and it was still bothering me as we started 5MoH. It was quite stiff and going numb. As if that wasn't bad enough my energy level was quite low after the first two days of riding so in short order I was feeling quite tuckered out.

Some of the steps and obstacles were initially quite intimidating. There's no way in hell I would have been willing to ride the Husky through there and my hat is off to Doug and Micky for completing the route on a dual sport.

We were met at 5MoH by Gerry, a rider from Vancover, BC who found out about our trip via TT. Gerry was an experieced trials rider and also in quite good shape. Watching him ride up some of the terrain showed that it could be done and Alan (mctrails) and I would follow.

But by the time we reached the first bail-out point, Alan's energy reserves were drained and he decided that it would be wiser for him to head back at that point. I seriously thought about it as I was feeling pretty weak too, but decided to continue on and evaluate at the next bail-out.

At times I was only making 200 yards between rest breaks - that deep sand between some of the sections was more draining at times than the obstacles. Gerry gave me some pointers and pretty soon my confidence level was going up and I actually cleaned a number of sections without a dab, and even did my first splatter up a fair sized face. Eventually we reached the end of 5MoH :angry:;)

I forgot to reset the trip meter on my GPS, and it also turned off after one of the rest breaks so I'll have to take a look at the track log to see the actual times but I think we probably rested for considerably longer than we were riding. When I say "we", I really mean me, as Gerry being in great shape would have been happy to turn around and ride it again - sometimes he'd putt around and try some other harder stuff off the side of the trail as I was catching a breath.

I'm totally up for going back and doing it again, but not till I've spent some time at the gym and gotten in shape and worked off a few pounds.

I'll post up photos and some video as soon as I get a chance.

We're back home :angry:

Great job Daryl!!!!

Quite a trail, isn't it?

I'll post up photos and some video as soon as I get a chance.

Hurry up, us web-riders are waiting!!! <_<

We're back home <_<

As if that wasn't bad enough my energy level was quite low after the first two days of riding so in short order I was feeling quite tuckered out.

I know what you mean. Last summer we went on a multi-day trip to Troy Meadows. The first couple of days were fine, but on the third morning, the trails and altitude had me feeling pretty beat.

Hope your arm feels better soon.

Can't wait for the pics.

5MoH was incredible!......It also kicked my butt!

You're singing to the choir with that assessment <_<:angry: .......but aren't you glad that you were able to check off that box ;) ......as the days pass (and your arm heals) you'll start longing for the day that you can return to ride it again......we're hardwired that way......gluttons for punishment.......don't fight it.......just ride it (again) :)

The first 2 miles of Hell did me in. I was too pooped to continue. After two days of riding at Moab, with dehydration to the point of severe cramping on day 2 and being totally out of riding condition to begin with my attempt at 5 MoH was futile. Needless to say I was bummed! Will have to go back when I'm in better condition and ride it. The part that I did, up to the first bailout wasn't that bad but I was just in no condition to be out there.

Many thanks to Daryl for taking me along. It was a great trip in spite of my missing out on all the 8 miles of the 5 Miles of Hell.

I'll post some pictures soon as I have time to get them together.

-Alan

Hmmm, I'll have to go back and take a look at Doug's video and see if I recognize it. We had to have passed it somewhere along the way.

Hmmm, I'll have to go back and take a look at Doug's video and see if I recognize it. We had to have passed it somewhere along the way.

Just watched it again......maybe that IS the Crux :lol:B) ......you definitely zig left then zag right then back left as you climb up.......and I do sorta remember a small "shrubbery" right at the very end of the climb as seen in your video......I think I understand my point of confusion........the video is being shot looking DOWN.........I was looking UP (and mumbling profanities) most of the time :) :) ...........Man, it looks SOOOOOOOOO easy/fun on trials bike (due in large part, I'm sure, to the skill of the rider in the video)