Sign in to follow this  
Crawdaddy

2009 Model Year - KTM EXC 450 vs. Husky TE450

I have a couple of friends struggling with bike purchase decisions......I wish I had their struggles/$$ :lol::lol:

The 2008 and newer KTMs have a new motor and are highly rated, low center of gravity as always, lot's of zip, etc........the 2009 Husky comes with fuel injection and some other goodies........they look pretty sweet.....I suppose you can't really go wrong with either bike if you've got the $$ but I haven't ridden either bike and therefore I don't feel qualified to offer an opinion on THIS model year......the problem is you can't just go out and demo dirt bikes as you can with road bikes......

Does anyone out there have real world experience with either bike or, ideally, both bikes? (they've ruled out other mfg's bikes/models)

I have a couple of friends struggling with bike purchase decisions......I wish I had their struggles/$$ :lol::lol:

The 2008 and newer KTMs have a new motor and are highly rated, low center of gravity as always, lot's of zip, etc........the 2009 Husky comes with fuel injection and some other goodies........they look pretty sweet.....I suppose you can't really go wrong with either bike if you've got the $$ but I haven't ridden either bike and therefore I don't feel qualified to offer an opinion on THIS model year......the problem is you can't just go out and demo dirt bikes as you can with road bikes......

Does anyone out there have real world experience with either bike or, ideally, both bikes? (they've ruled out other mfg's bikes/models)

get a beta.

Have them do some reading over at Huskycafe.com There has been some research done on the subject there already.

I assume they are looking for plated bikes? Because otherwise I would hands down say the Husaberg which has beat out pretty much everything this year. That would be the bike I'd spend the money on unless I absolutely needed a plate and even then I might try to see if you could make it happen regardless

I assume they are looking for plated bikes? Because otherwise I would hands down say the Husaberg which has beat out pretty much everything this year. That would be the bike I'd spend the money on unless I absolutely needed a plate and even then I might try to see if you could make it happen regardless

Right - both looking for plated bikes.......both are coming from a mountain biking/motocross mentality and think ALL 4 stroke bikes are heavy pigs if they weigh more than ~270lbs plated........they're both focused on bikes for technical terrain.......one guy just bought a vacation house in Big Bear and he's looking for plated bikes for both himself and his gal pal.......another friend just picked up a 2009 Husky 310 which looks REALLY nice........feather light and fuel injected.....

I just looked at model comparisons in the KTM family........can someone tell me the difference between rocker levers, rolling rocker levers, and cam levers??? :lol:

530 EXC, 530 XC-W, 450 XC-W

http://www.ktm.com/Model-Comparison.96.20.html

can someone tell me the difference between rocker levers, rolling rocker levers, and cam levers??? :blink:

Hoping the car engine terminology translates into bikes..... "rolling" rockers have, uh, rollers at the friction points...reducing friction & wear. It usually increases HP & reduces the time for rpm gains.

cca-1320-1_w_m1.jpg

This one shows the valve stem pocket and then the cam follower with a roller on it.

Can't say I have had much experience with Husky, but I am pretty happy with my KTM. It does not feel heavy. At least compared to my WR450 and actually it feels almost as light as my yzf250 on the motocross track (as long as you ride it like a 250f).

Yes, I have had some issues, but luckily it was taken care of by All American KTM.

I have only ridden a Husky 510 and the vibration was extreme to say the least.

I think both are pretty tall bikes so I would suggest he sit on both.

Another minor complaint with my KTM was handlebar position. When sitting (which isn't often) they bars are WAY too high and I can't get them any lower.

My .02

The Beta is probably hands down the best with a cali plate, but especially with what you said about weight the Husaberg is even better however they cannot be plated in California. The mass centralization on them is supposed to make them feel like a 2stroke 250 when it comes to control but with the power of a monster 4 stroke motor

+1 on the vibration of the Husky TE-510 :lol:

I've found that getting rid of the seat saves a lot of weight . . . :blink::lol:

post-20-1240939377_thumb.jpg

I rode this weekend with a guy who has both a 2006 TE-450 and a 2008 TE-250.

Even though the stated curb weight of the TE-250 is only 10 lbs or so less than the TE-450, he says that it feels much lighter due to how the weight is distributed. For tight technical riding, he much prefers the 250.

On more open trails and sandy washes where power of the 450 can be used, it's a different story.

Still waiting to check out that TE-310 Tanan picked up.

I'm still not sold on the fuel injection thing. <_<

I think FI is the wave of the future (KTM has it on the 690/990.....they're probably just not tooled up yet for the smaller bikes in terms of making design room in the frame and/or giving their lower tier suppliers time to ramp up supply)......bottom line, if I was going to drop big $$ on a new bike I'd probably want one with FI.....

I went over to Escondido during the lunch hour with a friend from work to check out the 09 Husky line-up up close and personal.......pretty impressive......I like the fact that the 09 TE450 Husky has FI (includes FI power-up kit as part of 09 package though I'm not sure how important the power-up kit really is to the casual/dualsport rider :lol: ), a radiator fan and a coolant recovery bottle, a decent kickstand, easy access air-box, easy access valves, axle pulls, etc., etc.......pretty eye opening experience for this KTM loyalist since you won't find any of the above on the new/stock KTM.......wish I could ride an 09 KTM EXC 450 and a 09 Husky TE450 for the most critical "seat of the pants" feel test.......Husky also has a promotion (extended through the end of May) which entitles the buyer to $1K off the price or 4.9% financing....so they're also less expensive than KTM as well......pretty sure my friend is going to snag a 08 or 09 TE450......can't say that I blame him.....

Ok I'll open a big bag of mess here.

Tell any of them to get an Aprilia RXV450

Plated '08 and beyond, more power than all of the above, engine that runs smoother than silk, already has a 3.2 gallon tank, fuelie so no rejetting when going back and forth from Big Bear and anywhere, easily dereistricted and runs perfect, derestictable with factory muffler, super quite for stealth missions, awesome brakes, did I mention gobs of power? radiator fan and coolant recovery bottle included, detailed but longer maintenance intervals than any of the rest, parts are less expensive than comparable Honda parts, dealer network is pretty good any Piaggio/Vespa dealer can get Aprilia parts, awesome balance just about all of the bike and it's parts are in the center of the frame, I believe Husaberg called it mass centralization, my 550 has more power anywhere than I've ever needed, easily the first bike I've ever ridden that I'm not looking for more power out of. I will be looking to set up the suspension for me with springs and maybe a revalve, but most riders will do that with any bike.

$1000 less than a berg, $2-300 less than a KTM. More than a Husky but when you factor the tank, pipe and race kit price is about the same.

Radiators are a little exposed, I tweaked mine on the last ride but guards are available and mine are on the way, engine rebuilds may cost more with two pistons and 8 valves but most rebuilds seem to reuse pistons and often the valves. Valves are kinda burried, but according to my dealer very easy to inspect.

There are plenty of horror stories at the apriliaforums, but I've seen/read/experienced many a horror story on just about every brand of bike ever made. If you shopped based on negative user reviews of anything you'd sit in your empty living room wearing an Ace Bandage loincloth/codpiece staring out into a bowl of dry Kashi cereal wondering why everything in this world sucks so bad. <_<

Happy shopping. :lol:

My first FI bike was a 1983 GPZ-1100.

Bike started well on cold or hot days, at my base altitude or up on the local mountain. Ran quite well too.

I raced a 2000 GSX-R750 and with the Dynojet box added was able to easily remap the FI when I added the pipe and swtch between mapping configurations for normal and high altitude tracks.

Don't have any real statistics to base this on, but I think FI failures are far less common than clogged jets and other carb related issues.

Of course I can rebuld a carb, whereas even as an electrical engineer if the ECM box fails on a FI bike I'm hozed.

Last carburated four wheeled vehicle I had was a 1984 Bronco II. Had a number of carb issues with it.

Currently, my 2006 Husky has an annoying pop and stall that occurs sometimes off idle when the throttle is opened - usually at some really annoying time like right in the middle of attacking some really technical section.

I've diddled with the carb a bit and improved it somewhat, but I'm sure if I had FI I'd have totally eliminated it by now.

Currently, my 2006 Husky has an annoying pop and stall that occurs sometimes off idle when the throttle is opened - usually at some really annoying time like right in the middle of attacking some really technical section.

I've diddled with the carb a bit and improved it somewhat, but I'm sure if I had FI I'd have totally eliminated it by now.

I have heard from other people that have the FI on their Husky's that their bike does the same thing.

If you shopped based on negative user reviews of anything you'd sit in your empty living room wearing an Ace Bandage loincloth/codpiece staring out into a bowl of dry Kashi cereal wondering why everything in this world sucks so bad. :ph34r:

Happy shopping. :good:

stalker

Jon comes and posts a more detailed review of his bike in this thread than the thread we've all been waiting for him to post up about that shiny italian twin :ph34r: