04/14/09 UPDATE

I'm sorry to announce that due to circumstances and events beyond my control, I will have to reschedule this ride at a later date.

What is the riding like up there? How technical? I would love to go if i can handle it.

What is the riding like up there? How technical? I would love to go if i can handle it.

The last time we went, Blind In One Ear went and was just getting his "dirt legs". He had a great time. The trails that I ride are mostly easy with some intermediate or technical stuff thrown in. That's why I suggested splitting into two groups if some of the hard core guys feel like coming up there to ride some of the Black Diamond trails. You'd love the scenery and the trails I think. The staging area is north of Bluejay and about 105 miles from my house in Escondido, but worth the drive. Don't forget your camera.

Nothing too tough. Mostly two track winding through the forest if you stay on the scenic route.

I am both interested and confused at the same time. Which is not unusual.

I'm interested in a Pinnacles ride, but a quick glance at the upper-right corner of my screen tells me TODAY is 4/19/09. Is this a ride for today? If not, what is the choice of day?

More important- where's Roostingu? Have not seen hide nor hair of him in a while?

I am both interested and confused at the same time. Which is not unusual.

I'm interested in a Pinnacles ride, but a quick glance at the upper-right corner of my screen tells me TODAY is 4/19/09. Is this a ride for today? If not, what is the choice of day?

More important- where's Roostingu? Have not seen hide nor hair of him in a while?

Yes, you are confused. It's the 12th today and Easter, too.

Roostingu has been busy working hard and getting pooped out, and we have gone for some short weekend rides.

See? Here's a shot of us from the weekend. He didn't get kidnapped by pirates or anything like that.

100_1674.jpg

I tried to get a Pinnacle strip going a couple of months ago, but a slight head cold and lack of interest from other members (due mostly to people getting ready for big desert events) quelled that plan. So now it's spring. This is the last month for red sticker bikes to be legal to ride in most areas of Southern California and the weather is nice. I would like to meet at the usual meeting spot; the mini mart/gas station park and ride on the west side of I-15 just off of Deer Springs road at around 7:30 to 7:45 AM. All then proceed up to Pinnacles staging area and have a nice day. If the group is large enough and we have a big spread of experience, we could split into to groups: Scenic riders and hardway riders. If not, then just the scenic riders will do. Anybody up for this?

Sure dirt dame... Pick the weekend that we're out of town to schedule the Pinnacles season opener!!! :boast:

Have fun!!! Be sure to report back with conditions on the snow situation and what Devil's Hole looks like!

Ah. Had the calendar on the wrong week. NEXT week. Ah. Thanks.

I'm a definite maybe!

I am in! Let me know if anyone wants to ride share from the ramona area or anywhere in between.

What route do you recommend to get there from Escondido?

Is green sticker open year round?

Very interested in learning about the area.

Beezzz

What route do you recommend to get there from Escondido?

Is green sticker open year round?

Very interested in learning about the area.

Beezzz

Green sticker all year round. Red sticker ending at the end of April.

Directions from an old post:

•Drive north on I-15 to I-215.

•Drive north on I-215 to SR 30.

•Go east on SR 30 to SR 18 (Waterman Avenue) in San Bernardino. Exit the freeway and turn left (north).

•Drive north on SR 18 up the mountain to Daley Canyon Road about 5.5 miles east of the Crestline SR 138 turnoff. Turn left (north) on Daley Canyon Road. Note your odometer and go as follows:

•At 0.5 mile, junction with SR 189. Turn left.

•At 0.8 mile, fork. Go right and then immediately left onto Grass Valley Road.

•At 2.8 miles, fork with Grass Valley Road on the left. Turn left.

•At 5.3 miles, intersection with SR 173. Turn left.

•At 5.5 miles, intersection with Pilot Rock Road (2N33). Keep going straight.

•Continue on SR 173 about 0.7 mile to the entrance of a rifle range. Just past the rifle range, take a right on Willow Creek Jeep Trail (dirt road). Pinnacles staging area is on your right a couple hundred yards down.

GPS coordinates for the entrance to Pinnacles Staging Area: N 34° 17.89' W 117° 11.98'

(Courtesy of Didug from an 07 ride post) :boast:

And note that your garmin turn-by-turn may mislead you. Follow the above instructions instead.

I was going to post a midweek ride up at pinnacles for next week 4/21 4/24. I can't make it next weekend but I'll be looking for a thorough ride report afterwards.

Enjoy and watch out for quadtards and 4WDtards.

Sure dirt dame... Pick the weekend that we're out of town to schedule the Pinnacles season opener!!! :boast:

Have fun!!! Be sure to report back with conditions on the snow situation and what Devil's Hole looks like!

Time waits for no red sticker. :) I'm sure there'll lots more (or at least a few more) Pinnacles rides between now and next winter. Plated, thumb-button bikes will prevail at that time. :)

I was going to post a midweek ride up at pinnacles for next week 4/21 4/24. I can't make it next weekend but I'll be looking for a thorough ride report afterwards.

Enjoy and watch out for quadtards and 4WDtards.

Let's keep in touch on this- it looks like I can't go Sunday, but am interested...

maybe definitely for me. Gig free that weekend... Scenic sallie route is fine with me. Redonda was actually very fun for me, but I'd need a guide to run that again...

Hey all,

If I cannot get the KLX ready in time for the 19th...is the trail passable for a quad???

audible; on redonda ridge we passed 4 quads before the trail was even tough...

The single track down to devils hole is true singletrack... Quads not allowed

Keep in touch about getting the klx ready or a loaner

I was going to post a midweek ride up at pinnacles for next week 4/21 4/24.

Weekdays are always awesome out there, because there's hardly anybody out on the trails. :boast: I might join in a weekday ride, myself. But first, on to the weekend.

So far I have one solid "in", Hobiee and about 3 "sorta-maybes" (and a couple of "sorry-I-can'ts) I hope things firm up with a few more "definites" before the weekend, because a small group between 3 and 10 riders is about the best.

Be sure to report back with conditions on the snow situation and what Devil's Hole looks like!

+1

I never chime in this early in the week for a upcoming weekend but I am a big maybe, I had a blast last weekend up there and we didnt even make it to Pinnacles. If I go I have room for 4 in my truck.

I'm in if KLX is ready (I was told quad would not make it)...so, strong maybe ;)