ShocknAwe

Leapin Lizard 120 Desert Race on 4/19/2009

found this beauty on craigslist. Smoookin deal. Kid had gone off to college and dad wanted it gone. Bike has new piston, plastics, and pipe. Gonna give it a shakedown tomorrow and will most likely run it in the race next week.

3433516426_bf1bd0d299.jpg

Nice!!!! Looking forward to seeing it for a warm up on Sat.

Hoping for a great race for you & Shock.....& anyone else.......Tree? Racing?

found this beauty on craigslist. Smoookin deal. Kid had gone off to college and dad wanted it gone. Bike has new piston, plastics, and pipe. Gonna give it a shakedown tomorrow and will most likely run it in the race next week.

3433516426_bf1bd0d299.jpg

Kool rode my smoker today all fun

Kool rode my smoker today all fun

dude told me it had been run with amsoil 80:1, expert d37 racer ridden. Made me think of you.

Seems like a solid bike, trying to figure out the gearing before the race. 14-50??? came with 14-52.

just got back from a day in the desert. The bike was good, no problems, starts easy etc, but feels kinda gutless compared to the 4 stroke. :boast: The big delay in power delivery makes it a lot less tiresome to ride, but the power kinda blows in deep washes and sand dunes. And the top speed was quite a bit lower than my 4 stroke. Maybe 65 -70. The 540 goes 100 in the dirt.

I don't know how you can do it on a 200 shocknawe??

I'll give it a shot this race and if I'm still not that thrilled, someone is gonna get a really good deal on a 300exc.

See you guys at stuperstition.

just got back from a day in the desert. The bike was good, no problems, starts easy etc, but feels kinda gutless compared to the 4 stroke. :) The big delay in power delivery makes it a lot less tiresome to ride, but the power kinda blows in deep washes and sand dunes. And the top speed was quite a bit lower than my 4 stroke. Maybe 65 -70. The 540 goes 100 in the dirt.

Seems kind of strange that the 300 was gutless. Maybe something is wrong with it. Power valves stuck or not synced correctly or improper jetting. Ignition not advancing properly. Just doesn't sound like the kind of reports I hear about EXC300s. :boast:

just got back from a day in the desert. The bike was good, no problems, starts easy etc, but feels kinda gutless compared to the 4 stroke. ;) The big delay in power delivery makes it a lot less tiresome to ride, but the power kinda blows in deep washes and sand dunes. And the top speed was quite a bit lower than my 4 stroke. Maybe 65 -70. The 540 goes 100 in the dirt.

Seems kind of strange that the 300 was gutless. Maybe something is wrong with it. Power valves stuck or not synced correctly or improper jetting. Ignition not advancing properly. Just doesn't sound like the kind of reports I hear about EXC300s. ;)

Ya, I know it sounds crazy. Its quick on the hard pack stuff, just bogs in the sand. The bike is working correctly, it just won't ever have 4 stroke torque. My other bike would eat it for lunch in a tug of war. But we went for a ride at PV this morning and it seemed more in its element. The single track was easier to navigate.

This is the last race until after summer, does anyone from SDAR wanna come hang out? My wife will be out cruising around during the race with a couple other buddies of mine then they will probably run the course after the race. Its always a good times.

Ya, I know it sounds crazy. Its quick on the hard pack stuff, just bogs in the sand. The bike is working correctly, it just won't ever have 4 stroke torque. My other bike would eat it for lunch in a tug of war. But we went for a ride at PV this morning and it seemed more in its element. The single track was easier to navigate.

Maybe it's because I am such a light person, but my 2005 EXC250 hauled butt in sand. It was fast to get up to speed and really quick to rev if you needed to pull the front end up. It was the best desert bike I've had since my 86 KX 250. That bike did over 80 miles per hour with stock gearing! I like my Husky and consider it a sandwash wonder, but it's heavy by comparison. I guess I'll have a chance to find out what my 06 KX250 is gonna be like in the desert....

believe it or not alot of people have said online that the 250 is more snappy than the 300. I think the 300 has a heavier flywheel or something.

back on topic:

This is the last race until after summer, does anyone from SDAR wanna come hang out? My wife will be out cruising around during the race with a couple other buddies of mine then they will probably run the course after the race. Its always a good times.

believe it or not alot of people have said online that the 250 is more snappy than the 300. I think the 300 has a heavier flywheel or something.

back on topic:

I will probably make it out there. I won't know for sure until later in the week. I have some exploring I want to do out that way. What time does the race start?

Brad

the E (enduro) version has a different smoother power ignition curve, the heavier mass piston and heavier flywheel, however if jetted correctly that 3 honey should flat rip, as long as all else is good to go ie: PV clean and free,,,and adjusted to suit (spring load).

Also FYI 2 stroke theory remember the FUEL air mix rich /lean, is just that ,,, no different than a 4 stroke so if you mix at less oil (80:1) the machine is effectively set up more rich (many are wrong with regard to this) for example 32:1 fuel/oil mix is a lean Fuel air mix.

Run Premium fuel and mix according to oil manufacturers spec or to OEM spec and then jet to get her running clean for your riding style and location. I know that amsoil calls super for low levels of oil but most others like Maxima/Yamalube/Spectro etc will call for safe oil mixes of 32:1-50:1 and the OEM manual will call for a good mix to preserve the motor yet give good performance. I hope this helps,,,also I am sure there are many online resources for KTM300 jetting (note the 300 has been one of the tougher KTMs to get dialed in,,she is historically finicky when jetting for hi performance) Our crew member that rides a 300 has his jetted a little fat to soften the hit in the meat of the power yet the machine still runs clean and will scream if revved up top. super nice machine by the way it is an 06 no?

I'll give it a shot this race and if I'm still not that thrilled, someone is gonna get a really good deal on a 300exc.

Oh yeah that 300 is no good - I will give you 1500 for it. Maybe if jetting doesn't work buy some new reeds. That thing should rip. Got to KTM talk and figure out how to fix it. I am KIP over there too.

Paul

Oh yeah that 300 is no good - I will give you 1500 for it. Maybe if jetting doesn't work buy some new reeds. That thing should rip. Got to KTM talk and figure out how to fix it. I am KIP over there too.

Paul

that is so right!!! But i will give ya 1525 for it,,

Brad- tell them how much it cost you... Ozzy has already offered him more than he paid for it.

Brad, My KTM 200 EXC tops out around 65mph. The 2 stroke power band is totally different from my 4 stroke KTM 400 EXC. The 2 stroke is snappy; the 4 stroke is like a tractor. At around 215 pounds, my 2 stroke glides over deep sand. It does not need a stabilizer. The only issue I had with power was going up big sand dunes, but downshifting on the way up fixed that too. The 2 stroke won't really idle. It says, "Throttle me, give me gas to stay alive daddy!!" :lol:

Brad, My KTM 200 EXC tops out around 65mph. The 2 stroke power band is totally different from my 4 stroke KTM 400 EXC. The 2 stroke is snappy; the 4 stroke is like a tractor. At around 215 pounds, my 2 stroke glides over deep sand. It does not need a stabilizer. The only issue I had with power was going up big sand dunes, but downshifting on the way up fixed that too. The 2 stroke won't really idle. It says, "Throttle me, give me gas to stay alive daddy!!" :ph34r:

cool, a 120 mile race should be a breeze then. :lol:

I got a softer power valve spring ordered. Its supposed to makes the power come on a lot harder. Bike only set me back 1600$ :friends: , so a little tweaking is no biggie.

robert, its a 2003.

back on topic:

Race starts at 9 I think ken, like I said briana will be up for cruising with whoever wants to come on out. I think I'll try and head out saturday ;)

Bike only set me back 1600$ :friends:

Nice find :ph34r: .......I'd like to get a 2 smoker to goof around on......Kathy says that'll only happen if it also steam cleans carpets :lol:B);)

very nice find! be safe out there and enjoy the ride!!

be safe out there and enjoy the ride!!

Both of those things might be hard to do, supposed to get up to 101 on Sunday. :rolleyes:

be safe out there and enjoy the ride!!

Both of those things might be hard to do, supposed to get up to 101 on Sunday. :rolleyes:

better get to hydrating NOW at least a gal per day and add some electrolyte to retain system hydration,,,,go light on your gear moose sahara stuff is great!

back on topic:

Brad, I am going to be a no-show. Too hot for my delicate, frail body :blink::lol: . I will probably do a street ride in the mountains or near the coast. Have fun and good luck. Ken

How was the race? was it hottttt? I had things come up so I couldn't make it. Plus the heat had me lacking motivation. :crazy: