paulmbowers

Tow Rope

I know we have a resident expert on being towed somewhere. I coerced a AT&T crew out of the cool stuff- webbing for pulling conduits. They gave me a LOT of the stuff, and I need to cut it into lengths appropriate to carry (not too bulky) and tow- not so long you're in their dust, but not so short that you're running into the tow bike.

Suggestions?

I've never towed, or been towed, and welcome towtips. TipTows?

p

Multiple segments that you can join together as/if needed offer more utility than one single length (ideally each segment will have at least one end with a closed loop if not both ends).......that way you have multiple lengths for multiple tasks......one time two 6' segments may serve as a 12' tow rope.....the next time those same two segments may be used separately to lash something down on the back of the bike AND/OR your backpack OR (?).......I carry a couple of 12' lengths.......I think Strega carrys three 6' lengths........

20 feet max... 10 minimum... have a photo of the stuff?

Yes, but don't use it on your business website, please :( The stuff is called Muletape, it has a half-ton breaking strength, and appears to be more compact than the climbing webbing I carry. It's used for pulling wire and fiberoptics through conduits.

muletape.jpg

20 feet max... 10 minimum... have a photo of the stuff?

Yes, but don't use it on your business website, please :( The stuff is called Muletape, it has a half-ton breaking strength, and appears to be more compact than the climbing webbing I carry. It's used for pulling wire and fiberoptics through conduits.

muletape.jpg

This is similar to what I carry for a tow strap. I have never measured it, but I estimate mine between 75 and 100 feet long.

This is similar to what I carry for a tow strap. I have never measured it, but I estimate mine between 75 and 100 feet long.

75-100ft??? Holy schnikes!

As far as the actual towing part you secure the rope/strap to the tow vehicle then loop it to the vehicle to be towed through the middle area of the handle bars with engough left to wrap it a couple time around the left grip so the towee can place his hand over the strap to secure it. The pull point should line up with the front tire. Key point-do not tie it or have it secured in any way other then hand pressure placed on the grip. this will allow the towee to release the strap if he has an issue or falls. The strap should come off without draging him or his bike should a problem occur. It is a little tricky to find an ideal strap point on the dual sports with the light, blikers, shrouds, and such but it can still be done. MX bikes are easy.

Can be used to get down a steep hill to a rider or bike. Can be used to pull a bike out of a ravine. Many possible uses. Takes up about the same amount of space as a beer can but much lighter.

I think if I had enough room for a beer can in my backpack, I'd probably carry a can of beer. :(

But if you're carrying 100 feet of the stuff, I think you'll be in my group from now on....

Can be used to get down a steep hill to a rider or bike. Can be used to pull a bike out of a ravine. Many possible uses. Takes up about the same amount of space as a beer can but much lighter.

Ken

Is your strap the same cable pull nylon as FN's? I have about a 75 ft piece of the same stuff which I have made into dog leashes and about 15' tow straps for each bike. It is strong enough for towing and still compact. I like your idea of using it to pull a bike out of a ravine. However, the last time I got stuck in a deep ravine (about 20 years ago) our only solution at the time was to disassemble the bike and carry it out piece by piece. Learned my lesson on that one. :(

Don

No doubt somehow turned into a philosophical lecture.

Well..... bad habit of mine. I do this for a living. I have done my share of stupid stuff on bikes, it would be nice if George Carlin's "Life is Lived Backwards" routine were not true. If we were born with the knowledge to live life wisely and well by starting out old then get progressively younger it wouldn't be a comedy and tragedy of errors.

Mine is similar, only not nice and new. It weighs just under 1/2 pound.

P2100132.jpg

P2100132.jpg

Nice. I think mine is the same stuff but I have never been able to tie it that compactly. Must be because you were in the Marines and I was in the Army.

P2100132.jpg

Nice. I think mine is the same stuff but I have never been able to tie it that compactly. Must be because you were in the Marines and I was in the Army.

Hmmmm, I'm in the Navy and my tow rope is just thrown into the tail bag in a knotted mess.

P2100132.jpg

Hmmmm, I'm in the Navy and my tow rope is just thrown into the tail bag in a knotted mess.

Don't be so humble. My brother was in the Navy and whenever it came to ropes and tying a knot he would always pull rank on me and declare that all seamen are masters of the rope and the high art of tying a knot. Army guys should just get out of the way and let a sailor do it. Just between you and me I think it was really just because he was my "older" brother.

uh-oh. I was in neither....

Don't feel deprived. Just bring along a couple of extra quality beers on the next ride and I bet you can get Ken to show you how he did it.

uh-oh. I was in neither....

You're better off. I was in the Air Force and I use mine to jump rope. :(

But I did rig yachts and small sailboats, so maybe I have a bit of expertise.