boat440

Don't Read This If You Have An Electric Start Bike

WARNING, IF YOU HAVE A RED ELECTRIC START BUTTON OR KEY START STOP!!!! READ NO FURTHER

SWITCH TOPICS

YOU WILL BE WASTING YOUR TIME TURN BACK NOW

For those of you that do it the old fashioned way and kick-start your bike this topics for you. And those old Swedish built Husqvarna owners with the left side kick, you guys get extra credit.

Ever notice a 2-stroke guy trying to kick start a 4-stroke like a 2-stroke? They kick and kick and kick continuously giving it gas. No luck. You can't tell them about TDC and no gas. All of them kick it like a 2-stroke without any regards to the compression stroke all the while flooding it. Then you hop on the bike and get it fired up on the first kick. Often they look at you in amazement like you have magical powers or a magical leg. Here's the secret for a DRZ400

1. Gently kick the bike until you feel the 1st hard stop.

2. Advance the kick starter further until you feel a click or the 2nd hard stop.

3. Raise the kick starter to the top of the stroke

4. Engage 1/8 or less throttle

5. Simultaneously keep the same throttle opening (do not open further) while kicking thru to the end.

6. Apply a large grin across your face as your 4-stroke fires up on the first kick without an e-start motor & battery

So what is your starting regiment?

So how about it Honda XR owners what's your routine??

Anybody want to take a crack at starting your bike after a fall with the floats open letting gas drip on the ground??

WARNING, IF YOU HAVE A RED ELECTRIC START BUTTON OR KEY START STOP!!!! READ NO FURTHER

SWITCH TOPICS

YOU WILL BE WASTING YOUR TIME TURN BACK NOW

For those of you that do it the old fashioned way and kick-start your bike this topics for you. And those old Swedish built Husqvarna owners with the left side kick, you guys get extra credit.

Ever notice a 2-stroke guy trying to kick start a 4-stroke like a 2-stroke? They kick and kick and kick continuously giving it gas. No luck. You can't tell them about TDC and no gas. All of them kick it like a 2-stroke without any regards to the compression stroke all the while flooding it. Then you hop on the bike and get it fired up on the first kick. Often they look at you in amazement like you have magical powers or a magical leg. Here's the secret for a DRZ400

1. Gently kick the bike until you feel the 1st hard stop.

2. Advance the kick starter further until you feel a click or the 2nd hard stop.

3. Raise the kick starter to the top of the stroke

4. Engage 1/8 or less throttle

5. Simultaneously keep the same throttle opening (do not open further) while kicking thru to the end.

6. Apply a large grin across your face as your 4-stroke fires up on the first kick without an e-start motor & battery

So how about it Honda XR owners what's your routine??

Anybody want to take a crack at starting your bike after a fall with the floats open letting gas drip on the ground??

That won't work on a vintage Husky 390, 250 etc.. The Mikuni and Bing carburetors used enriching valves that went through the low speed circuits. You need to keep the throttle closed to get the extra fuel for a cold start. If you open the throttle even a little all you will get is air. ;)

Don

Anyone with an older YZ/WR 400/426 four stroke knows this routine. They didn't run an auto-decompression cam until the 450 came out so there is a "routine" to get it going. Otherwise you can retro-fit a 450 cam to make it easier. I have had a 450 cam in my garage for about two years so I guess the procedure isn't too bad.

1. When it's cold, choke on. If it's warm/hot/fell over you might need to pull the hot start. Mine usually doesn't need it.

2. No throttle. Ever!

3. Push down kick start lever until it stops. I haven't ever been able to push it through the compression stroke.

4. Pull decompression lever on left side of handlebar.

5. Push kick starter just through the compression stroke, maybe an inch or two down on the kicker.

6. Release decompression lever, let kick starter return to the top of it's trave.

7. Kick through the entire travel of the kick start lever with a healthy kick (my 12 year old son can start my bike).

8. Usually one kick when warm, two when cold/hot/fell over.

It's easier than it sounds, some people I explain it to once and they are riding my bike all day and some people can't seem to figure it out. I bitch about not having e-start but my bike starts pretty reliably 99% of the time.

My DR350 was stolen twice... I got it back with a busted ignition twice... both times, about a block down the street... they couldn't start the thing :dance3:

lame-o...

My DR350 was stolen twice... I got it back with a busted ignition twice... both times, about a block down the street... they couldn't start the thing :dance3:

lame-o...

Twice. It must be a really really nice bike, or maybe it wasn't worth stealing, or maybe you have 2-Stroke only criminals.

BikeSlut you are exempt, please don't post your starting procedure, they might actually succeed.

In this case the aphorism "less is more" wins, or should I say you. :drinks:

lame-o...

Twice. It must be a really really nice bike, or maybe it wasn't worth stealing, or maybe you have 2-Stroke only criminals.

BikeSlut you are exempt, please don't post your starting procedure, they might actually succeed.

In this case the aphorism "less is more" wins, or should I say you. :drinks:

it was just very accessible... busy street; no garage...

...no lock, no common sense... :unsure:

My BRP is actually very easy to start and almost always starts on the first kick, even when I dump it and fuel is pouring out of the carb.

To start an XR650R with a DS kit on it:

1. If cold, turn on the choke.

2. Pull in the decompression lever and hold the throttle wide open.

3. Kick it through 5-10 times. (More kicks the colder it is. It does nothing for the bike, it just gets you warmed up to ride. :unsure: )

4. Close the throttle.

5. Kick slowly to the point of resistance (aka TDC).

6. Pull in the decomp and kick it through TDC, about 1-2 inches.

7. Release the decomp and allow the kickstart to return to the top.

8. Switch the "ignition" to "ON"

9. Give it one good solid kick and enjoy the sounds of 650cc's of fury!!!

10. Take off your flip flops and get dressed to ride while the bike warms up!! :lol:

11. Make sure to turn the choke off after a minute or two.

If the bike is hot, I just do steps 5 through 9. It almost always starts on the first kick.

If I dump the bike, which happens surprisingly often, I do the same as a cold start but without the choke.

Two other things I have discovered about BRP's. 1) They will not start if the fuel petcock is on "OFF" no matter how many times you kick it, cuss at it and scream at it. 2) BRP owners who kickstart their BRP's in flip flops after washing their bikes all have a scar on the back of their right calf from the kickstarter slapping them when their foot slips off the kickstart at the bottom of the stroke because a wet flip-flop is a slippery muther f'ing flip-flop!!

It's easier than it sounds, some people I explain it to once and they are riding my bike all day and some people can't seem to figure it out. I bitch about not having e-start but my bike starts pretty reliably 99% of the time.

My 98 YZ400 was EASY to start as long as you followed the above routine....that said, it it was also tiring and/or sometimes a real pain to "re-kick-it" in the middle of a climb if you chunked it while climbing a hill and/or after a full day of riding......

Old/Fat C-Daddy is DONE with kick only bikes :wacko: .....GIMME THE BUTTON!!! :lol: ........just realized the KTM 300 XC-W has had a magic (e) button since 06' :o:lol: (found that out last night walking around lusting in All American KTM :unsure: :dance: )......aw crap, now C-Daddy wants a light/nimble 2 stroke with a magic button for technical pleasures......time to save more pennies.... :ph34r:

My BRP is actually very easy to start and almost always starts on the first kick, even when I dump it and fuel is pouring out of the carb.

To start an XR650R with a DS kit on it:

1. If cold, turn on the choke.

2. Pull in the decompression lever and hold the throttle wide open.

3. Kick it through 5-10 times. (More kicks the colder it is. It does nothing for the bike, it just gets you warmed up to ride. :dance: )

4. Close the throttle.

5. Kick slowly to the point of resistance (aka TDC).

6. Pull in the decomp and kick it through TDC, about 1-2 inches.

7. Release the decomp and allow the kickstart to return to the top.

8. Switch the "ignition" to "ON"

9. Give it one good solid kick and enjoy the sounds of 650cc's of fury!!!

10. Take off your flip flops and get dressed to ride while the bike warms up!! :unsure:

11. Make sure to turn the choke off after a minute or two.

If the bike is hot, I just do steps 5 through 9. It almost always starts on the first kick.

If I dump the bike, which happens surprisingly often, I do the same as a cold start but without the choke.

Two other things I have discovered about BRP's. 1) They will not start if the fuel petcock is on "OFF" no matter how many times you kick it, cuss at it and scream at it. 2) BRP owners who kickstart their BRP's in flip flops after washing their bikes all have a scar on the back of their right calf from the kickstarter slapping them when their foot slips off the kickstart at the bottom of the stroke because a wet flip-flop is a slippery muther f'ing flip-flop!!

I have an 87 Honda XL600r. You described it perfectly. When you are an old short light weight like me it is a real bear to start. That is why I ride my 84 XL250r so much. :lol:

Don

I had a '79 XR500 that I kept at a friend's house in coastal Oregon. I'd ride it about twice a year. I was a street-boy at the time, and HATED that bike. Not only would it stall on hills, but the hills had about 4" of gooey mud on them, making it impossible to kick it. And kicking it needed. Rollin through the hills, though, it was beautiful. Cemented the idea that I would return to dirt bikes sooner or later.

So. When I returned to the dirt bike world, I returned with a button.

But that does not mean I can't or won't kick the bike when it deserves it.

p

...no lock, no common sense... :unsure:

Sure! Wait til I go to a meeting, then throw a dig while I'm away... Troublemaker.

We ALL know I'm the troublemaker here;

Okay, I know my TE has the magic button, but it is really easy to kickstart, even in tennis shoes. Push kickstarter down till it meets resistance, then pull in the compression release, push the kickstarter a little further, release compression release, let the kickstarter come back up and then give a kick, cracking the throttle the tiniest bit.. Use the hot start button if the bike has been dropped or the if it has been stalled in hot weather. :unsure: If the bike is cold, pull out the enrichening knob and give the throttle a couple of twists to get the accelerator pump to squirt a little gas into the carb venturi, then use no throttle.

Okay, I know my TE has the magic button, but it is really easy to kickstart, even in tennis shoes. Push kickstarter down till it meets resistance, then pull in the compression release, push the kickstarter a little further, release compression release, let the kickstarter come back up and then give a kick, cracking the throttle the tiniest bit.. Use the hot start button if the bike has been dropped or the if it has been stalled in hot weather. :unsure: If the bike is cold, pull out the enrichening knob and give the throttle a couple of twists to get the accelerator pump to squirt a little gas into the carb venturi, then use no throttle.

Fake, Foney, Fraud

No e-start capable bikes allowed.

Please remove the previous post from the record.

I wouldn't know........my first dirt oriented bike was a '94 DR350SE...electric start.

Since I never had to kick, I told myself I'd probably never own a kick only bike......but my 640 does have a kick as backup......only used it once or twice :lol:

electric start bikes were the beginning of the end for dirt biking... before you knew it, every nancy and sallie could start a bike... they started riding all our trails, and got 'em closed down... Zenosan is my kick starting sensei

EDIT

Real men kick start, only girly-men push buttons and clutter up the desert when they RIDE QUADS. :lol:

Hmmm...

Since boat440 has made his neanderthal kick-start only invasion of my e-start thread, it's time for my snobby, e-start equipped self to jump in here and expose him for the fake he is!!!!

From his introduction thread: DRZ rider wants to ride:

I've been riding for nearly 20 yrs with my son. Well he's off to college.

Would like to get involved with a SD club, I live in north county. I've been a member of Big Bear Trail Riders for about 5 years and ride with them, but am looking for local rides to. I recently did the Paiute ATV trail in Utah and am planning a bigger ride for next summer. I have a DRZ400 that has a CA plate (got it registered before the Jan 04 deadline). My DRZ is a kick-model. Wish I had that magical button, but it's been dependable, provides enough low-end power and comfort for my riding.

I have plans for monthly rides throughout the Mojave and Death Valley area this winter, but looking to find dedicated/dependable riders on D/S bikes for these rides. I will be posting a ride from Ridgecrest to Lone Pine for 10/06 & 10/07, check the ride board.

I enjoy all types of riding. From open desert (OK), to fire roads (good), to single track (best). It's fun to be challenged on some technical rocky up-hills (sharpen those skills) but also relax on open easy truck trail riding. The best rides are a combination of both.

Most importantly is sharing the camaraderie and good times of the sport with other riders.

If there are any dirt club (non-racing) or dual-sport meetings in the SD area please let me know?

Hope to see all on the trail.

And from a writeup on his ride: Hammer's Super Hero Loop:

I wanted to give a thanks to Craig (Hammerin Hammon) and recommend his ride for advanced riders. He has another ride coming up this weekend (12/9) you do not want to miss.

I meet Craig at the Home Depot/McDonald's at San Macros Blvd off of highway 78. He had already ordered his Egg McMuffin and a healthy Orange Juice. A die hard Honda rider, he has his trials bike (an XR440 with a hopped motor and a new rear tire). I knew I should have changed my tire.

After our meal we headed north to the riding area. It was cold, rainy and the lighting was flat. We proceeed north on Twin Oaks Valley road until making a turn on some non-description road. I don't know how Craig found this place, but that's for another story. The day before it rained all day. It was very slick, muddy and wet. We started up a fairly steep grade. I was going pretty good until we came to this step-up ledge. Not having enough momentum, my first fall occurred. Well I pick-up the bike and walked it down to try it again. Having a kick-start DRZ, I need to get that magical button. Again try it again and this time I got to hard on the throttle combined with the the poor traction and go sideways and get stopped at the same step-up. Craig was kind enough to show me how. A little embarassing, but heck after dropping and picking the bike up twice I put my pride aside.

We continue on more uphills with deep large ruts, bowling ball sized rocks and off-camber sides. These were easier as we got to the top of the mountain range. We started going down hill down and it was quite slippery. I lost the feel of my back brake (due to the mud and slick surfaces) and was cautious not to lock it up and slide sideways.

We did lot's of single track at the top of the mountain range. It was great. Some of it was steep both ways but fun. We came to a real "hero" hill climb. I watched Craig climb it and he was going sideways(rear wheel spinning) and decided not to follow. Had I had a better rear tire with less slickness I will try. Finally we went up these long sweeping hills. Again they are challenging. but when you make them the exhilaration is tremendous.

The mountain range runs parallel to I-15 a few miles west. it is remote and quite hidden. I recorded the tracks in my GPS as I you could never find this area yourself. We are lucky to have such a challenging yet close area to ride. Overall we did 22 miles in just under 2 hours.

I recommend to advanced riders to go on HH's ride. Yes, you will be picking up your bike but your riding skills will improve. I look forward to another ride with Craig (great attitude and ride lead) and his hero loop.

Sounds like we have a case of "e-start" envy here..............................

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(yes, it's a slow day at work)

dug unleashes his mad search skillz

Hey...

I may suck at riding!!!

I may suck at kick-starting!!!

But at least I'm good at searching!!! :unsure::lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like we have a case of "e-start" envy here..............................

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(yes, it's a slow day at work)

Digdug, I guess you can say some of us are bi-polar or go both ways. :unsure:

When I'm riding my DRZ400, yes I wish I had the magic button. But when I'm riding my EXC530 and getting nasty thumb cramps, I wish back to the DRZ.

When I'm riding my DRZ400, yes I wish I had the magic button. But when I'm riding my EXC530 and getting nasty thumb cramps, I wish back to the DRZ.

So you infiltrated your own thread before you even started??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Digdug, I guess you can say some of us .... go both ways. :unsure:

I'm not taking the bait... :lol: