dirt dame

Motorcycling vs Fishing

As a child, I spent part of my time down south in Louisiana where there is a good deal of water and fish. And I lived across the street from a canal and a lake that then drained into a swamp, so I fished a lot as a youth. I still remember my first fishing set up, a Zebco 77 reel and rod combo that my mom got me with S&H Green Stamps when I was four years old. I was so excited that I could hardly wait to have my dad take me over to the lake and instruct me on how to use my new tackle. So over the years, my interest has held up fairly well for fishing. So well, that I was a tackle manager for eight years at a local sporting goods store. I have fished bay and ocean, fly fished trout streams in Montana and was active in local bass tournaments in the 90s. I fished way before I ever hopped on a Kawasaki Trail Boss and fell over with it in a vacant lot next to my house when I was a teenager.

Today, I decided to go fishing after an absence from it. I had been too financially strapped to be able to pursue too many hobbies over the last year, so bikes it was and the tackle and boats sat and rotted. So, I decided to treat myself to a little fishing adventure out at Lake Morena. My boats are still out of commission; they are still pretty far down on the list of things I should be spending money on right now, so it was shore fishing for trout for me. I bought a new fishing license and grabbed a couple of trout rods, then it was out to the lake. Fishing was lousy, not just for me; but for everybody that I could see around me. It was a nice day and nice scenery at the lake, but I didn't need to drive that far and pay that kind of money to sit in a folding chair and stare at fishless water (and listen to the guy next to me use the word "dude" about 40 times in one minute while he talked to his buddy). I sighed and looked across the water at Bronco Peak in the distance and it reminded me of earlier times when I used to ride the trail from Corral Canyon all the way to the lake shore back in the 80s. Some of the people who rode with me would park and jump in the water when we went riding in the summertime. Often, when I stopped just above the dam, I could see trout pudding around near the surface in the middle of the dam arm. I once even rode the lake bed when the water was way down. Later on, when I got my first boat and cruised that arm of the lake, I graphed 40 feet of water between my boat and the surface I had ridden my KDX over so many years before.

Anyway, it didn't take me to too long to figure out that riding motorcycles was still way cooler than fishing, no matter how I looked at it, and for lots of good reasons:

#1. You don't need water to ride a motorcycle. There is always at least pavement around, and so far there is enough dirt, although admittedly most of it, isn't very close to where I live.

#2. Rain doesn't ruin a trail ride. Makes for traction or loss of it, gets rid of dust and keeps you cool while you are working out out on the trail. Sitting in the rain on a shoreline or in a boat can be a cold, clammy bummer.

#3. Bikes have evolved more than fishing tackle and we still get to ride our bikes in most areas for free. A street licence doesn't cost anymore than your regular license and you renew it every 4 years, but fishing licenses just keep getting more and more expensive and you need one every year. Lake fees just jumped a bunch too. (it cost me 8 bucks today to fish,but I remember that it wasn't long ago that it cost me 9.50 for launch fee and fishing permit.)

#4. Trail riding is better exercise than fishing. Sometimes I think street riding is better exercise than fishing.

#5. You always get what you came for on your ride (as long as your bike stays running and doesn't get any flat tires). You go for a ride and you get a ride. You might crash or have an scrape or two, but you went for a ride and that's what you got. When you go fishing, you don't always catch fish. I am told that this is why "fishing" is not called "catching", and that makes perfect sense.

#6. You can hear the sweet sound of your bikes motor as you ride along instead of the sound of some sunburned guy saying "dude" and "bro" every 20 seconds just down the shore line, while you aren't actually catching any fish. ;)

#7. You get to wear better looking outfits when you ride a motorcycle. :lol:

#8. You never have a carton of night crawlers left over from a trail or street ride. ;)

#9. Other people can't BS you about what great riders they are. In fishing, people tell lots of fishing stories and you can't tell if they telling little white lies or not. With riding bikes, you can tell right away if they really know how to ride or not.

I should have been out riding today instead of wetting a line. ;)

I hear they are hitting on green at Albertsons :lol:

Not only that but it's cheaper, quicker and then you have time to go riding. :)

I enjoy combining both of these hobbies. I take a milk crate and strap it on to the rack of my Yamaha. I attach to the inside two pvc pipes large enough to hold two rod and reels verticaly. With the rest of the space my tackle, a small cooler, and a ThermaRest that converts to a ground chair. Since I live in Descanso, I cruise to Morena, Cuyamaca, and Jennings. By the way Mimi, I did a solo ride to the top of Bronco and looked down at the lake and I think I saw you cause I heard a bunch of dudes saying dude. By the way Corral had more Mnt Bikers than dirt bikers. I went up Wrangler or Rangler from the south side and there was a rock section in the trail maybe half way up, I did it with my feet flailing off the back! Now I'm off topic I had better stop :lol:

Ever try ocean fishing DD? I have a beater 21' boat that I take out alot during the summer. Your right, I think I would rather go on a good trail ride but when the Yellowtails and Dorados are here I'm out hunting the paddys! Mako and Thresher shark are always a fun time too.

I catch my own bait so really the only expense is gas and if the price stays reasonable, I'll be out alot this summer and Ill do some invites. I didnt get out once last year when it was 5 bucks a gallon.

fishing.jpg

I do a some photography for fishing-related gear. Had some fishing shorts in a few weeks ago- had I known everybody dug soaking lines, I'd have grabbed some for you- the samples already went back to the client where they'll languish in some warehouse. I have to cut the tags out of them, so they're not saleable.

I've shot lures, reels, rods, and all sorts of tackle.

Next time, I'll see if I can- wait for it..........hook you up.

p

Ever try ocean fishing DD? I have a beater 21' boat that I take out alot during the summer. Your right, I think I would rather go on a good trail ride but when the Yellowtails and Dorados are here I'm out hunting the paddys!

Whatchoo talkin' bout? :lol:

La Jolla Kelp trip 98

yellowtail10-98.jpg

Somewhere near the 302 trip 98

dorado10-98.jpg

Thats a good looking dodo there Mimi,,,, check out this Thresher

joeshark.jpg

I gotta lotta fishing pictures

Yow, what a giant slab that shark is. I used to get all those shark guys in the shop looking for steel leaders and those big Leadmaster baiting rigs. Oh yeah, I remember now....the Bait-o-matic.

You usually catch Threshers, like I did that one, by the tail. They strike thier pray with thier tail before the come back and try to eat it so a steel leader isnt exactly required. I use them anyway. 100 lb test, a two speed reel, a really nice harness and 5 hours to burn and about a 12 back of cold beer are essential for a shark that size. That particular shark trashed my buddys boat. (thats his boat in the picture). It broke my downrigger, (there was two on the boat when we left) busted his railing, his pole holders, one of the supports for his roof, tore a cleat off of the hull when we tied off the flying gaff, spilled several beers and left welts on both of us. He took 5 hours to land and drug us 9 miles. There was no way we were going to get him on board so we towed him in. He weighed in at 380 lbs. and I caught him on 100 lb test. I had to throw the reel away as it was ruined. Yep, I caught him on a bait o matic, with a live Mackeral about 12 miles out of Oceanside.

Mimi; GAME ON! I did not fish enough last year, I've got the gear but did not have the time but I did make a new years resolution to get out and fish for some Pelagic species this yeat so I will be going out when spring gets here B)

I had me a nice little 18ft Center console but am currently without a boat, the good thing is that I have friends who like to chase the Yellowtail, Albacore and Dorado on their boats so I will keep in touch and give you a call when they come back within reach so you can come with us and score some good eating fish.

Rachel's Husky is good to go now. I cleaned out the exhaust and the carb and all the electrical stuff and it's running perfectly.

Hope to see you on a ride again soon!

Great post! I do not have any digital pics of some of the big monsters I've caught but we'll have to change that this year!

What reel did you burn up?

It was a Okuma, a Korean wantabe reel that I got as a present. I still have a single speed one that has help up okay but the two speed was toast after that fish.

It was a Okuma, a Korean wantabe reel that I got as a present. I still have a single speed one that has help up okay but the two speed was toast after that fish.

A Titus Gold, perhaps? The older ones snapped their anti-reverses and had to be up-dated with the new style one way bearing anti-reverse. I sold a lot of Okuma and I use some too. The newer versions are pretty tough. My dream rig was a custom color wrapped 30-80 6 ft. Kencor Zebra stick with an Avet LX6/3 and 65 pound braid. I never did get it, though. It would have been a great deal, since I was in the business.

they dont call em KABOOOMMMMMMAAAAAAAAA for nothing.

I fish sometimes

B)

unigoop.com

Mimi; GAME ON! I did not fish enough last year, I've got the gear but did not have the time but I did make a new years resolution to get out and fish for some Pelagic species this yeat so I will be going out when spring gets here B)

I had me a nice little 18ft Center console but am currently without a boat, the good thing is that I have friends who like to chase the Yellowtail, Albacore and Dorado on their boats so I will keep in touch and give you a call when they come back within reach so you can come with us and score some good eating fish.

Rachel's Husky is good to go now. I cleaned out the exhaust and the carb and all the electrical stuff and it's running perfectly.

Hope to see you on a ride again soon!

Great post! I do not have any digital pics of some of the big monsters I've caught but we'll have to change that this year!

Heck, besides the wrench day, I haven't seen you at all this year! B)

they dont call em KABOOOMMMMMMAAAAAAAAA for nothing.

I fish sometimes

B)

unigoop.com

I've seen 'em all break over the years. The Avets had problems. I've seen bad Accurates, lots of Shimano and Penn. What I have seen the least of come in for repairs were Daiwas.

I enjoy combining both of these hobbies. I take a milk crate and strap it on to the rack of my Yamaha. I attach to the inside two pvc pipes large enough to hold two rod and reels verticaly. With the rest of the space my tackle, a small cooler, and a ThermaRest that converts to a ground chair. Since I live in Descanso, I cruise to Morena, Cuyamaca, and Jennings.

I used to combine trail riding and fishing back in the 70s and 80s, riding the back trails and fire roads of North County and finding little ponds here and there. Some day I will take my TE or KLX up to Pinnacles for a ride and in the middle of the ride I'll go fly fishing in Deep Creek.

A Titus Gold, perhaps? The older ones snapped their anti-reverses and had to be up-dated with the new style one way bearing anti-reverse. I sold a lot of Okuma and I use some too. The newer versions are pretty tough. My dream rig was a custom color wrapped 30-80 6 ft. Kencor Zebra stick with an Avet LX6/3 and 65 pound braid. I never did get it, though. It would have been a great deal, since I was in the business.

I dont remember the model. I dont know much about Okuma's but it was a big two speed. I do remember taking it apart and it smelled like burnt wire. The body of the reel was so warped that it wouldnt go back together. One of the gears crumbled in my hands. My friend Joe and I we're taking turns on that monster and we kept pouring water on the thing because it was smoking. Maybe that is why it warped, I dont know. I've never seen a reel smoke like that. It was brand new. I didnt really care, it made for great stories around the grill while eating Threasher, the Filet Mignon of fish.

I dont remember the model. I dont know much about Okuma's but it was a big two speed. I do remember taking it apart and it smelled like burnt wire. The body of the reel was so warped that it wouldnt go back together. One of the gears crumbled in my hands. My friend Joe and I we're taking turns on that monster and we kept pouring water on the thing because it was smoking. Maybe that is why it warped, I dont know. I've never seen a reel smoke like that. It was brand new. I didnt really care, it made for great stories around the grill while eating Threasher, the Filet Mignon of fish.

Sounds like it was a graphite body reel.....

Wow, too bad you didn't get a picture of the burned up reel! B) B) B)

I think the perfect weekend should include a day for riding and a day for fishing. Last saturday I got 8 queen fish and pan fryed 'em for dinner. mmmmMMMMMM so tastey! I had forgotten how delicious those little guys are. B) They're not as good as trout, but then again what is? And to get a mess of trout like these, I have to go a heck of a lot further.

IMG_0127.jpg

I think the perfect weekend should include a day for riding and a day for fishing. Last saturday I got 8 queen fish and pan fryed 'em for dinner. mmmmMMMMMM so tastey! I had forgotten how delicious those little guys are. B) They're not as good as trout, but then again what is? And to get a mess of trout like these, I have to go a heck of a lot further.

IMG_0127.jpg

Sweet photo, Are you going to shelter island this saturday? Its the san diego anglers open bay bass tourney.

If so, stop by my booth and kick it , I hear they got free beer on tap again this year

to get a mess of trout like these, I have to go a heck of a lot further.

And you couldn't ride a trail bike to get to 'em.

And you couldn't ride a trail bike to get to 'em.

Only in my dreams. Probably in Oregon or someplace like that you could . . . ( ( ( pyro contemplates extended roadtrip ) ) ) :angry: