You guys put a lot of work into this ride without asking for any money.

And on several occasions greeted me with a cold beer. Thats over the top!

i just want to ride back to the monument. it was a great ride anybody else? ken? all hard way this time? cant we all just get along.

I am ready for another go at it. I will have to get some work done around the house for a weekend though. This football season has really cut into my chores. I haven't even taken down the Christmas lights yet. :( . I think I will gear up the Husky a couple of notches and have a go at it again. :D Ken

im in anytime after bob gets his new baby pass he is staying at home with the wife and his new baby. he'll be ready to ride soon ..

ill ride that again anytime

But this screen image is pretty low-res- it's created for the web. I can send you the original file, if you'd like.

Please do, my e-mail address is in the members only forum - thanks

Joliet, xxxinsd,

Did you guys did only one "hard ways" section of the ride? I remember reading about possible 3-4 hard sections on the ride. I would like to go next time.

papa.

Joliet, xxxinsd,

Did you guys did only one "hard ways" section of the ride? I remember reading about possible 3-4 hard sections on the ride. I would like to go next time.

papa.

There was a ~5 mile morning hardway up a F'up /rocky wash and a ~15 mile afternoon hardway through the hills......the other options were an extended tour north of Randsburg and a detour through Garlock......but everyone cashed out before those two additional/optional morning sections........the general consensus seemed to be that the morning wash was the more difficult of the two hardways......that particular stretch was run in the opposite direction during the LA-B-V ride this year.....I was told it was "doable" in either direction by my friend who created that particular track (but he's evil sometimes :spiteful: ).....sounds like some folks would take issue with that opinion :o:rolleyes::) .......the second hardway was ridden in the same direction as in the 08 LA-B-V......

Are you talking about the sandy wash before Husky, but after petroglyphs?

That was some pretty deep sand... i wouldn't have wanted to be on Grant's bike for that section, especially given his tire choice...

assuming "my" group did the other section you were talking about, we also got in another sandy wash that was about as tough as the first one.

the good thing about both those washes was, that, even if you biffed (did anybody? :spiteful: ) it looked like a soft landing.

When i think of hardways, I think of something like heart attack... IF you biff, it could hurt...

Not long after the dry (almost dry) lake bed there was a long uphill with fist sized rocks on it, about 3 miles after that there was a track on the gps that made a 90 degree right turn, went about 100 yards and made a 90 degree left hand turn into a wash that was full of loose sand and boulders, this is where the red track started. Appx location is N35 21.654 W 117 31.087. Very few soft landings in this wash. You guys didn't go there as there were no tracks in the wash ahead of me. After going to a dead end and turning around, I think I found where the trail dropped into it. By that time many were running low on gas and many in the group didn't look like they were up for any exploring. Personally I like trying to find ways through the nasty technical stuff (I'm a little twisted that way) and doing some exploring. But then I had enough gas for a hundred more miles, was carrying several packages of granola and jerky, and still had 5 cold beers left :spiteful: :rolleyes: .

You had to be zoomed in to like 800' to even see where the tracks were. :o Ken

Please mark me down for a shirt.

Thanks.

Wayne

Bikeslut

Please include me in your shirt order. As a short guy I tell my wife I wear a Medium but a Large doesn't show my midsection so much. Thanks.

Don

the shirt order is not a sure thing yet... I got a quote for a different shirt that was too good to be true.. I did confirm that price, but have since changed the specs...

I will start a new thread when I get a firm quote.

Hey guys

since i am the webmaster of dan walsh racing, i decide to put us on the home page with a littel write up....

http://www.danwalshracing.com/

btw a shirt would be cool...

Hey friend you can post my mug anywhere you want... cept Americas Most

Wanted

Hey did any other groups find any B1 aircraft remains?

I believe it was Bikeslut & Tmtno who found pieces of the wreckage.

It's hard to believe with the environment codes and >25 years passed that these pieces were not removed. :spiteful:

There was some aircraft grade aluminum spars, magnesium sheets, bearings, aluminum hoses and other parts.

Did anyone snap a picture of the remains? Please, please don't post any from the B1. The pictures may be top secret, copyrighted, contain valuable IP and do not have the permission of the owner(the US Air Force). :rolleyes:

Vintage Huskys

DSC01212.jpg

DSC01209.jpg

Just in case anyone is curious about the Husky monument -

This is my 79 390 WR I had hoped to ride it but couldn't because we needed plated bikes.

The Husky planted at the monument is a 78 390 OR. My brother raced that bike for 10 years before being picked up by Suzuki. I had to hide his Husky at my house in Escondido for him because they didn't want him seen riding anything but a Suzuki RM. I rode the 79 390 and 250. I still ride both for enjoyment. The other Husky is a 79 390 WR automatic transmission. Fast bike but very spooky to ride. No clutch and it shifted when it wanted to. If anyone would like to try one out just ask me when you see me in the desert. I got Joliet on one in my yard a few weeks ago.

Don

even if you biffed (did anybody? :spiteful: ) it looked like a soft landing.

If your front wheel ends up on a side wall at a 90 degree angle, elevated about 2 feet above the original surface height, is that a "biff"????? :rolleyes:

even if you biffed (did anybody? :spiteful: ) it looked like a soft landing.

If your front wheel ends up on a side wall at a 90 degree angle, elevated about 2 feet above the original surface height, is that a "biff"????? :)

NO!! :o

we call that an ugly save...

and somebody probably saw me do about the same thing in the last sandy wash... :rolleyes: ... wait... were you talking about me :) ... i assumed you were talking about you...

yeah; in that wash, i glanced over my shoulder, and promptly made a "right turn clyde"... right in to the river bank...

and I didn't carry my protractor, so I can't really say if the angle was 90 or greater. So, no, I didn't biff at any point.

Nuh-uh.

I suppose it's all a matter of degrees...

p

even if you biffed (did anybody? :lol: ) it looked like a soft landing.

If your front wheel ends up on a side wall at a 90 degree angle, elevated about 2 feet above the original surface height, is that a "biff"????? :lol:

NO!! :)

we call that an ugly save...

wait... were you talking about me :o ... i assumed you were talking about you...

Nope, not u, me....clock one "ugly save" for me. I figured FN saw me examining the wall for petraglyphs (sp). There weren't any BTW. Good to know I'm in good company though... :)

I noticed at the gas stop my odometer was reading around a mile more than most. I am guessing I logged that extra mile in that sand wash flopping around from side to side like an Albacore on the deck of a cattle boat!

Well just remember, that odometer runs off the FRONT tire :lol:

I think I am the only one on our group to actually do anything but just tip over while stopped. It was a low speed washout on one of the rocky sections

I think I am the only one on our group to actually do anything but just tip over while stopped. It was a low speed washout on one of the rocky sections

You were not the only one Jay. I did it while stopped sideways on a steep incline at Red Mountain. My short leg couldn't reach the ground on the low side. I fell over sideways taking Blind with me.

Don

Well just remember, that odometer runs off the FRONT tire :lol:

oh yeah, that means my back tire probably logged a mile and a half.

Add my name to the list... got led a bad wash bye the gps guys , got turned around and hit a rock and plopped over trapping my foot... who was that masked man who helped me? thanks , now I get to buy aftermarket radiator guards ..FINALLY..To all the BTW group I had a great time. and if I cut anyone off ...me bad