Erick

Cold Weather Gear

This coming up 1/10 ride has me scrambling for some cold weather gear. I've seen a few posts loosely going over what folks use on the cold, possibly rainy rides. I think a thread that breaks it down to each item would be good for assisting the less experienced cold weather riders in making some decisons. Nothing like being cold and miserable AND having your riding buddies comfortable and laughing at your rediculous gear.

This is assuming morning temps in the 20 degree to 30 degree range and going to 50's to 60's mid day. Typical unpredictable high desert weather.

I'll start from the top:

Head -

Goggles -

Neck -

Jacket -

Under the jacket -

Gloves -

Pants -

Under pants -

Boots -

Socks -

Rain gear -

Here's where I am with my gear:

As with any activity where sweat or water is a factor, stay away from cotton at all cost, only wicking fabric

Head - Moto type helmet, microfleece bacalava

Goggles - anything to look out for?

Neck - ??? (my bacalava covers my neck)

Jacket - MSR Trans Jak, XXL so I can go over my Thor Impact Rig

Under the jacket - under armour long sleeve, impact rig, jersey. Anything else reccomended?

Gloves - AXO neopreme gloves (pack moto gloves if it gets warm)

Pants - What are people wearing? I've had good luck with microfleece tights under moto pants in the cold. Never dealt with long rides in rain though.

Under pants - under armour, microfleece tights, ??

Boots - any special considerations when wearing in boot pants? I'm 6'6", the over boot pants typically look like knickers on me.

Socks - wool socks, skiing socks? Other technical fabric sock? The under armour sock looks good...

Rain gear - does your riding gear typically block rain, scotch guard or do you carry a vinyl coverall type rain suit?

Cold weather is one thing, Cold and wet is another. I found that light weight snowboard pants are very good for the riding in the cold wet weather. Water proof, wind proof, and still flexible enough for riding. The pants can be tucked in to the boots or snapped tight over the boot. I throw them in the back pack when ever I think I might get caught out after dark. They have saved my beacon more than once!

Balaclava (Neck Gator)

Big Gloves

Heated Grips

$20 Rain suit from Cycle Gear

Extra socks in the back pack

I just wear my REI E1 element snowboarding jacket over my jersey/661 pressure suit. If its really gold I will throw poly pro underneath both pants and shirt since I can always open the jacket vents.

Pants wise I have not worn an extra layer of waterproof but snowboarding pants is what I used commuting in Norway in 40degree weather sometimes in the rain just over my jeans and the polypro etc with my hiking boots.

Ill probably wear motosocks, but bring both my cycling wool short socks and a big fat pair of hunting type socks just in case.

I need the Baclava thing I do have a scarf but not sure its enough for with the moto helmet. does it impact your breathing?

Gloves I have street riding gloves, moto gloves, and snowboarding gloves but I am not sure if the big warm ones would feel wierd for riding

I need to try some of that Underarmor underpants too I hear it helps a lot with butt fatigue

Worst bit for me goggles wise is my eyeglasses fog up all the time inside the goggles

you guys need to make up your freaking minds... you have the OTHER post about how FUN this will be...

and THIS post talking about how COLD it will be...

(Laurie is up for a promotion RIGHT NOW, and I will NOT be asking to go until she hears... then a couple days of celebrating or consoling, THEN I will ask)

I need the Baclava thing I do have a scarf but not sure its enough for with the moto helmet. does it impact your breathing?

I need to try some of that Underarmor underpants too I hear it helps a lot with butt fatigue

The scarf isn't gonna cut it......you'll want a ~$20 balaclava to pull up under your goggles to protect your cheeks/nose from the cold.......regarding your other cheeks, STAND UP...A LOT

you guys need to make up your freaking minds... you have the OTHER post about how FUN this will be...

and THIS post talking about how COLD it will be...

(Laurie is up for a promotion RIGHT NOW, and I will NOT be asking to go until she hears... then a couple days of celebrating or consoling, THEN I will ask)

The way I see it, we're baselining all our collective knowledge as a result of the 1/10 ride. A trail etiquite post, a Cold Weather Gear post. What more do you need for a November - March timeframe ride? Maybe a post where everyone describes their method for getting it through their significant other. :angry: I'm sure there's a wealth of info on that around here as well.

Unless, of course, you're "living the dream" like someone else bragged about in a post a day or so ago...

I have ridden in snow and ice both here and in Washington State. I just wear a regular dirt helmet and then long handled underwear and some kind of Polartec 300 fleece pants and jacket. I have a turtleneck lightweight fleece shirt between the undershirt and the jacket. Then a Thor Ride jacket and pant set over the top of everything, regular MX boots with heavy wool socks and liner socks. I wear Fox Thermal Paws (or are they called Polar Paws now?). I haven't spent too much time riding fast enough to need a face cover yet. Wearing lots of layers means that you can adjust the amount of layers that you need in a given situation, and fleece garments wick moisture away from your body and inner layers of clothing to help keep you from feeling clammy.

When it rains like crazy, I just break out the coated nylon rainsuit.

The scarf isn't gonna cut it......you'll want a ~$20 balaclava to pull up under your goggles to protect your cheeks/nose from the cold.......regarding your other cheeks, STAND UP...A LOT

I am trying to stand a lot. But I get fatigued and I think I might need taller bars for proper position. I have a hard time finding the front back balance while standing so my arms dont wear out

I have a hard time finding the front back balance while standing so my arms dont wear out

Regardless of whether you're sitting or standing, try to "feel/steer" the bike from the feet up not the head down......read it again, "feel/steer from the feet up, not the head down".....when I start feeling fatigued I repeat the mantra........just saying it/thinking it relaxes my upper body.....

Try to relax and stay neutral when standing in the flats.....lean forward a tad heading up......hang the ass back a tad heading down......

(1) Stay active on your pegs, (2) pinch your knee(s) into your gas tank when appropriate, (3) shift your ass/weight around on the seat, or above the seat, as appropriate.....if you can focus on those three things in the order presented (feet/knees/ass) it'll allow you to loosen up/relax above the waist......the natural result/affect will be a lighter grip on the bars which will translate into less tension running through your forearms/shoulders/neck/back......and your arms won't wear out quite as fast ;)

If you surf, or used to before you got too fat, I found on the PV snow ride that an upper neoprene vest can come in handy. It was a last minute selection as it was hanging in my garage but worked well.

If it gets wet, it still works.

Neoprene is stretchy :blink:

What are these?

post-1047-1229979077_thumb.jpg

the mits are ok till you go down, then they collect everything and become a royal pain, especially if it is wet