paulmbowers

Bio Rocks!

First: Yes, I know about No-Toil, AKA NotOil. And yes I prefer Macs to PCs and yes, I prefer Canon over Nikon, and Ford trucks over Chevy, and Cabernet Franc to Merlot. Just to eliminate the internet-sucking controversies.

But splitting off from a ktmtalk thread, I think BioDiesel is the absolute best air filter cleaning solvent I've ever used. Buy it at Pearson Fuels on ECB.

Stuff works great.

fn

you say "solvent", not oil... So you use the biodiesel to clean the old oil and dirt out of your filter...

What do you oil your filter with? Use rim grease?

What's the best tire? What kind of motor oil? I hear Rotella is good...

I've heard the DRZ has a weak power band: recommend a replacement?

Ok those last few questions were a joke... will biodiesel clean products like UniFilter oil and No_toil (which IS a toil by the way)

And you prefer this why?

as for the rest... creative types do like macs... camera types are just weirdos... ford IS better than Chevy... and I don't really follow French politics, so i don't know who either of those two guys (girls??) are

the ktm talk reference is a post started by racerbill.

he was talking about it over at my house a couple weeks ago so I said let's look at my 2 bikes my 300exc-450exc which I use no-toil on, the beef with no-toil is it lets a fine dust pass by so we pulled both air cleaners and wiped the inner box.NO DUST. and if you know me i'm no clean freak. I'm sticking with it for the ease factor of no chems plus we proved it works.

Screw the environment (in this particular instance).....I think No-Toil blows.......major/sticky hassle.....especially if you're out in BFE without their "special sauce" to clean up the filter/your hands......I'd rather just use some (any brand) foam filter cleaner or, in pinch, some gasoline and be done with the cleaning of the filter in seconds flat.....apply some filter oil/grease.....and you're good to go.....

Use rim grease?

Now this seems like an awfully personal question. Or is it just me?

I use the blue stuff- I think it's Maxima. Yes, I "use rim grease". And the reason I don't use NotOil is that I told CAFLASH, my motor builder master that I wouldn't. And I meant what I said, and I said what I meant, because FakeName is dependable, 100%.

Yes, dip it in dirty, pull it out clean, almost. It is a solvent for the air filter slimy tacky stuff, but does not attack the foam or it's glue.

Screw the environment (in this particular instance).....I think No-Toil blows.......major/sticky hassle.....especially if you're out in BFE without their "special sauce" to clean up the filter/your hands......I'd rather just use some (any brand) foam filter cleaner or, in pinch, some gasoline and be done with the cleaning of the filter in seconds flat.....apply some filter oil/grease.....and you're good to go.....

ditto,

bel ray or maxima filter oil and gas for cleaner.

VERY nice paraphrase fn, VERY nice!!

and i do notice a proclivity towards older cartoons, which i also appreciate immensely. :D

whew, used up 2 of my 25 cent words today!!!!

Blind :D

what are the implications to a septic system with BioDiesel, Horton?

It is one of the reasons I use NoToil on my DRZ, but not my XRL (less cleaning of the XRL)

I clean the DRZ filter every ride (I should try riding up front now and then), and don't want to jack up the septic system.

I actually HATE dealing with it, but, like Ozzy said, nothing measurable gets past my air filter. OUt in the desert, it's a bear.

Horton collects his BioDiesel with his used motor oil and takes it all to Kragen, thus avoiding polluting this tiny dust speck of a planet.

We are here!

We are here!

Update: It might be a coincidence, but the last two filters I've cleaned fell apart at the seams. They were both old filters, but I'll be watching if there's evidence of glue attack.

I use NoToil on my DRZ, but not my XRL (less cleaning of the XRL)

I clean the DRZ filter every ride (I should try riding up front now and then), and don't want to jack up the septic system.

I actually HATE dealing with it, but, like Ozzy said, nothing measurable gets past my air filter. OUt in the desert, it's a bear.

OK, I just looked at my air filter for the first time (after 11 months). Yuck!! The manual says to clean it with a "non-flammable cleaning solvent". Having no idea what that was, I called the Suzuki dealer service department and they said No-Toil or Maxima filter cleaner. And they said, "just don't use gasoline or carburator cleaner". Of course, those were the only two things I have handy. But, I wouldn't have any way of getting rid of the dirty gasoline anyway.

I looked at the No-Toil web site and I have a question: does their cleaner also work on whatever kind of oil the factory put on my filter, or just on the No-Toil filter oil? Do all of the motorcycle dealers carry these products, or is there a special place I have to go to?

Steve

On a separate note, I keep seeing references to BFE. What does the "E" stand for?

as for the rest... creative types do like macs... camera types are just weirdos... ford IS better than Chevy... and I don't really follow French politics, so i don't know who either of those two guys (girls??) are

That was funny!!!

I think they are girls...

OK, I just looked at my air filter for the first time (after 11 months). Yuck!! The manual says to clean it with a "non-flammable cleaning solvent". Having no idea what that was, I called the Suzuki dealer service department and they said No-Toil or Maxima filter cleaner. And they said, "just don't use gasoline or carburator cleaner". Of course, those were the only two things I have handy. But, I wouldn't have any way of getting rid of the dirty gasoline anyway.

I looked at the No-Toil web site and I have a question: does their cleaner also work on whatever kind of oil the factory put on my filter, or just on the No-Toil filter oil? Do all of the motorcycle dealers carry these products, or is there a special place I have to go to?

Steve

On a separate note, I keep seeing references to BFE. What does the "E" stand for?

Would not simple green or another degreaser work?

OK, I just looked at my air filter for the first time (after 11 months). Yuck!! Let me ask again, the following question.

Steve

On a separate note, I keep seeing references to BFE. Does "E" really stand for Egypt? As in "a lot of sand"? Or is it an inside joke?

NotOil cleaner is intended for their oil only; and pretty much nothing else works on it...

Yes, its Egypt... As is " out in the middle of nowhere" to ethno-centric westerners. Like its not among the original sites of civilization, and we mock it as BFE!!! I LOVE America... Starbucks! Democrats! Bed, bath and beyond! Wax lips!

NotOil cleaner is intended for their oil only; and pretty much nothing else works on it...

Yes, its Egypt... As is " out in the middle of nowhere" to ethno-centric westerners. Like its not among the original sites of civilization, and we mock it as BFE!!! I LOVE America... Starbucks! Democrats! Bed, bath and beyond! Wax lips!

I've always said, "If you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, keep going, Barstow is just ahead."

OK, to summarize, I need to buy Maxima or similar filter cleaner to clean my filter. Then I can switch to the No-Toil system. Thanks.

Steve

IF you are committing to the NotOil system, yes... You need to clean out the other oil/dirt first