I don't have any photos from this season's ride. So I'll just give the hard data and a few pics that I haven't shared from the old batch.

Day 1

Total Mileage: 160

Travel Time: 7 hours 5 minutes

Started at my house in Clairemont and rode the 20 miles to Silver Strand State Park. After meeting waynebaigent who oddly goes by the same name in person only just Wayne for short. We headed off for the first fuel stop of the day at Otay Mesa. From there it was a just a short ride to the South End of Otay Truck Trail for the beginning of our dirt adventure. I've been eyeballing a shortcut for awhile and since we were all willing I gave it a shot, what the heck. We all failed on the same hill, much steeper and rockier than expected so there we were 5 mins in the dirt and all three bikes and riders taking a sunbath. :P SO much for the shortcut. :) We came upon a great deal of construction on the Ridge Road that I'll discuss in detail elsewhere.

It was a pristine morning and we stopped a number of times throughout the day to just enjoy the seamingly endless views. More time on a ride means more time to enjoy the smaller details that make adventure rides like this so enjoyable.

We stopped in Tecate for lunch and Gas, only 34 miles, and then got onto the Border Fence road for a few high speed tests of our scooters. We got off the border road in the Boulevard area and then on the dirt again near Jacumba. A short street ride later we were on the wagon trail to Mountain Springs to meet I-8 and then down to the desert floor.

We stopped again for gas in Occotillo for the little KLX (60 miles) and then hot footed it south toward the border where we joined a big wash, a border road, a rocky sandy trail, a little single track, and finally we were back on the road to El Centro for the evening.

Day 2

Total Mileage: 113 miles

Travel Time: 7 hours 15 minutes

This ride starts with a perfect warm up for the rest of the day. Riding through the farmland of the Imperial Valley along the All American canal. Then a faast rip down a fun powerline road that gets sandyer as you get closer to the dunes. With the new tracks its just some fun dune riding East and then a few dirt roads to winterhaven for gas and lunch. 57 miles from Calexico to Winterhaven.

Now the fun part starts, we get off into the mine areas and first up for our enjoyment is All American Girl mine. A now abandoned gold mine(?) that sure make for lots of fun technical rocky riding. We ran into a few other riders out there, probably hoping to score some leftover gold :D or just out riding like us.

After the mine we were at the split to go directly to Yuma for the hotel or go to Picacho Park for camping. Well it was really early so we decided to go to the river for a bit and enjoy it before going to Yuma for the night.

Day 3

Total Mileage: 252 miles

Travel Time: 11 hours (for me to get home, individual results may vary)

We were up with the sun to get started on a long ride home. A quick check of the TV showed great temps through the desert, but a red flag warning, shite :blink: This is gonna suck.

Well we gassed up in Yuma for the long ride to Brawley. We went back up to and through Picacho Rd and kept going North along the River and took a bunch of 4WD roads out of the park and towards Ogilby. We crossed Ogilby Rd and made our way toward Glamis. While riding the edge of the Dunes along 78 we got lit up by the local sheriff. He tells us we need to have permits and a flag. All news to me, I understand the flag thing, but unsure about the permits. He wasn't answering questions, just telling us about what we need and what a great guy he is for not citing us. He was nice for that, but I think he just didn't want to stand in the sandstorm and write us all tickets. This may pose a problem for future "river" rides. Anybody know if street licensed vehicles need the permits?

So anyway we got off to Brawley and out of the sandstorm along a really kickass secret singletrack trail. Not illegal it runs right along a long chain of "limited use area" signs, but it is almost overgrown. Except for the few hundred people that saw us from the road I don't think anybody knows about it.

After gassing up in Brawley, 90 miles and only 4 hours later, we decided to keep going to Occotillo for lunch. The central valley was nice and clear, windy but little dust. As we neared Superstition it just got ugly. As ShockandAwe's videos depict, visibility was sometimes as little as 50 feet :D and the sand was getting in the goggles and peppering the skin off our noses and chins. Don't dare open your mouth to breath! B)

The sandstorm stopped near the tin shack and we motored on through to Plaster city and then to our lunch stop.

Ken decided he'd had enough and bailed out in I-8. It was up to Wayne and I to carry the flag home. We rode some classic Desert Dash routes, Dos Cabazas, Canyon Sin Nombre and then Oriflamme to Banner Grade and then home. The rain started at Butterfield Ranch and pretty much soaked us all the way to Santa Ysabel. Thankfully there wasn't much rain after that, just a long cold soaking wet ride home.

Total trip mileage: 525 miles

Much thanks to Joliet and Wayne for joining me on this ride. I had a great time, the Husky ran great, but what the hell is up with that Chinese kickstand? I stopped on the road into the campground to pick up a board with nails in it and when I turn back, the bike it's laying on the ground. At first I thought it was that crappy spring loaded POS that fell again, but the weld at the top of the kickstand broke. I shake my head in disgust. Otherwise great time, I wish I had some pictures to share but unfotunately my camera broke in the Sierras.

Enjoy the pizza and brew and we'll be looking forward to hearing more about it. Was it the kickstand on your loaner?

Cheep Husky, maybe you should have kept your Honda. At least it didn’t break on you. :)

Just joking glad everyone may it back OK. B)

Looking forward to reading the ride report. About the ride not the relaxation. :blink:

I will post some pics tomorrow, kind of beat today. I sallied out on the last of the dirt and bailed after lunch at Ocotillo. Only to hit sleet and rain much of the ride back on the 8.

I did stop at Pine Valley to see if anyone was riding today(2ish).

Got back to Jon's house and my ramp was locked in his garage, so for my last superhuman feat of the weekend I loaded the DRZ into the back of the truck by myself with no ramp.

Just over 500 miles for me, the DRZ adventure was sweet, the only thing I will add is a pair of padded shorts :blink: . Thanks Jon for a great weekend, it was great riding with Wayne to. B) Ken

So you rode the DRZ with the new Tractionator on it?

So far I have a very good impression of it. I think it has more traction in most situations than my Terraflex.

This is the most highway miles I have ever put on a knobbie, most of them at 70ish mph. 500 miles on it, looks like I have about 3/4 life left on the tire with no signs of chunking. :) Ken

Here we are at the beach, introduced ourselves to Wayne, snapped a couple of pics and off we go.

PB070049.jpg

PB070051.jpg

We started up Otay and decided to do a shortcut to save a few miles. We hadn't been in the dirt 5 minutes and all 3 of us were on the ground at the same time :):) . My left engine case landed on the sharp pointy rock you see on the other side behind my rear tire. Ripped the case saver off but saved the case from almost certain destruction. Would have been a shame to end the ride 5 minutes into the dirt.

PB070052.jpg

PB070053.jpg

PB070054.jpg

Some views along the way.

PB070057.jpg

PB070058.jpg

PB070059.jpg

PB080062.jpg

PB080065.jpg

The trail was a little overgrown here, you can see Wayne comming out of the tall stuff behind me.

PB080069.jpg

PB080070.jpg

In the distance you can see Jon comming down the dunes, not a problem for him or the Husky.

PB080073.jpg

Jon and Wayne riding the short bus B) .

PB080074.jpg

American Girl Mine.

PB080075.jpg

PB080077.jpg

It was very senic on the way to the river.

PB080078.jpg

PB080079.jpg

PB080080.jpg

We made it to the river. A fine gentleman took pity on us and shared his cold beer, one of the best I ever tasted :D .

PB080083.jpg

Wayne's new 250 did much better than I had imagined, must have had something to do with the rider.

PB070060.jpg

It's only shortcomming seemed to be the 2 gallon tank.

PB090086.jpg

Some wild burro's.

PB090084.jpg

Later, :) Ken

Nice photos, it looks like it was a fun ride for everyone. Next time......

Looks like another nice little adventure......you guys need to take more action shots ! :)

I still want to do this ride sometime......I'm sure sometime we can get another group to do it.

Any more pix ?

How many miles each day, where'd you stay each night, did you ride back to SD ?? What was the route back ?

Great pics Ken, I'm still working on getting my tired beatin' ass to do a write-up. Maybe after I have a good hearty lunch of carnitas.

I'll include a few details including mileages and the route as well.

Jon

Finally got a ride report done. I have a few more details and insights to share that will come in later posts.

Jon

Guest Wayne Baigent

Great photos Ken :lol:

Looks like a nice leisurly cruise in the sun.

It's a bit hard to take a photo when your blasting through the dunes with 50 ft of visability :lol: getting sand blasted in the face trying like hell not to loose sight of the person in front of you.

Crazy but way fun

All in a normal day out for Jon

Jon, thanks again for all the effort you put into organizing it. My first adventure with the SDAR was a goodie.

Kiwi Wayne

Great photos Ken :lol:

Looks like a nice leisurly cruise in the sun.

It's a bit hard to take a photo when your blasting through the dunes with 50 ft of visability :lol: getting sand blasted in the face trying like hell not to loose sight of the person in front of you.

Crazy but way fun

All in a normal day out for Jon

Jon, thanks again for all the effort you put into organizing it. My first adventure with the SDAR was a goodie.

Kiwi Wayne

Enjoyed the photos Ken

Don

Thanks for the write-up Jon and the pics Ken.

Hmm so you think the tire is 25% gone from 500 miles? is 2k miles good life for a rear? You were not that much on the highway with it either? Just wondering since if I get them Ill do 60 miles a day on the street with them as well. Kelly quoted me a good price tho 137 shipped for the front and rear

Glad you guys made it without any problems. Looks like the husky is missing a plate? The american girl mine looks radioactive in that photo.

Glad you guys made it without any problems. Looks like the husky is missing a plate?

Yeah the Husky is missing a plate. :D But I guess it is alright because it also looks like Jon is plated. :D

Glad you guys made it without any problems. Looks like the husky is missing a plate?

Yeah the Husky is missing a plate. :D But I guess it is alright because it also looks like Jon is plated. :D

he had to do this on another ride... must be hard on rear fenders.... er... I mean... never mind :D

Wayne did a real bang-up job keeping up with the bigger bikes on this ride. Ken and I (and maybe Wayne too) were both really suprised by how well the little bike did. We also found that the KLX and the TE were both within 0.2 gallons at each fill up. :D It was suprising that a 250cc and 570cc bike would see almost identical fuel consumption. I think it was just that Wayne had to ride with the throttle wide open through many of the washes and even the street ride into Brawley with the 40mph headwind.

As far as the Te goes, I've found it profound to ride a bike that the suspension clickers actually do something. The XR I just set them as hard as they could go and just tried to keep it from bottoming. It made for a Cadillac smooth ride, but sucked for anything else. It's also a breath of fresh air to be able to jump and not feel like all the parts are gonna fall off the bike when it hits the gound. The seat left me with an outrageous case of monkey butt. I heard of cycling shorts helping but I found it to be much worse and never wore them after the first day. So many other thoughts to share on the 610, the torque isn't as deep as the XR but then being 74cc down on size doesn't help. Although in any situation that the bike was running out of steam I found salvation was just a downshift away and away it would go and just keep pulling all the way to redline. Damn nice bike, if I could just decide between the Husky and that other gourgeous Italian bike the Aprilia RXV 5.5. Tough decisions.

Is the aprilia for sale as street legal here? So both the 610 and the 250 had 2 gallon tanks?

Is the aprilia for sale as street legal here? So both the 610 and the 250 had 2 gallon tanks?

The Aprilia was 50 state legal for 08 and I think 07. I know it wasn't for 06.

The 610 has a 3+ gal tank. At each fill up Wayne would pump in 1.2, 1.4 and I was pumping in 1.4, 1.6 and at one refill we pumped the same quantity of fuel into the tanks. What I'm getting at is smaller engines don't always provide better economy and certainly nowhere near in total power available. I also had the 610 go 110 miles of mixed riding on 2.6 gallons. Mixed with deep sand, slow technical rocks, hills, interstate, WFO fire roads, etc. but roughly 80 percent off road miles on that leg.

Ah I see of course you would top off the bigger bikes when the little one needed fuel. As far as I am aware I get 50-60mpg reliably on my bike, 60 when doing freeway and city, and 50-55 with mixed and off road and I would be surprised if the 610 was achieving that high of mpg numbers.

Having not had my bike on a similar jaunt of more hardcore riding and sand I wouldn't know how it would compare