Sign in to follow this  
paulmbowers

Amazing photographs

Very very impressive.

ok, back to putting the bike together...

Sigh, simpler days that in certain ways were more wonderful, like wide open riding areas before enviro-nazis put a stop to everything. Plain folks enjoying what were REAL adventures on those old sleds they dared ride and keep running. Some of the days were before my time and some of them weren't, but they all looked great. The real golden days of off roading. :drinks:

Ya know, I dont mind saying that alot of those photos brought tears to my eyes.

As a very young kid, i remember being too young to go riding with my older brothers. But I swear they were in those photos. Thank you for posting that thread, being the youngest of 7boys and only having me and my brother left, it sure was cool checking out all those photos.

Noticed the one thing every rider had on? Boots, No tennis shoes or flip flops, leather boots..

Seeing that Can Am in color made it like yesterday when one of those bike fell on me as i sat on top in the garage. I laid under that bike for 3hours before my brothers got home to get it off me, man did I get yelled at for that one...

:drinks:

I'm just amazed. Click on the button at the top that says "info on" for details. But these images are amazing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bcgreeneiv/se...0755463552/show

Great find. I hate to admit it but that was my generation. I graduated from high school in 1960. I had a Triumph and a Honda 305 Scrambler back then. Even before my Husqvarna days. Can't help missing the wide open desert.

Don

There really is something about that collection- as a photographer and motorcycle-boy, the appeal is strong. The photographer was/is talented. While they are mostly snapshots, they are artfully well-composed. Remember, the cameras and film being used during these times are right up there with the technology of the bikes- it was a lot harder to get decent results with those devices. A LOT.

But the collection is much more than that. In the business, we call it "lifestyle" imagery. The mood evoked from the collection, as noted, brings tears. It's not just about the bikes, the people, the time or the nature of the images content- composition, lighting, use of motion and light. It's the powerful combination of all of them, plus the relentless number in the collection. Each image hits like a hammer.

Magnificent.

fn

WOW! Those are such great photos. I hope this guy puts them in a coffe table book. I would buy it!

I noticed one thing in common in most of these photos and it is the ear to ear grin on the riders faces. :drinks: :cray: :lol:

Fakename said it perfectly. I was born into a motorcycling dad, I was the youngest of 3, Raised in Jamul and watching my older brother racing with Bob Engle AKA Metal Twister and they were racing against the 3 Martys,, Tripes, moates and Smith. There was whole families racing like the Wallace family and the Hale family. Jim butts, Phil Wallace, Sunny and Johnny Hale. Living in Jamul we raced Dehesa, 4 corners, Speedway 117. Dirt Dame has some pictures of these places, I saw a picture of the famous drop off at 4 corners that mimi has and I looked for myself in the picture cuz I hung there alot. Racing Carlsbad Raceway is Particularly Hard to talk about because I raced there at least for the Christmas Grand Prix every Year till they closed it. My last race there I was on a street legal XR 650 R, I wasnt there to win, Just having fun with friends and doing wheelies down the straights. :drinks:

Hopefully, in 40 years, our kids will look at pictures from this site, and have the same fond memories!

Good post, Paul!

makes me feel like even more of a wuss knowing they rode what we ride now and more on bikes that were way heavier, way less powered with way worse suspension and everything

Hopefully, in 40 years, our kids will look at pictures from this site, and have the same fond memories!

Good post, Paul!

Hopefully, in forty years, there will still be some kind of "motor" cycles and places to enjoy them left for that generation.

Remember, the cameras and film being used during these times are right up there with the technology of the bikes- it was a lot harder to get decent results with those devices. A LOT.

I have to disagree with that. I could use this Zeiss Ikon (even older than most of the bikes in the photos) and get good results with it in it's wide ranging application. I can't say that I could use the bikes and get good results with riding them. ;):)

100_1221.jpg

Sure. Once you know how to load, #### the shutter, advance the film, (you get 12 or 20 frames!) use a light meter, focus it, understand bellows correction and parallax correction. And a few other basic photo functions. Hand that camera to a 8 year old and let's see what they do with it.

BUT. In the hands of a trained person, sure, you can get excellent results.

Just cant figure out how to get the memory card out of it, or where to plug in the usb cable.... ;)

Sure. Once you know how to load, #### the shutter, advance the film, (you get 12 or 20 frames!) use a light meter, focus it, understand bellows correction and parallax correction. And a few other basic photo functions. Hand that camera to a 8 year old and let's see what they do with it.

BUT. In the hands of a trained person, sure, you can get excellent results.

Just cant figure out how to get the memory card out of it, or where to plug in the usb cable.... ;)

I didn't say it was simple to use. I just said that I could get good results out of it. It is in perfect operating condition and for most daylight situations you won't need a light meter to get decent results, once you get used to the settings. It's the same thing with my Minolta. I know the type of light meter that's built into it doesn't really factor in a lot of information about certain lighting situations, but after using the camera for a while, you know how to compensate the f stops to get what you want, or if you are looking for something specific and you can afford the extra time, you can go in close and meter a particular area as though you were using a separate meter. I love all the new stuff that's out and how you can just blow shots without wasting film and all the programs available to edit and re-do photos, (people don't even have to be as good at composing and taking shots today. Back in the old days, you had to make each shot count.) but I can't afford any of that these days. I have a nice entry level D40 SLR digital that would do a better job on the trail for me, but it is bulky and probably more fragile than the Kodak (or at least more expensive to replace!)

I wouldn't want my TE or most all of my bikes to be put in the hands of somebody inexperienced either!

I couldn't ride an old bike on a lot of the trails I ride today. I remember how great I thought my 1974 CR125 Elsinore handled back in the day. In the eighties, I was lamenting over the fact that I didn't save the bike and keep it around. A friend overheard me and gave me a 1974 CR that had been sitting next to his garden shed for 13 years. I restored it from top to bottom and took it for it's first ride. Yuck....it had no brakes, suspension or powerband. It also didn't handle very well at all. I sold it and learned my lesson about old dirt bikes; sometimes memories are better left as just memories.

At least the Ikon won't injure me or leave me stranded somewhere! :):)

Ken, I too myself had a feeling A Hodaka photo would show up at some point in the show and was glad to see them. The big thumper s were a little before the time I started riding but I bet they were a blast. I just finished reading Monkey Butt by Super Hunky and had allot to do about that time period and wide open riding spaces.

Kelly