When I was growing up in Montana, I used to head out on my Motorcycle for the weekend with my rifle, canteen and sleeping bag. I mean if you girls want to make it a real adventure, don't take any food, we live off the land. No back pack or sleeping bags, we can weave baskets out of willow branches to carry our stuff in. :) :dance3: :lol:

IF there is going to be guns and basket weaving, IM IN!

Guest Hammerin Hammon

When I was growing up in Montana, I used to head out on my Motorcycle for the weekend with my rifle, canteen and sleeping bag. I mean if you girls want to make it a real adventure, don't take any food, we live off the land. No back pack or sleeping bags, we can weave baskets out of willow branches to carry our stuff in. :dance3: :party::lol:

IF there is going to be guns and basket weaving, IM IN!

PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLLS! :)

I may be in, gotta check with the Cruise Director. :lol: My only problem (well, not my only problem but the only one that's pertinent here anyways) is that I have no luggage for the BRP. I guess I could just strap a duffle on the back, right?

I have no luggage for the BRP. I guess I could just strap a duffle on the back, right?

I use these Wolfman bags with my 620: http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Expedition/ExpSaddleBags.html

They worked well.....easy/waterprooof rollover.....a little daily duct tape here....zip tie there.....and all is well

Dig Dug has used the Dirtbagz: http://www.dbzproducts.com/

Like I said you guys can go to Yuma. My destination is a very nice campground along the colorado river. I'll drop my tent and bag in the soft sand of a wash and "mingle" with the locals at the campground. We had cold beer, tequila and fresh sandwiches back in March. We brought it in from Winterhaven. Brad and I made friends out there and had a nice breakfast before we got on the trails again. I don't think it'd happen this trip, but I didn't plan the route to go from hotel to hotel and wouldn't do it any other way in the future, the river park in BFE is the destination. Like Spaugh said it's one night on a three day ride and it is part of the adventure. Isn't that part of what we call ourselves, SDAR?

Yeti and anyone else considering the ride...Check out the pictures of our packout on the last trip. Tent across the front, sleeping bag in the back. Fenderbags had tools and tubes and a few replacement parts like sparkplugs, masterlinks, a clutch lever, etc. In the backpack I had water, food, one change of clothes, (I washed my first set in El Centro and wore it again on day 2) a few tools that wouldn't fit in the fender bags, phone, wallet, camera and batteries. Overall it wasn't much, like Crawdad said "less is more". Also there are motorcycle shops in El Centro that we could buy parts from if needed. No need for saddlezbags but a bigger federbag or tankbag would be good if you don't want to wear a backpack. It will add to the soreass and backpain after a long day.

I may be in, gotta check with the Cruise Director. :lol: My only problem (well, not my only problem but the only one that's pertinent here anyways) is that I have no luggage for the BRP. I guess I could just strap a duffle on the back, right?

Here's your setup: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390404

While nowhere near enough incentive to make me want to camp, these look like a pretty good solution.

Please take no offense at my personal hatred of camping. I understand and encourage those who enjoy it. I have done it myself on many occasions, but have no wish to repeat the experience. Please notice I will not call anyone names or attempt to belittle your personal choices. We are here to share experiences, and it's nice to do so with mutual respect for our shared and unshared preferences.

Namaste.

fn

While nowhere near enough incentive to make me want to camp, these look like a pretty good solution.

Please take no offense at my personal hatred of camping. I understand and encourage those who enjoy it. I have done it myself on many occasions, but have no wish to repeat the experience. Please notice I will not call anyone names or attempt to belittle your personal choices. We are here to share experiences, and it's nice to do so with mutual respect for our shared and unshared preferences.

Namaste.

fn

FN, those Giantloops seem to be the ticket. I've been eyeing those . . .

Btw, when HondaPilot made his "sallies" and "pansies" remark he was just ribbing friends. It wasn't a serious comment.

Btw, when HondaPilot made his "sallies" and "pansies" remark he was just ribbing friends. It wasn't a serious comment.

Do not be fooled. I have heard such filth pour out of his mouth on more than one occasion. He can be mean and aggressive!

I will decide in a couple of weeks, if I am going to ride into town or camp. Regardless it will be a great adventure. What route do you have planned to get down to the low desert? Was it Spaugh that found a new way, I am curious to hear about it?

I am gearing the DRZ up a couple of teeth on the front, I should be good for about 200 miles fuel range. I was going to lower the suspension with some Kouba Links I bought, but I have heard that the bike will never handle well with them on, so I will give it a try at the stock height. I will have my pelican case attached to the rear rack and will strap a waterproof bag to the top of that, along with my fender bag and number plate bag and Ogio vest, I will be able to carry as much as the DRZ can handle. . :lol: Ken

Jaynen has that on his Yamaha and I checked it out, looks solid, and light. I'm sure he'd recommend it.

I had a set on my XR650L before I sold it. I actually still have the set!!! I was going to sell it, but I've been hanging onto it in anticipation of modifying the mounting system to fit my 450. Or I was going to rig something up on the 950 for when I don't want to run the stock Gobi's and have to put the "Wide Load' signs on it... :lol:

I used it to commute to work every day - perfect for that. I also did some pretty rough off-roading with them on the bike and they handled it perfectly...

They're pretty slick. You can order a set of mounting bars for a second bike and it's a super-easy swap between. I got the larger ones and they have a roll-down, waterproof liner inside.

Man Code of Conduct requires me to call out all sallies and pansies each and every time they act like it.

Even god gets it---->

Do not be fooled. I have heard such filth pour out of his mouth on more than one occasion. He can be mean and aggressive!

Man thats harsh. The next time I leave your broken ass behind.

Maybe I'll consider lifting a chilled glass of Belvedere in your general direction that night.

-Pansie :lol:

I shall certainly return the nod with a tip of my flask of Vizcaya (Although it might be Patron again).

:lol:

Namaste.

fn

that thing looks cool.

I've been looking over the trip package and realized there'll be a few new routes that we'll be riding based on some changes after last season's attempt. No more open dunes, a road that turned out to be a railroad, private property, etc. There shouldn't be any problems with most of the changes as they are in BFE and actually have less sand and more hard dirt riding with less paved roads. Unfortunately, the private property we found resulted in more pavement to ride. We were able to ride through the area last time becase the owner was out there and took pitty on us. In hindsight he was a scruffy hillbilly in an old trailer and was probably scared of us more than we of him. :rolleyes: Nonetheless he is deserving of his peace and I've found a way around his property.

I've also been thinking about the whole camping vs. hoteling debate. More so about what a great time it is spending a three day weekend astride a moto touring our backyard's. The desert is really no place for tent camping from late Nov to early March the overnight lows are just too cold for it to be comfortable. Therefore if this trip has any hope of being done more than 2 or 3 times a year, a hotel friendly route needs to be found. And find one I did. For those that are interested, I'll plan an alternate route that branches off the original route and works it's way toward Yuma and a different part of the CO river. I'll provide a lieutenant with this route and the campers can go one way and the hotelers can go the other.

I am going to camp this trip and anybody else that's interested is very welcome to join me. I've got a score to settle after the tire demons ended our trip prematurely. I must finish the trip as planned before I can do something different. That's just me.

In response to all this saddle bag talk I feel that unless you're camping you really don't need a lot of storage. Field tools, tubes, a few parts and a change or two of undergarments. We'll be very close to major roads, a few towns, and small cities that loads of stuff really isn't needed. There are motorcycle stores in El Centro and Yuma if more parts are needed.

So who's in for sure and who's on the fence? Are you a camper or a hoteler? What's your fuel range like? If it's less than 100 miles you'll want to think good and hard about packing a fuel bottle, maybe two.

Let's try to keep this thread on topic. If you want to discuss anything else not directly related to the planning and execution of this trip, such as shopping for saddle bags, back packs, camping gear, fuel bottles, etc. please start another thread. Thanks, Jon

Jon, I would still like a reservation for 1, for the princess route :lol: . Can't wait. :) Ken

I would, I'd really like to go. And I appreciate the hotel option. But the wife has planned our 10th anniversary getaway in Napa that weekend. Talk about hotels! I could probably buy another bike. A two-smoke, yes the 300.

I'd like to go, but, honestly, it's pretty cool to be married for 10 years and still want to go away with my wife. :lol:

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I would, I'd really like to go. And I appreciate the hotel option. But the wife has planned our 10th anniversary getaway in Napa that weekend. Talk about hotels! I could probably buy another bike. A two-smoke, yes the 300.

I'd like to go, but, honestly, it's pretty cool to be married for 10 years and still want to go away with my wife. :lol:

:):) Is this thread, about being married,2 strokes, or hotels, in Napa.

And your on my a.s

Craig

.Let's try to keep this thread on topic. If you want to discuss anything else not directly related to the planning and execution of this trip, such as shopping for saddle bags, back packs, camping gear, fuel bottles, etc. please start another thread. Thanks, Jon

Jon, I'd love to go but I already promised that I help run chase vehicle for a mountain bike race in Baja. Besides I can’t find my motorcycle! :lol: I hope to make the next time. So am I a Sally or a Pansy or both? :)

I really like the idea of this trip, it's just that I am scheduled to return home a few days before it and I don't think it would go over well with the family. Are there any plans to do it again a few months later? Maybe March timeframe?