Well it's time to get back in the desert. The riding season is beginning and after an unsuccesful initial attempt to complete this incredible ride it is time to plan for the redux.

I am in Aspen, Colorado tonight and will be writing this thread in more detail as the evening progresses.

Rough plan: start in the morning on Friday, possibly at Silver Strand park (or perhaps another beach location) ride Otay, border road, Jacumba, then various trails and Interstate highways to the desert floor. Ride more border road, various sand washes, trails and roads into El Centro for the night. Second day will be more of the same, but add dunes and mining roads then camp at the River. Sunday is the long day in which we'll ride a different route all the way back to San Diego (or wherever you live).

Some of the data from the first "attempt". Day 3 ends in Brawley

Day 1

Silver Strand Beach to El Centro

153 miles travelled, 85 dirt, 68 street

8 hours 45 mins

Distances between fuel stops - 37,60,46

Day 2

El Centro to Picacho State Park

106 miles travelled, 89 dirt, 17 street

9 hours 45 mins

Distances between fuel stops - 69, +

Day 3

Picacho to Premature end in Brawley

71 miles travelled, 56 dirt, 15 street

3 hours

Distance between fuel stops - 103 Winterhaven to Brawley. (Could be less as I've heard there is gas available at the Glamis Beach Store but I didn't see any pumps. Maybe there is in back but the hillbillies in the store scared us enough that we just left. Brawley is 25 miles away and plenty of gas available there.)

From Brawley to Julian is another 130 miles. Gas is available in Ocotillo and then again in Santa Ysabel (Julian station closes very early) My tracks end at the Banner Store and it might actually be another 10 miles to Julian. I'll recheck all the data in the coming weeks.

The routes have been modified after the first ride to clean up the a mess around Boulevard and remove the open dunes riding on day two. This will shorten the day two route slightly but opens up options to play in the dunes or explore other areas between the dunes and Winterhaven.

This is not a beginner ride, you must be comfortable riding on all surfaces. Paved, gravel, dirt, and sand roads, rocks, gravel, sand trails, mixture of rocks and sand or rocky sand with gravel are all covered in varous degrees either by themselves or all at once. The first two days are shorter the last day is very long and a brisk pace must be maintained to make it through to S-2 by sunset.

Rough plan

"Rough" and timeframe is all I need......."in" :lol: (subject to gal-pal veto powers if she already has something planned for us that weekend)

"unsuccessful" ?

I thought you made it to the river?

Or was the "and back" the part where it unraveled?

I'm on the fence about this one... if you guys get together to discuss specifics, maybe I'll be a fly on the wall... and see if I can resist

Jon- you can help me through the rough spots, right?

hey wait, you sold your bike. :lol:

I have a sugar daddy now.

I just hope he lets me "demo" the bike until then.

Ugh. Camp? noooo.

Dang.

We can call them from the motel pool when we spin off on day 2......and ask where/when to meet on day 3 ;):lol:

Ugh. Camp? noooo.

Dang.

We can call them from the motel pool when we spin off on day 2......and ask where/when to meet on day 3 ;):lol:

Ah! A fellow civilized rider! I'm up for spa treatments, and excellent meal with good wine and a good night's sleep. Breakfast with fresh baked croissants, home made granola and fresh blueberries, then throw a leg over the bike and hit it refreshed.

My ancestors gave up sleeping in tents centuries ago. And they had the right idea!

fn

I'm up for spa treatments, and excellent meal with good wine and a good night's sleep. Breakfast with fresh baked croissants, home made granola and fresh blueberries, then throw a leg over the bike and hit it refreshed.

My ancestors gave up sleeping in tents centuries ago. And they had the right idea!

fn

That's what I like out in the wilds; all the comforts of home and more. :lol:

Ugh. Camp? noooo.

Dang.

You sound like....

MY WIFE!!! :lol:

Ugh. Camp? noooo.

Dang.

You sound like....

MY WIFE!!! :D

No wonder you bought such a nice trailer. :lol:;)

Initial post edited with more info

"unsuccessful" ?

I'm on the fence about this one... if you guys get together to discuss specifics, maybe I'll be a fly on the wall... and see if I can resist

I guess the Mission Accomplished banner would go up after we ride to the river AND back to our houses.

If you need help deciding reread this thread. For me there is all the motivation I need.

By "rough spots" do you mean talking Laurie into letting you out of the house for a long weekend or rough spots in the ride?

Hey Jon, I got family stuff that weekend. How about the following weekend? Sorry if I told you I could do it that weekend when we spoke the other day. I just found out granny is coming to town 11/5-11/12 and I need to be there to see her, could be the last time. If you got to work the following week, don't worry about it, enjoy without me.

Ugh. Camp? noooo.

Dang.

You sound like....

MY WIFE!!! :lol:

No wonder you bought such a nice trailer. ;):D

Hehe... Okay.. you weren't supposed to call me out!!! ;)

I think I will be in on this one. I regret missing out last year.

My tired old bones don't do well sleeping on the ground, but I can if I have to (don't know how those old cowboys did it). I would rather pay for a motel or chip in for a chase vehicle towing a big comfy trailer(I know, wuss :lol: ).

I will bring the SPOT and we can link it to the email of someone that can post our locations on the site to see the progress we are, or are not making :) . Ken

The sallies of the group are welcome to find their own hotels in Yuma. They might also be interested in taking a Rhino as you know the motorcycle seats hurt your little tushies after a long day. The pansie boys can meet the men back at the campground at 8AM ready to ride. I'll tell you it's approximately 30 miles from the campground to Yuma, 20 miles of which is a dirt road.

If you think someone might want to drive a bigass trailer 175 miles to the middle of nowhere then down a 20 mile dirtroad for a night. I'd be suprised.

If joilet is going count me in. We have done alot of desert trechory together :lol:

Initial post edited with more info

"unsuccessful" ?

I guess the Mission Accomplished banner would go up after we ride to the river AND back to our houses.

If you need help deciding reread this thread. For me there is all the motivation I need.

jon- which part do you think would be harder for me?

I'll take my chances with Mother Nature... she can kill me, but Laurie can make miserable for the rest of my life

By "rough spots" do you mean talking Laurie into letting you out of the house for a long weekend or rough spots in the ride?

jon- which part do you think would be harder for me?

I'll take my chances with Mother Nature... she can kill me, but Laurie can make miserable for the rest of my life

If Mother Nature kills you on the ride then the misery inflicted by Laurie wouldn't be bad at all. Unfortunately Mother Nature doth not smite individuals too often and therefore your misery could carry on for many years.

Well I think I'd rather deal with Mother Nature too. Good luck with the wife. I'd be glad to buy her a Brownie from Janet's if it'd help.

what a bunch of wimps.

and everyone wonders why hammer talks so much ----. Wheres the adventure in a bed and breakfast and chase truck. Its just one night of camping.

So is the date set in stone??

I guess I'm out if the date is fixed. Good luck ladies.

and everyone wonders why hammer talks so much ----. Wheres the adventure in a bed and breakfast and chase truck. Its just one night of camping.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Sorry Brad, I think we only talked about Oct plans. My Oct weekends are filled and I won't be able to do this again until December and then my schedule may be turned upside down and weekends might be hard to come by for a few months. I'd be glad to go a few more times if you can't make it on this one. It won't be the same without you though :lol:

It's too bad you edited your post, but I'm glad I saved it...

Truer words have never been spoken.

Sorry Brad, I think we only talked about Oct plans. I won't be able to do this again until December and then my schedule may be turned upside down and weekends might be hard to come by for a few months. I'd be glad to go a few more times this season if you can't make it on this one. It won't be the same without you though :lol:

It's too bad you edited your post, but I'm glad I saved it...

ya, I was really looking forward to it. My bike is big bored, new tires and brakes. Ready to RIP.

what a bunch of wimps.

and everyone wonders why hammer talks so much ----. Wheres the adventure in a bed and breakfast and chase truck. Its just one night of camping. Good luck ladies.

I agree, the Adventure is sometimes the ride itself with no dependence on shuttling and/or chase trucks, etc.......Kevin's "Ghostriderz" gameplan.......the Adventure can also be found in checking out the scenery rather than pounding miles just to say "I did it".....and end up camping and/or freezing your ass off (in December)........the same ass that's already sore from the miles you just pounded......I'd generally prefer to locate a place to flop, B.S. with the locals, have a beer.....a cold beer.....

Rule (1) - "less is more"......less SH-T to carry/unpack each night....less needless weight so you can better enjoy THE RIDE :lol: .......which is why I managed to ride for days/many miles from CO. with two soft saddlebags

Rule (2) - Given Rule (1), it's always a good idea to wear/bring something you can sleep in "if you have too"......I always carry an emergency space blanket and an emergency rain poncho in my backpack just in case I'm caught out in BFE......but a tent, sleeping bag, stove, food, book to read, your grandma's cookies, etc. , etc. is just more sh*t/weight piled on my bike and/or back.....not interested (generally speaking)....I'd generally rather end the day a bit short or ride a few more miles so I can enjoy a hot shower/bed/"cold" beer and start the next day with a smile, a hot coffee, and a back that isn't killing me....... it's a nice post ride/pre ride pay-off/reward for my nearly half century old bones :dance3: :)

That being said, there may be certain rides where the destination IS BFE.....then it's a different story/mindset.....

What did I miss? I didn't see any date set for this ride yet. sheesh, I am getting old, I can't even read anymore :party: . (Nevermind, I found the date in the subtitle)

You guys can make all the fun you want, but some day you will be over a half a century old, and you will throw out your sleeping bag on the ground and squeeze out a couple of painful hours of sleep and you will realize that what once was the grand adventure of being able to throw your bedroll down anywhere and sleep like a baby, has become a type of sadistic torture.

When I was growing up in Montana, I used to head out on my Motorcycle for the weekend with my rifle, canteen and sleeping bag. I mean if you girls want to make it a real adventure, don't take any food, we live off the land. No back pack or sleeping bags, we can weave baskets out of willow branches to carry our stuff in. :lol::o:lol:

Yea I am old and like to sleep in comfort. Just don't think that your idea of adventure is the only one out there. Everyone has their own thoughts on what an adventure is. Calling them whimps, whiners or girls(unless of course they are :) ) because their ideas are not the same as yours is probably not the best way to work out the logistics of a trip. I am sure we will find a way to make the adventure enjoyable for everyone. JMHO :dance3: Ken

Guest Hammerin Hammon

what a bunch of wimps.

I guess I'm out if the date is fixed. Good luck ladies.

:dance3: :party::) I am O.K with the distance, Sleeping in a tent, eating dirt, warm beer, just hanging out with a couple of friends.

But can we ride somwhere, with a beach, so I can surf, in the morning. :lol:

I may go if Schwinn & Joliet are in. What about Cheif Gunner?