Crawdaddy

Even LONGER way home....

Great stuff guys. Lets do it again.

May take an even longer detour home next time?……Track Attached

For the GPS challenged:

Same deal as last time initially – (North County Fair Mall (NCFM), Lake Wohlford, Nate Harrison, Palomar East Grade, 76, Hideout)

But, rather than taking Mesa Grande to Black Canyon to Ramona, I’m thinking about doing the following….

76 to 79 (all paved)

79 to S2 (all paved)

S2 to S22 (all paved)

S22 to West end of Grapevine

Grapevine to Jasper

Jasper to S22

S22 to Culp (all paved)

Culp to Jasper

Jasper back over to Grapevine

Grapevine E to 78

78 to Wynola (all paved from this point to Ramona.....that's Ok, it'll be dark by the time we hit 78)

Wynola to 78

78 to Ramona

Grapevine/Jasper/Culp are all big bike friendly......and really fun!

It’s a tad bit more than a third of a KTM 620 EGS-E gas tank (otherwise known as ~130 miles <_<B):) ) , from North County Fair Mall to Ramona following that series of GREEN tracks (there is gas in Julian if you bypass Wynola Rd. or gas in Santa Isabel after ~115 miles)

An alternative, if you’re pinched for time/gas, would be to take the same route from The Hideout that we took the other night (Mesa Grande to Black Canyon to Ramona – DARK MAGENTA tracks)……if you choose that option it’s about 70 miles from NCFM to Ramona or ~85 miles if you loop back down to NCFM on the 78 from Ramona

Outside chance I may take this detour home tomorrow night.....doubtful.....if not, probably ride it next Monday or Tuesday.....ideally, we'd split from NCFM around 4pm.....

Longer_Way_Home_txt.txt

Maybe someday I will have a bigboy bike so I can play with my friends. <_< Ken

Take the DRZ... It'd be perfect for that kind of stuff!!!

I bet it's smoother than Crawdaddy's 620 Adventure and the seat is more comfortable than Schwinn's 690..

Keep us posted......if I'm not working or can get off early, I may join you.

Thanks,

May take an even longer detour home next time?

Outside chance I may take this detour home tomorrow night.....doubtful.....if not, probably ride it next Monday or Tuesday.....ideally, we'd split from NCFM around 4pm.....

I want to do this type of stuff. Riding a motorcycle the long way to and from work. I’ve been practicing doing that all week.

Just Tuesday I was riding the Husky to work out in Otay. I went over by the water park and took the dirt roads through the canyons to get to work. I leave for work a bit early and tryout the different roads / trails to get there. Tuesday I came to a curb that I’ve gone over numerous times before. I thought “what would Hammer do at this curb?” Why he would shoot a bitchin’ wheelie over it and continue the wheelie for the next 3 miles to work.

So I decided to do a small wheelie up over the curb. Did I say “SMALL?” Anyway I stood up, gassed it and pulled back slightly as I reached the curb. Well the front wheel went up over the curb all right. And it kept going up and up and up! I didn’t realize how long that bike is until I saw it standing with the front wheel straight up in the air! Unfortunately I was standing on the bike while it was doing this. It did not stay in this position for too long. I ended up breaking both rear turn signals off of the bike and the big toe on my left foot.

Anyway I can’t go riding the long way home with you until I get my turn signals replaced. I’ll try to do that tomorrow. But I can’t ride on Mondays or Tuesdays because of work. Oh and I need to wait until my bone heals also. <_<

Maybe someday I will have a bigboy bike so I can play with my friends. B) Ken

Take the DRZ... It'd be perfect for that kind of stuff!!!

I bet it's smoother than Crawdaddy's 620 Adventure and the seat is more comfortable than Schwinn's 690..

my seat is not much better than a 2x4 <_<

Maybe I will go up a couple of teeth on the counter sprocket and look for a more comfortable seat for it. I actually have 2 seats now, I could send one to someone to modify for road comfort. It probably has a 200 mile range with the Clark tank, now you really have me thinking.

Maybe I will go up a couple of teeth on the counter sprocket and look for a more comfortable seat for it. I actually have 2 seats now, I could send one to someone to modify for road comfort. It probably has a 200 mile range with the Clark tank, now you really have me thinking.

You might wanna send that extra seat to these guys: Renzaco

Everyone raves about them over at ADVRider.....I may send them my 620 seat.....the downside is they won't be able to help you (or me) out for ~3 months.....you make an appt to send them your seat in ~3 months and they turn it around within a week......

I bet it's smoother than Crawdaddy's 620 Adventure

Gee, that's not too tough of a bridge to cross <_<:)

Oh well, at least it feels like a motorcycle.....it's all part of the.......wait for it....... "Adventure" B)B)

I bet it's smoother than Crawdaddy's 620 Adventure

Gee, that's not too tough of a bridge to cross <_<B)

Oh well, at least it feels like a motorcycle.....it's all part of the.......wait for it....... "Adventure" :)

If you folks do this ride Mon or Tu I would like to join you if you don't mind a vintage guy with vintage bikes. I live about 5 min from North County Fair.

Don

Buy a gel pad and have a local upholstry shop add it into your seat. If there is enough seat tucked under and stapled to the seat pan you dont even have to buy a new cover. When I did this to mine I had them shave the foam a little bit so it was a smooth under the seat cover. Depending on what gel pad you get, you can cut it so that it adds just a llittle width to your seat. It made a world of difference for my seat, and I think I had 70 dollar total into it.

You might wanna send that extra seat to these guys: Renzaco

Everyone raves about them over at ADVRider.....I may send them my 620 seat.....the downside is they won't be able to help you (or me) out for ~3 months.....you make an appt to send them your seat in ~3 months and they turn it around within a week......

I think I would have to sit on one before I spent $350 on a seat for the old DRZ. It is kind of like the newly popular saying "lipstick on a pig" <_<B)

I wonder what kind of windscreen is available for it. I don't want some geeky looking thing, but it would have to be functional enough to keep the pens from blowing out of my pocket protector at speed :)B):) . Ken

Buy a gel pad and have a local upholstry shop add it into your seat. If there is enough seat tucked under and stapled to the seat pan you dont even have to buy a new cover. When I did this to mine I had them shave the foam a little bit so it was a smooth under the seat cover. Depending on what gel pad you get, you can cut it so that it adds just a llittle width to your seat. It made a world of difference for my seat, and I think I had 70 dollar total into it.

Good idea Bum.......the Walmart $16 ATV seat cover isn't a bad low cost option either.....got me back from CO. with some long days in the saddle.......but I doubt you'll find one at a Walmart around here......didn't find'em when I looked at Walmart.com.......I've seen'em online from Cabella's at 3X the price....

100_0383.jpg

May take an even longer detour home next time?

I want to do this type of stuff. Riding a motorcycle the long way to and from work. I’ve been practicing doing that all week.

Just Tuesday I was riding the Husky to work out in Otay. I went over by the water park and took the dirt roads through the canyons to get to work. I leave for work a bit early and tryout the different roads / trails to get there. Tuesday I came to a curb that I’ve gone over numerous times before. I thought “what would Hammer do at this curb?” Why he would shoot a bitchin’ wheelie over it and continue the wheelie for the next 3 miles to work.

So I decided to do a small wheelie up over the curb. Did I say “SMALL?” Anyway I stood up, gassed it and pulled back slightly as I reached the curb. Well the front wheel went up over the curb all right. And it kept going up and up and up! I didn’t realize how long that bike is until I saw it standing with the front wheel straight up in the air! Unfortunately I was standing on the bike while it was doing this. It did not stay in this position for too long. I ended up breaking both rear turn signals off of the bike and the big toe on my left foot.

Anyway I can’t go riding the long way home with you until I get my turn signals replaced. I’ll try to do that tomorrow. But I can’t ride on Mondays or Tuesdays because of work. Oh and I need to wait until my bone heals also. <_<

Bummer, Roger... next time I post a kids or newb ride, tag along... We can walk you through any scenarios you want... last time, I noticed somebody was having problems in the whoops, so I gave some tutelage, then we did 4 passes of the same section, and I gave him pointers each time (not that my DRZ and me are the whoop masters by any stretch)

First two things about wheelies... cover the rear brake, and cover the clutch... heal fast

Good idea Bum.......the Walmart $16 ATV seat cover isn't a bad low cost option either.....got me back from CO. with some long days in the saddle.......but I doubt you'll find one at a Walmart around here......didn't find'em when I looked at Walmart.com.......I've seen'em online from Cabella's at 3X the price....

If they had the item number from walmart they might be able to order one from the local wallyworld. Do you still have your receipt?

Yeah I found other stuff under sports/hunting/atv accessories but not the seat pads.

Bummer, Roger... next time I post a kids or newb ride, tag along... We can walk you through any scenarios you want... last time, I noticed somebody was having problems in the whoops, so I gave some tutelage, then we did 4 passes of the same section, and I gave him pointers each time (not that my DRZ and me are the whoop masters by any stretch)

First two things about wheelies... cover the rear brake, and cover the clutch... heal fast

I’d love to go on the kids / newbee rides. The problem is that I work every other weekend. So I have a 50% chance that I’m working on your rides.

Cover the clutch and rear brake, good advice. I’ll have to think and react faster too. That bike is quick when it wants to be. Anyway I’m getting better on the dirt. Toes are way over rated. All they do is give you balance, help you run and walk, allow you to reach higher (tip toe), shift your gears and stuff like that. I mean who needs them?

The Doctor says I’ll be healed in 6 to 8 weeks. I asked her if I would be able to golf then. She said yes. I said good because I was never able to golf before! B)

By the time I’m healed my KTM 990 should be out of the shop. I took it in for the first service and told them about a small oil leak I had seen. The leak was coming from around the drain plug. When they removed the plug the threads came out. The casting had a defect. Instead of hiding it and putting a helicoil (sp) in they are getting a new case. This of course is on back order. I guess I got one of the new bikes made in India? <_<

Bum that is a great idea. I would like to do something like that for a couple of my bikes. Where do I look for gel pads?

but I doubt you'll find one at a Walmart around here

I found the exact same one at WalMart off Nordahl.. but that was a year or more ago... You just have to keep checking.. they'll get more in.

my seat is not much better than a 2x4 :lol:

I was looking at that. How does it compare to the seat you had on your 525?

Bum that is a great idea. I would like to do something like that for a couple of my bikes. Where do I look for gel pads?

The cheapest place I found was on ebay. People age getting rid of used ones all the time. You really dont care about the covers, so you can get them cheap. Ebay under "gel pad".

Pyro had the same Walmart seat cover on his KLR. I'm certain he bought it locally also. We'll have to see if he can swing through here to let us know more.

KL, quit stubbing your toes while curb wheelying! :lol: We need you to be able to ride with us when you can. :D

KL, quit stubbing your toes while curb wheelying! :lol: We need you to be able to ride with us when you can. :D

Hey the little hammr on my shoulder told me to do it! It said "go on you can do it. Pu$$Y start rideing". What can I say I have to follow my hero. :D

Hey the little hammr on my shoulder told me to do it! It said "go on you can do it. Pu$$Y start rideing". What can I say I have to follow my hero. :D

You could have taken a little hammer and just whacked your toe, then you wouldn't need new turn signals! :D