RogerTOWM

Provocative ADVRider Thread....Topic Merged

Here is the age old question; what is the best all-round adventure bike and why?

We are not talking small single track dual sport. But instead we are discussing a; ride to Alaska with all your camping gear, taking Highways and dirt roads, type of bike.

Randy told me that his favorite bike for this had been the Elefant. DigDug seems to prefer the KTM 950. It looks like Hammer likes the red 08 KLR 650 (Hammer the blue one is faster) :) . Kevin might prefer the BMW 650. What is your preference for the Best all-round adventure bike and why?

Roger, I see your sig.....did you get a 990 ??!!!!!

My partial answer is.......anything bigger than a single.....the rest depends on what you like. I'll elaborate more later.

If I had the cash, I have been looking at the KTM990 adventure S(no price on thier web site) and BMW 1200GS Adventure Around $16K

If I had the cash, I have been looking at the KTM990 adventure S(no price on thier web site) and BMW 1200GS Adventure Around $16K

I don't know, I have something about Fuel Injection on a dirt bike (990). I heard from one guy, it has too much snap when you whack the throttle.

You can save a lot of bucks by looking for an older 950 with low miles. Many people don't abuse them in the dirt, use them more for street and light dirt duty.

“Best all-round adventure bike and why”?

We've all heard the saying a thousand times, "opinions are like A-Holes, everybody's got one"......and on that note, and since the topic is focused on Adventure Bikes not Dual Sport bikes, I'd suggest you take a lot at this grouping of threads over at ADVRider.com: http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12

Personally, adventure bikes have never appealed to me.....I come from the school of "light is right" and have always prefered day loops or point to point supported trips......but that mindset is sorta changing after watching Long Way Round and hearing about other "Adventures" like the Transamerica ride, the continental divide ride, Mex to Canada, etc., etc.....

Perhaps I'll step up and punch that ticket once I figure out how to get enough time off from work to go on a good/long "Adventure" :):);):D

My partial answer is.......anything bigger than a single.....the rest depends on what you like. I'll elaborate more later.

Good eye Randy...

Welcome to the club Roger!!!!!!!!

In my opinion, it all depends on the adventure... Sometimes my adventures involve some nasty, rocky, single track at Kennedy Meadows. Sometimes my adventure is cruising the coast.

Even on the same adventure, the best adventure bike is going to be different for different people...

Whatever gets your blood pumping and puts a grin on your face...

That being said... it's time for me to pack up here at work, hop on my bike and ride home - my daily adventure!!!!

Now post some pictures!!!!!

“Best all-round adventure bike and why”?

We've all heard the saying a thousand times, "opinions are like A-Holes, everybody's got one"......and on that note, and since the topic is focused on Adventure Bikes not Dual Sport bikes, I'd suggest you take a lot at this grouping of threads over at ADVRider.com: http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12

What bike would they take to Alaska.... or what bike did they take? ;)

Go to ride reports or ask people who have been where you want to go. That will narrow down the opinions considerably. It may also make you modify your expectations.

You mentioned Alaska. My qualified opinion is that you can do it on any well prepped bike that you are comfortable riding in snot. The more exotic the bike model the fewer chances you have to resolve a parts problem on the road. Do you want to ride a plated dirt bike 8000 miles so you can do a few knarly roads, or gobble up the miles on your Harley and rent a KLR up there to do the haul-road? The "best all-around" might end up being the plan, not the bike. ;)

Bikes we saw having a good time on the ALCAN and side roads to and from...

p6090251e.jpg

p6090281e.jpg

p6120363e.jpg

p6130451e.jpg

p6220060e.jpg

p6050140e.jpg

Oh, and these techno-geeks:

p6080235e.jpg

I was thinking a husky 600 would be a pretty good adventure bike or even a KLR 650. ;)

this is the best adventure bike, because it tops out at 140MPH

terramostro.jpg

I was thinking a husky 600 would be a pretty good adventure bike or even a KLR 650. ;)

The Husky has a pretty small fuel tank though, doesn't it?

All the "adventure" sized bikes are a handful too much for a person my size, unless I have my personal valet along on the ride to pick the dang thing up every time it goes over.

I also notice the KLR is gone... traded it in did ya?

I warned you not to take a test ride unless you were ready to buy one.. these things sell themselves!!!

So you walked into the store, looking for a 300-XC and walked out with three times that (pretty close to three times the cc's, three times the weight, and three times the horsepower). Talk about an change in directions... ;)

The break-in is painful... The engine doesn't even start to be fun until about 6000 rpm - from there on it just keeps pulling stronger and stronger, your grin gets wider and wider, and pretty soon you're doing close to 75/80 in third gear, bouncing off the rev limiter and it's time to shift...

I sure hope your wife doesn't hate me now...

p6220060e.jpg

Wow, somebody rode a beached whale up the Alcan highway..... ;)

Wow, somebody rode a beached whale up the Alcan highway..... ;)

Bob (smellybiker) would love that comment... ;)

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Here is the age old question; what is the best all-round adventure bike and why?

We are not talking small single track dual sport. But instead we are discussing a; ride to Alaska with all you camping gear, taking Highways and dirt roads, type of bike.

Randy told me that his favorite bike for this had been the Elefant. DigDug seems to prefer the KTM 950. It looks like Hammer likes the red 08 KLR 650 (Hammer the blue one is faster) :P . Kevin might prefer the BMW 650. What is your preference for the “Best all-round adventure bike and why”?

Last night at the bike shop my wife liked the V Strom and a GSR. The last customer, today was telling me about a 9,000 mile 2 up ride he did on a BMW 1,200GS. I realy liked Yetti's BMW. But I think a KLR 650 will be a good, low key, cheap 50-60 MPG. dependable bike, for 2 up surf trips to Baja. The rule I have always lived by in Baja (don't take anything you can't leave behind). ; ;) I don't think, I would ride any bike I can't lift, by myself, off road(TECHNICAL), unless I felt comfertable leaving it there and walking. ;)

Craig.

I could make arguments for a DR650, XRL or KLR as a "good" adventure bike on the small side

A GS1200 or KTM 990 on the big side

And a new bmw gs800 as something that can almost do it all...

Any bike that will handle terrain as diverse as superslab to singletrack will HAVE to be a compromise (we all know this)

I tend to think like Doug...take the truck and bring: (my usual load) my DRZ, my TW, a full sus mountain bike, a hard tail, and a kayak (sub board if was a coast trip)

The questions is what is the best all-round adventure bike and why? I’m not asking about the best dirt bike for the single track that you can get licensed. That is another great subject but not the one I want to look at in this post.

I’m talking about that bike that you can Pyro around the world! I asked about Alaska because most of us have read about those trips and can relate to them. I talking about that bike that you ride the slab to Arkansas and then take the Trans America Trail to Oregon. This question is prompted by the movie the long way down. Remember I’m not just asking for which bike but also why. Why is a very important part of the question!

Randy did you mess with my sig? Why do you rule out the big singles? How about the BMW 650GS is that a single? Or do I have the wrong name there? Is the KLR650 ruled out? Why?

John, why the KTM 990 or BMW 1200GS? It’s not just because they cost a lot.

Come on guys you don’t get off that easy. You have to answer the whole question. Not just the first half.

Crawdaddy, you are right about getting the time to ride these adventures. It’s hard to do when you have a young family at home. Now when the nest is empty it is much more easily done. On some of the reports I’ve read this is the person’s annual vacation that they planned out for a year or two. Or they do these trips because they are single or retired or young just out of school and haven’t started their life’s work yet.

Now if you aren’t interested in motorcycle touring then you aren’t interested. That’s o.k. also. But I bet you will get the bug at some point. I enjoy touring the country on a motorcycle. I have done in on an Indian Scout and a Victory 92C. Now I ride a Harley touring bike. I have ridden a 40 mile dirt road on the Harley but I can’t say I enjoyed that part of the ride (wrong bike, right road).

Doug….thanks for outing me!!! I told you guys my wife READS these forums. Anything else you want to out me on?

Now let’s define the adventure for you maybe that can help. It is a long distance road trip with on the slab as well as dirt roads. The dirt might be a well maintained county road, or deep gravel or an old logging road in need of repair. That is the adventure. Now what bike would you want to take and why?

Sandiegoland “any well prepared bike you feel comfortable riding in snot”. That may well be the very best answer, as well as the importance of the plan. I don’t think I want to ride my Harley in snot. It might do it but I don’t want to destroy my Harley and myself.

Spaugh, 140mph on the Alcan Highway? Wow! Now where do you strap on the luggage?

Mimi is the V Strom to tall for you?

Hammer, good well thought out answer. Craig this is just what I was looking for.

Come on Bikeslut NO TRUCK! ;) You are touring around on a motorcycle. No worries, no troubles, nothing. Your wife says it is o.k. and you don’t have to worry about a job. So there is nothing to hold you back. You are riding the whole TAT from east to west. After that you are going to ride through Canada to Alaska and then run the haul road to the arctic sea. Which bike do you want to be on and why? Are you choosing the BMW GS800? Why?

Doug, yes I sold the KLR 650. That bike scared my wife (and me). Not that it wasn’t a great bike, it just was not right for me at the time. My wife hates you, she just ran me out of the house….. and made me take her for a ride on the new bike. That thing is fast even if you don't get close to 6000 rpm. It also feels light, now I know why Randy just throws it all around the road. It's because he can! ;)

Guest Hammerin Hammon

In these days of fancy $20,000 high-tech motorcycles, there is a refreshing alternative for those seeking simplicity and time-tested reliability: the Kawasaki KLR 650. Kawasaki started making this dual sport bike in 1984 and in twenty years has made only minor modifications, other than changing color schemes every four years or so.

There are no computer chips to melt down. Just one carburetor and one piston to maintain. The components are as accessible as on a old tractor. The US military recently converted the KLR to diesel, fulfilling their goal of having all their vehicles consume one fuel.

What sold me on this bike is the community support. Over 3,000 feisty members on a Yahoo group can provide you with anything you want to know (and sometimes more than you want to know). Local groups around the planet get together for rides and maintenance sessions. A long list of web sites show you in full detail any repair or modification you can think of. A former Midwestern corn farmer will overnight parts from his shed in Moab, Utah to anywhere you might be waiting.

Many call this one of the best 'value bikes' you can find. It is certainly one of the top adventure motorcycles, with a huge variety of aftermarket options catering to the countless people who have traveled to every corner of the planet on the KLR.

One advantage for a vehicle that's been around for twenty years is that you can find old ones dirt cheap and easily resuscitate them. New ones are a bit over $4,000.

Maybe you can find a cheaper bike out there, but with the KLR you've got a bullet proof bike you can fix yourself with a network of support. You can comfortably take it back country in rough terrain, use it around town as reliable transportation or head out on a global adventure.

-- Jonathan Foust

;) Here's a question you might ask Roger:

How many people have ridden on (enter the local road or trail Roger feels represents the worst he might face) on a bike that they've also ridden over 5,000 miles on one tour?

...I talking about that bike that you ride the slab to Arkansas and then take the Trans America Trail to Oregon...

It's a simple answer: It's the biggest bike you have the skills to handle the worst 100 feet of your trip. ;)

To answer it from my perspective... if I wanted to do the Continental Divide or the TAT without any bypasses I would take my DRZ and tough it out on the hardtop. What choice would I have?

Now if I simply allow myself to bypass the worst sections (no rock steps on the DL650 for me), I can not only take a much larger bike, but I can ride it 2UP or with all the camping gear I wanted.

Translation: Kernan Cycle Trail - not on the DL650. Otay Mountain to Barrett Junction on the border - DL650 OK.

Now let’s define the adventure for you maybe that can help. It is a long distance road trip with on the slab as well as dirt roads. The dirt might be a well maintained county road, or deep gravel or an old logging road in need of repair...

DL650. I've done it many times.

...You are riding the whole TAT from east to west. After that you are going to ride through Canada to Alaska and then run the haul road to the arctic sea. Which bike do you want to be on and why?

Hmmm, gotta throw that TAT in there again huh? Doing that whole route on one bike would be a risky exercise just for bragging rights. I would ride the DRZ East to West and petition the gods in charge to let me take the DL650 South to North. It's just too much highway to cover and life is short.

That said, I do fantasize about time and money being so plentiful that I could ride to Alaska on the DRZ... :P

So why do I vote for the DL650?

I'm frugal. It's reliable. It's kills everything in it's class on the highway. Huge range. Dealerships everywhere. Passenger comfort.

pc110536e.jpg

Roger,

As I recall after our street ride on Sunday you pealed off up the coast to Oceanside for your wife's Birthday party. Now I see your posts of a new bike in your stable. Wow, I can't wait till my wife's birthday, there is always room for a new bike around here!! Thanks for the tip..... Gota love her new ride. ;)

See you at the movie, Todd

SanDiegoLand, what a well thought out response. That’s the type of answers I’m looking for. Good reasoning, although I did have to look it up to find out that the Vstrom is a DL650. Yes I know that there is no perfect one bike for everything. DRZ for the TAT sounds about right, especially for what I’ve read on the western part. Vstrom for the north, a lot of people have chosen that bike as well. You have given us good reason for the decision. ;)

Now your simple answer “It's the biggest bike you have the skills to handle the worst 100 feet of your trip”, would mean I need to get an old tote goat minibike. I didn’t have the skills to go down Kernan the other day. Luckily for me the Husky did have the skills.

Todd, I really didn’t mean to announce my new bike here in this post. I was “Outed” by Randy and Doug! Just incase they try to “out” me on anything else I want to make it clear that I like women…always have…always will. So don’t believe them! ;)

the KLR is the best choice in my opinion. maybe i'm a little biased... ;) but they are super reliable and the big kawi motors are bullet proof. and they aren't that bad offf road once you get used to them. and they kill wee stroms everywhere

the KLR is the best choice in my opinion. maybe i'm a little biased... ;) but they are super reliable and the big kawi motors are bullet proof. and they aren't that bad offf road once you get used to them. and they kill wee stroms everywhere

Rooster; welcome to the site... I had a KLR for years... just got rid of a V Strom. Riding to Alaska, it is NO contest... the Wee is a much better mount... riding two up... the Wee is a much better mount...

as far as bullet proof... mine blew up, and there was no bullet involved.

Just incase they try to “out” me on anything else I want to make it clear that I like women…always have…always will. So don’t believe them! ;)

That shirt you wear kinda speaks otherwise, but that's off topic and I have nothing constructive to add to this thread. Cheers!

Crawdaddy, you are right about getting the time to ride these adventures. Doug, yes I sold the KLR 650.

Yep, time off is the issue........sometimes ya gotta just make/find the time......my 50th B-day is next March.....it would be nice to mark the milestone with a new toy/adventure sometime next year......started laying the groundwork with Kathy last night ;)

So if the KLR is gone.......you need a new handle.....KTMRoger ;)

When you adventure bike, you want something that is comfortable for long periods on the street, and capable of off roading. Off roading-not climbing cliffs and boulders. You also want something very reliable, a large fuel tank as fuel is remote is some locations, you want EFI so the motor will run perfect no matter if your in Death Valley or Pikes Peak without rejetting, will run all types of fuel octane, and you want the ability for service/parts weather you are in the US or South America. Because of these, the bike of choice has been the BMW 1200GS. With the shaft drive, you can ride about 70,000 miles until the drive sytem will need servicing. I beleive the new BMW800GS will overtake the 1200GS as the bike of choice for those whom choose more dirt-but the 800GS will have a chain/sprocket so it will need servicing sooner. The "Long Way Down" will be playing tonight in movie theaters, and you can buy the "Long Way Round"-Watch these as see why they use the BMW 1200GS.

Also, this bike has spoke rims for durability, but the design allows you to use Tubless tires. NO MORE TUBES BUT USING A DIRT TIRE.

Good points Kevin! I hope you are meeting us for the movie tonight. I haven’t seen the 800GS yet but you may be correct about it being the “new adventure bike”. You forgot to mention one other important point; I can’t believe you left it out. The BMW has lots more places where you can stash your beer!!! :ph34r::lol: