bicyclebradley

Old rider new(ish) to ADV

Hey y'all, first post here.  Been riding a long time, grew up on old dirt bikes, and been on the streets for over 30 years.  I'm loving the adventure style riding off the tarmac and in the dirt.  I've gone out 2 times with my buddy on a KLR.  Once to Otay Mountain, and Once to Black Mountain Lookout.  Had a little hiccup last ride and I'm waiting for my right peg bracket to arrive... i didn't drop it, but learned a valuable lesson about where to keep my eyes!  

Anywhoo... looking forward to getting into the dirt and I came to look for seasoned SD riders who know the trails and could be a guide for the price of some post-ride pizza and brew maybe?

Thanks and have a rad weekend - Pizzacat. 

Enjoy my pain:

My vid of the hiccup.

KLR buddys vid of the hiccup.

• Like 2

There are aftermarket brackets that might be stronger than stock, and beware the bolts do come loose, a tac weld prevents any of that happening.
Done it on more than a few KLR's for my friends.

Safety wire the bolts also works to keep them from backing out.

Edited by DSM8
  • Like 2

I like the old KLR, it has some common issues but after you get it sorted it can take you around the world.  And yes, if it breaks down you can fix it with a rock and then eat a trail hot dog!

Welcome to the group, see ya on the trail.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tntmo said:

I like the old KLR, it has some common issues but after you get it sorted it can take you around the world.  And yes, if it breaks down you can fix it with a rock and then eat a trail hot dog!

Welcome to the group, see ya on the trail.

the KLR650 is a great dualsport & ADV bike. @tntmo did use a rock to fix a KLR once!

@Dan Diego @bfar33 and @PaulyPickles have ridden them all over

• Like 2

Welcome to the broken footpeg KLR club! I broke mine in DV as well but no one was around with trailside hot dogs. 😔

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bfar33 said:

Welcome to the broken footpeg KLR club! I broke mine in DV as well but no one was around with trailside hot dogs. 😔

I didn’t share the trail dogs, just ate them while fixing the bike with a rock. 

• Like 1

That's exactly how I broke my foot in Baja a few months ago.

• Like 1