tntmo

Noob Overnight Dual Sport Camping Trip - 22-23 October

1 hour ago, moto_rph said:

@DSM8 have you formalized anything for your get together this Sunday?  I think I'm good on the packing, but would just like to stop by and meet some folks :)

Time?  Address?

Yes it looks like Sunday around 930am is going to be the time, early enough not to kill the day for anyone that comes over.

Addy

925 Chadonney Way
Escondido,Ca 92029

Come up the left side of the driveway, dogs will be out so get our attention and we will open the gate for you.

Edited by DSM8
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, DSM8 said:

Yes it looks like Sunday around 930am is going to be the time, early enough not to kill the day for anyone that comes over.

sounds like a plan.  I MAY be bringing our newest member, @Dale along.  Dale and I were riding yesterday, and he mentioned he enjoys motorcycling and camping, but has never put the two together.  Hence, we have a new member :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 10/6/2022 at 1:11 PM, tntbromo said:

Count me in. I’m going to bring the TW200 and pants. 

Sorry to miss this one... and you too tnt-bro-

I'll be running entertainment support for a BDR that week. 

Excellent job Tom taking the lead on this. It's an amazing feeling camping off your motorcycle.

Surrounding yourself with like-minded moto-campers really expedites the process.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

It's Tuesday....I had a day off.  Excellent!  I have been pondering how to pack "light" for a camping trip.  I have a 1200 GS Adventure with the BMW side cases and a oversized GIVI topcase.  Is that hard to pack for camping?  No.  I just can't take my king sized bed.

But how do I pack a KTM 500?  A couple of weeks ago, I purchased a Tusk rack, which nicely is supported off of the sub frame.  I also have some SMALL Tusk side "pockets"...10L each.  So here I go....

IMG_8058.jpg.58cc7116ee3fa68b7598cf94e33682d2.jpg

@shutterrev was nice enough to give me a one-man tent so I didn't have to pack my 4-man REI Half Dome.  OK, let's put it together as a dry run.  No pics and no instructions....I was the epitome of noob camper!  Spent a half hour trying to get those tubes to run vertically, like a backbone.  Finally went online and pulled up a picture....duh!  Glad I went through that in the comfort of my own home :)

Anyway, here is a list of my gear if it helps anyone, along with some pics.  

IMG_8059.jpg.4ad26df4450fabab43aa874f9a691933.jpg

Camelbak:  first aid kit, tire gauge, compressor, desiccated towels, headlamp, cap, sunglasses, 3L water, toothbrush/toothpaste

ON THE TAIL:  tent, sleeping bag.       Plus, 10L Drysack:  pants/sandals, pillow, (2) LED lanterns, mattress pad.  

4L Tusk right pocket:  tools, MSR can, usb adapter, phone cord

4L Tusk left pocket:  extra Rok straps, 64oz YETI Thermo Flask (Margaritas)

IMG_8061.jpg.e4756c7c1fed9b08df3232d646c4160f.jpg

I don't have any tire patching and/or spoons with me as I ride a Tubliss system.  That may bite me in the butt sometime, but we shall see.

I plan on seeing anyone/everyone at @DSM8 on Sunday and will bring the steed.  I'll fall on my sword so everyone can tell me what I forgot :)

• Like 4

As an addendum to above, you will notice I did not pack any food and/or cooking gear.  That is simply because everyone in this group LIKES SAUSAGES!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

As an addendum to above, you will notice I did not pack any food and/or cooking gear.  That is simply because everyone in this group LIKES SAUSAGES!

The only addendum I would add is this is what gets people into trouble in little bikes.
You have 3 items all of which are going to want to move around on their own axis.
I would suggest you try and combine those into a single duffle bag, that will make it harder for something to come loose while riding and you can move it forward to cover the rear section of your seat.

High and out back like that is not good for the plastic subframe some of these bikes have moving it forward only a few inches can help. You just lose seat space while riding.

My 02

image.png.7bf9da17ad12d666b7e9eddf4309be07.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have two dry bags available if needed, pretty good sized.  

• Agree 1

@DSM8, @tntmo thank you both!

The Tusk has significant support, so I'm not concerned about the subframe, but shifting and center of gravity are really good points.  I have a good drysack large enough for all and will update my packing prior to Sunday :)

I will, however still have the YETI full of margaritas....it will be just fine....cuz it's a YETI 😂

• Like 1

@moto_rph that's my plan for today.  Set up my borrowed tent, so I know how and to pack my gear on the bike to see what's what.  Hopefully on Sunday, when I show up, I won't look like Jethro...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J5ive said:

@moto_rph that's my plan for today.  Set up my borrowed tent, so I know how and to pack my gear on the bike to see what's what.  Hopefully on Sunday, when I show up, I won't look like Jethro...

Well you got the beard thingy already...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, J5ive said:

I bet nobody's gonna care because we're all gonna look like Jethro....🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Goofy Footer said:

who the h*ll is Jethro?

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

who the h*ll is Jethro?

Actually it’s the Klamptons

My how times have changed...

ok ok, back to our scheduled program now.

6 hours ago, DSM8 said:

Actually it’s the Klamptons

Am I the only one old enough to know it's the Clampetts ☹️

"Come and listen to my story 'bout a man named Jed".....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, moto_rph said:

But it was Jethro Bodine….

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tntmo said:

But it was Jethro Bodine….

Fair enough ancient one.....he was the nephew :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moto_rph said:

No just old enough to get the spelling right.

• Like 2

Haha

sounds like this noob camping is gonna be a hoot.  Except we all go to bed at 830....

• Like 2

Haha

sounds like this noob camping is gonna be a hoot.  Except we all go to bed at 830....

Sausage overdose?

Haha

That one time at

band

N00B

ADV Ride

camp

• Like 2