Bagstr

How to Wire a Motorcycle

Wow, all that info in one place.

I remember when I was changing my 450x to street legal I found an older Honda that was on a front bumper rack of a pickup in a wrecking yard. The bike was the first vehicle to the wreck. Anyway I painstakingly took the bike apart labeling the wires and making a hardcopy of what wires went where. It turned out that actually it is all pretty simple when all laid out on paper. There were things like LED lights don't blink right with regular flashers etc. But even things like horn wiring is fairly strange the first time around. Don't be afraid, if I can do it so can you.

Cheers,

Just remember to keep the wires secure and away from any sharp edges or heat sources. Broken or melted wires are the most common source of electrical failure I see. "

I will add;  Any non-factory crimp connector should looked at with suspicion as the wire can easily loosen or pull out of the terminal.

I bought these and put a few in my kit for emergency repairs on the trail.

120 PCS Solder Seal Butt Connectors, Automotive Marine Waterproof Solder Wire Connectors, Insulated Electrical Butt Splices for Boat Truck Trailer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B2WS9HQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_7FGIEbP1N7Q90

CiD

4 hours ago, Bagstr said:

Just remember to keep the wires secure and away from any sharp edges or heat sources. Broken or melted wires are the most common source of electrical failure I see. "

I will add;  Any non-factory crimp connector should looked at with suspicion as the wire can easily loosen or pull out of the terminal.

Aftermarket crimps though unsightly are pretty robust if done properly with the correct tool. This is the proper tool:

klein.jpg.817b5d9cad93a596f7a561c372eb614f.jpg

This is NOT:

1082372984_HBCRIMP.jpg.b8b14691879f43765e24f24e329db4a0.jpg

That said I still prefer to solder and heat shrink. You do need to be aware though that soldering embrittles the wire so proper strain relief is important.

• Like 1

I'll throw in that when installing "factory" connectors you'll need the proper crimping tool to place the pins on the ends of wires. I have one of these in my tool box from when I put a KTM style Molex connector on a powered GPS mount: 

61hBdKWbVfL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Channellock-4-5-in-Tongue-and-Groove-Straight-Jaw-Pliers-424/306089834

All These Tools are fine for the garage; but for the trail Chris' cold solder or a crimp is all you can hope for.  That said, I would be looking for a wire rubbing the insulation off out on the trail.  At that point some 3M 33 tape and a new fuse  will get you going.

But Really, We are in the maintenance mode until we get a vaccine. Spending my time with moto maint and fine tuning until That Happy Day.

Thanks for the input Gents

I made a few test with the connectors. They are pretty strong and you can melt the solder and the heat shrink with the heat from a match or lighter.

Edited

125 C is equal to 257 F

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BEL733302?partTypeName=Primary+Wire&keywordInput=cross+link+automotive+wire

Randy, 

Looks like NAPA sells the stuff.  This would be better than construction THHN high temp wire because the THHN has a tough clear layer that cracks and breaks down in high heat and friction. Plus it is only rated at 105 C. 

Good Find, Thanks Dave

One more, alow slag to the wire, but tightened to the frame.

37 minutes ago, Mr.JAJA said:

One more, alow slag to the wire, but tightened to the frame.

Do you mean "slack " , so there's no tension on the wires?

yes, that what I meant. And I dont worry about electric.

DSC04877.JPG

That article makes me want to buy an old bike and wire it up!  You know it's well written because even I can understand it.