Sign in to follow this  
DigDug

Anyone on Vacation this week?

I don't really expect to get any takers since it's such a shotgun trip - but we're going anyways - heck, you only live once!!!!

Mickey's on spring break this week and my wife still has friends in town. I've got leave starting Wednesday and we were originally going to head to Johnson Valley for a few days of camping and riding. Turns out my sister and her husband are going camping in Moab with their Landcruiser club starting Thursday night, coming home Sunday. We're going to load up the bikes, camp with them in Moab, and ride some slickrock on the dirt bikes!!!

We'll leave sometime Wednesday (probably early afternoon) drive until we get tired, pull over and sleep in the toyhauler. Thursday morning, we're going to get up early and head to San Rafael Swell (an hour or two short of Moab) and ride some of the trails there - If we have the guts, we're going to give Five Miles of Hell a shot (I'm already chickening out, but we'll see if we can ride a little of it at least...) :declare:

After that, we'll head down Thursday afternoon to meet up with my sister and her husband and ride some of the Moab trails. I'm not sure what the best trails for dirt bikes are there (I've done a bit of Jeeping, but never biked there), but my brother in law worked as a professional Jeep guide there and knows all the good stuff. He'll point us in the right direction.

Our Wednesday departure is based on my wife's schedule and there's a chance we may have to delay our departure to Thursday - in which case we'll probably cut out the San Rafael swell in favor of all Moab stuff.

We've got room for two more people in the truck and bikes in the toyhauler if anyone is interested. Or, if anyone wants to drive up there, we can meet up.

Again, sorry this is late notice, and I realize the chances of anyone being able to go is very small - but I figured I'd offer it up to anyone that wants to go...

I don't really expect to get any takers since it's such a shotgun trip - but we're going anyways - heck, you only live once!!!!

If we have the guts, we're going to give Five Miles of Hell a shot (I'm already chickening out, but we'll see if we can ride a little of it at least...) :declare:

You're killing me....I'll see what I can do.....

Have you seen this video on "5 Miles of Hell"?

http://www.ipiphotonet.com/domains/350/files/2140.wmv

Dig, I would suggest you do the White Rim Trail.....fairly easy, absolutely gorgeous scenery along the Colorado and Green Rivers........make sure your bikes can carry enough gas....it's 100+ miles between gas stops.

If you can't do that, do the Moab SlickRock Bike Trail......you should have no trouble on the little bikes, we tried it on our Adventure Bikes.

See some of my posts in Ride Reports about Moab.

Moab Trip

Slickrock Bike Trail

I'm thinkin' may be going there in May, have a friend renting a condo for a month there.

Yeah... I've seen that, cool video. Even if I have to bulldog, I want to be able to say I rode it... Then again, maybe we'll just hit some of the easier trails if 5MOH looks too intimidating.

It's always been something I've wanted to do before I give up riding...

If we have the guts, we're going to give Five Miles of Hell a shot (I'm already chickening out, but we'll see if we can ride a little of it at least...) :declare:

I was wondering if one of you guys could give me info on Moab I will be coming west 1st week of May and want to ride Moab but will only have my KTM 250EXC as the 530 is already in Poway anyway what are the regulations concerning bikes is it legal to ride and if so what permits do I need to ride there. Thanks Jeff

hey dug, that looks KILLER! I just drooled on my keyboard fromt he 5 mile movie.

drooling-1.gifdrooling-2.gifdrooling-3.gifdrooling-4.gifdrooling-5.gifdrooling-6.gifdrooling-7.gifdrooling-8.gif

If we have the guts, we're going to give Five Miles of Hell a shot (I'm already chickening out, but we'll see if we can ride a little of it at least...) :(

"in" :( :ok: :declare: :D:D

"in" :( :ok: :declare: :(:D

EXCELLENT!!!!

That leaves only one empty seat in the truck!!!

Or 2 empty beds in the toyhauler if someone wants to come up later...

there is about ONE time a year that I wish I wasn't married, didn't have kids, and had a more flexible job...

THIS is that time!!!

Moab rocks! Take lots of pictures!

there is about ONE time a year that I wish I wasn't married, didn't have kids, and had a more flexible job...

THIS is that time!!!

Come'on Slut, get your balls back!!! :declare: .....grovel to the wife/boss :ok: ..... and then join us (regardless of what they say) :D:(:D:(

THIS is that time!!!

Come'on Slut, get your balls back!!! :declare: .....grovel to the wife/boss :ok: ..... and then join us (regardless of what they say) :D:(:D:(

It's not the balls i'm concerned with... it's a well-paying job

If I was able to get out of work, I could probably swing it with the wife... my OTHER boss would be another issue.

I REALLY can't go... But i am going in Sept. or Oct, so you can help me lay out a plan...

I'm in for any Sunday trips in the meantime... maybe Mondays

OK- just came in from the VP's office...

Tim; I'm going to take off the next 5 days, so i can go to Utah on a bike trip... "hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah....no.....hahahahahaha"

Mentioned it to the wife, and she kind of blankly smiled, and said "have fun"

So...it's a "no"

So...it's a "no"

"have fun" means no? Must've been some non-verbal comm going on there... :declare:

Fortunately I'm too dense for that... I would've been halfway to Utah by now!! :ok:

So...it's a "no"

"have fun" means no? Must've been some non-verbal comm going on there... :declare:

Fortunately I'm too dense for that... I would've been halfway to Utah by now!! :ok:

the "no" was embedded in the hahahahahahahahaha... the blank smile and "have fun"was one "yes" out of the two required!

So...it's a "no"

Fortunately I'm too dense for that... I would've been halfway to Utah by now!! :D

Ya know what's worse than a flat out "no" from the gal-pal/boss? :ok: ......this line, "You do whatever you think is right" :( ....which is basically an attempt to levy a major guilt trip on you for bailing out on family and/or work........an attempt to make you feel guilty for shoving maturity, responsibility, logical thinking, etc., etc. aside in favor of your own selfish interests :D ......hmmmmmmmmm......I'm already over it :D:D:(

Ya know what's worse than a flat out "no" from the gal-pal/boss? :declare: ......this line, "You do whatever you think is right" :D ....which is basically an attempt to levy a major guilt trip on you for bailing out on family and/or work........an attempt to make you feel guilty for shoving maturity, responsibility, logical thinking, etc., etc. aside in favor of your own selfish interests :ok: ......hmmmmmmmmm......I'm already over it :(:(:D

That's a "HECK YES" to me...

Remember back in the days of "go ask your mother"? That one always worked out in my favor...

Bikeslut, you should have told your boss - "My mom, err my wife, said it was okay if it's okay with you..."

Tim; I'm going to take off the next 5 days, so i can go to Utah on a bike trip... "hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah....no.....hahahahahaha"

At least he had the courtesy to throw the "no" in there so you knew where you stood...

:D

nice totally ignored I guess I can find out somewhere else

Jeff the "5 miles of hell" video showed two non plated 2 strokes. I would imagine that you would be good.

Didn't mean to ignore.....just don't really know and figured someone more knowledgable would jump into the fray .......I've heard the area is fairly lax so I'd imagine you can ride most of the stuff without a street plate as long as you're not on National Park Service (Arches) property or cruising around on city streets....we'll know more after this weekend.....

Utah is pretty cool about most issues that we, as Californians, have accepted as normal... Last I was there, there were street registered quads, smokers, everything...

In addition to Arches, there is also Canyonlands...and both required plates last time I was there.

A local 4x4 company, or mountain bike company can probably give you pretty good direction... try googling Poison Spider Moab Utah... I'd supply a link, but that would require more effort...

Jeff; I would suggest bringing what bike you have... you will be able to find something to ride, for sure...

Jeff, I have never been to Moab, but after seeing the above video, if I could pick any bike in the world to ride there it just might be an EXC 250. Something light enough to pick up many times. Didn't figure I had enough knowledge about the area to chime in, not ignoring you just didn't want to waste your time with my lack of information. Moab is #1 on my want to do list. #2 is Death Valley. :declare: Ken

I agree about the EXC250. It would be the perfect bike. Only the EXC300 would be a better technical weapon. That and a good set of knee tendons :declare:

Thanks, :D Sorry was having a bad day the bank lost$500 in a transfer and neither bank had any idea where it was? :) Anyway I was thinking of posting on the adventure forum I joined it a while back but computer crashed and burned and I don't remember the name let alone my login and password :D I was hoping to hook up with someone to help carry my bike to the top of the crux :) think I am putting rekluse back in for sure (secret weapon) but might think twice if I am alone on that trail,it is similar in obstacles to a trail in Marquette some sadist designed to sell parts at the local dealership B) if anybody can direct me to that other forum I would appreciate it. Or I can post on here and I will come west and you come east and we will meet. I will have to nail down the exact date but its on the way(sort of) and on my agenda :P

Thanks, :) Sorry was having a bad day the bank lost$500 in a transfer and neither bank had any idea where it was? <_< Anyway I was thinking of posting on the adventure forum I joined it a while back but computer crashed and burned and I don't remember the name let alone my login and password :(

Are you looking for advrider.com ? That site is worldwide, and has a ton of members... you may want to try there...

You can also try thumpertalk.com

for LOCAL stuff, SDAR is the best place to go