Sign in to follow this  
Bagstr

Fuel Mileage Drop??

Seems that the mileage on the '16 450 xcw has gone from 45ish to 35ish all of a sudden.  Mmmm,  what's up?  About to start investigating, looking for leaks ( air and fluid ), air filter issue ( just cleaned and re-oiled ), wheel bearings gosh no idea what to look for.  Any ideas I might investigate would be appreciated.

So, as you sit back in your folding chair out at Superstition or the patio, keep me in mind.

The Gov

Is this as averaged over a few rides or just a sudden change after one ride?

I've found that fuel consumption goes up when I'm riding more of the tank in lower gears or in deeper sand, or other changes in the riding surface.

In fact, I usually plan for lower mileage on those kinds of rides if I know I'll be stretching the capacity of the tank, and bring extra fuel.

Overloaded on the Corned Beef Hash at Kendall's?

Are you sure about the amount you started with? I really doubt there is a problem with the bike. I burned up about 2 1/2 gallons yesterday on our 90 mile loop.

CiD

Yes,  Heading to a gas station to mark gallons from empty. May have got it wrong the first time.

32 minutes ago, Covered in Dust said:

Are you sure about the amount you started with? I really doubt there is a problem with the bike. I burned up about 2 1/2 gallons yesterday on our 90 mile loop.

CiD

I also used about 2.5 gallons.

On 11/23/2016 at 11:37 AM, Covered in Dust said:

CiD

" I really doubt there is a problem with the bike. "  Know it All  !    

Emptied the tank and headed to the fueling station.  Laid on marks at gallon points. Apparently the operator was confusing the architectural features of 5 gallon Acerbis tank with the similar on the 4 gallon.  I used about 2.25 gallons before going dry Tuesday, not 3.35 g imagined for the 85 ish miles. 

I cleaned the electrical connections and checked fuel lines for good measure. Ready to roll. 

The Governor        :huh: