I really wanted to do this ride. Unfortunately scheduling is going to take me from a participant to a host. I will have all my kids that weekend so I will not be able to go on the ride. I will drive my kids up with me and play host. I am glad many of you want to go and I want to keep the ride alive. 

Lurking and interested. On a "small" bike and prefer more dirt than road.

I did a Big Bear camp ride few weeks back, Kookamunga to Fawnskin, we cut right through the burn area of the Blue Cut fire while they were still fighting it. Rode through Silverwood Lake, through Arrowhead and camped one night at Hannah Flats. I will post the ride report later

I loaded the gpx file into my Garmin Montana this weekend and set out to ride part of the trail Monday.

This was the first time loading a route file to the Montana and I must have screwed something up.

I was able to follow the Mesa Grade to the turn off point off of the 79, but then the GPS told me that I had arrived and provided no additional routing info.  I looked a bit when I got home and I think the GPS or Base Camp may have broken the route up into a whole bunch of smaller route segments and I had only activated the first segment.

I'll play with it some more later and try to create a track file which I'm a bit more familiar with.

In any case, made it to the Indian Flats camp ground and did a quick loop around that.  May come back there with my girls and camp some time in the jeep just for fun.

Following that I continued on the dirt trail for about 10 miles or so then turned around and headed for home.  I had to be back home by noon to 1 PM so really just wanted a taste of the trail.  Pretty easy dirt road that presented no challenges for me on the 1190 R.  If the rest of the trail is like that all the way to Big Bear then it's definitely big bike friendly.

I might truck the 500 EXC up there some weekend and pre run more of the trail as I could do that at double the pace of my 1190 pretty easily.  Not that the 1190 can't go faster, just that I'm pretty comfortable sliding the 500 around - and if I fall over, no big deal.  Haven't tipped over the 1190 yet and not looking forward to the first time that I have to pick it up by myself :)

Also had two bonus trips up/down Palomar on the way out and the way back.  The knobbies have surprisingly good grip, but I'm still not sure how far I can lean over before I start dragging the side cases.  

Yup darylhunter trail is big bike doable all way to big bear done it on my 950se only thing now is the downhill on rousehill road from top of thomas down to 74 almost into hemet. they graded it and its a couple inches of powder now and a decent downhill. still doable but not newbie big bike anymore

Lets get a list of who is "IN" on this ride. Being the first time trying this I would like to keep the amount of riders to a realistic number.

44 minutes ago, Bp619 said:

Yup darylhunter trail is big bike doable all way to big bear done it on my 950se only thing now is the downhill on rousehill road from top of thomas down to 74 almost into hemet. they graded it and its a couple inches of powder now and a decent downhill. still doable but not newbie big bike anymore

I ride out there near Thomas Mountain / 74 area, curious to see this powder trail. We usually ride over by Red Mountain, Hixon, and Alesandro.

Double checked my schedule and it looks like I'll be flying home from Europe on either Oct 7 or 8 depending upon whether I have to stay an extra day.

So looks unlikely for me that weekend.  Flying on a different international trip this weekend, so the 9/9 date won't work for me either.

But so far the other weekends in October are open.

11 hours ago, darylhunter said:

I loaded the gpx file into my Garmin Montana this weekend and set out to ride part of the trail Monday.

This was the first time loading a route file to the Montana and I must have screwed something up.

I was able to follow the Mesa Grade to the turn off point off of the 79, but then the GPS told me that I had arrived and provided no additional routing info.  I looked a bit when I got home and I think the GPS or Base Camp may have broken the route up into a whole bunch of smaller route segments and I had only activated the first segment.

I'll play with it some more later and try to create a track file which I'm a bit more familiar with.

In any case, made it to the Indian Flats camp ground and did a quick loop around that.  May come back there with my girls and camp some time in the jeep just for fun.

Following that I continued on the dirt trail for about 10 miles or so then turned around and headed for home.  I had to be back home by noon to 1 PM so really just wanted a taste of the trail.  Pretty easy dirt road that presented no challenges for me on the 1190 R.  If the rest of the trail is like that all the way to Big Bear then it's definitely big bike friendly.

I might truck the 500 EXC up there some weekend and pre run more of the trail as I could do that at double the pace of my 1190 pretty easily.  Not that the 1190 can't go faster, just that I'm pretty comfortable sliding the 500 around - and if I fall over, no big deal.  Haven't tipped over the 1190 yet and not looking forward to the first time that I have to pick it up by myself :)

Also had two bonus trips up/down Palomar on the way out and the way back.  The knobbies have surprisingly good grip, but I'm still not sure how far I can lean over before I start dragging the side cases.  

Most likely, that is exactly what happened. The older GPS units, like the 60 and 76, automatically load the next track once you get to the end of the one you are currently following. I believe with the Montana, you have to load the next track from the list of tracks.

11 hours ago, ADV Bum said:

Lets get a list of who is "IN" on this ride. Being the first time trying this I would like to keep the amount of riders to a realistic number.

I'd be in if it's a late September date.  Is 10/7 going to be the chosen date?

ADV-Bum we want you to go, we can change the date but not to late into October because some might not like the cold, for me I am good with it.  ADV-Bum I could go on the original planned date and pre-run the ride with someone.  Make sure everything is good and pass the ride to you on the 14th.  I will map out place to go for you for the ride on Saturday.  This is your home and you should go period. 

20 hours ago, darylhunter said:

Let me know when you would like to do the route, I would be happy to do it with you.  I would like to pre-run the whole trail for ADV.  g

Give me a day or weekend I would be happy to run the trail with you.

Will do,

Heading Europe Sunday through Thursday.

Might be able to get out the weekend of the 17/18 or 24/25.  Heading back to Europe the 26th for two weeks.

It seemed people liked your original date and I am fine with Hosting it. I know you are free that weekend and you are putting in the time for it so lets just do it. There will be plenty of opportunity for me to be a participant in the future.

I am a go for the ride,  Let me know who can commit to the ride so I can let Mike know and we can plan for the food for the BBQ.  

Ill be camping in anza starting on 10/7 so i might catch you guys when you come threw anza or if you cross the 74 on your route ill join in for couple hours.

We went up to do some cleaning/ prep for the ride. I brought a large grill up for the cooking duties. 

IMG_20160917_190450668_zpsuu9fbhon.jpg

HI, do we know if it is a one or two night stay? I need to know if I need to buy 1 or 2 can beers for the trip.

Would you give some details of the ride?

Distance, percent of dirt, lodging or camping (tents), number of nights, food plans?

Danrider has the ride details. He has not discussed the food situation with me as we dont have a count on how many. It might be easier since I am not riding, to store up the house with food to be cooked. I have the grills up there and ready. I believe you guys are coming up Fri eve and leaving Sun. If people only want to stay one night that is fine. Here are pics of the back yard / tent area. There is room in the woods as well.

P1010309_zpsoapimr1l.jpg

P1010308_zpsng1nf1fw.jpg

P1010307_zpsojr5nsyt.jpg

P1010300_zpsobul9h7r.jpg

002_zpsw1dlf6hb.jpg

Wish I could join you guys.  Pics or it didn't happen!