dirt dame

Another day near Big Bear 08/13/16

Got another late start and wasn't even sure where I wanted to go as I was pulling out of the driveway, but ended up at my favorite staging area near Fawnskin.  Weather was beautiful, a little warm and humid, with a nice breeze and some clouds (which I kept hoping would gather up into a storm, but never did).  It seemed like this was about the busiest Saturday of the summer, with events for almost any group you could think of.  There were outdoor education conferences, some youth hiking event, the annual Renaissance fair, people on the lake, people on the shoreline, people lined up along the roadway to watch the classic car parade around the lake...and on and on.  Camping areas and trails were sort of busy too.  I explored a bunch of small, mostly deadend trails (that had some great views), and only did 60 miles of dirt this time around.  I had originally wanted to start out at Pinnacles and cross Deep Creek, but the 173 was closed at Grass Valley road because of the recent fire, so it was a no-go there.  It looked like the fire had gotten awfully close to that area, maybe even reached it.  But I guess I won't know how close it got to Pinnacles until they open the road back up.  Anyway, the San Bernardinos is the place to be in the summertime!

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

4 minutes ago, Wierdrider said:

??

Jealous

It's nicey nice up there.  You should tag along.

Very nice...staging out of Fawnskin gives you options...Deep Creek is cool...

That sure looks nice.  Hope it is cooler than El Cajon these days.  If you don't mind cruising instead of jammin, throw an invite my way sometime as it sure would be nice to go somewhere I have never been to before...  with a guide  :).  nice post and pics, thanks, cheers.

8 hours ago, MacDuncan said:

That sure looks nice.  Hope it is cooler than El Cajon these days.  If you don't mind cruising instead of jammin, throw an invite my way sometime as it sure would be nice to go somewhere I have never been to before...  with a guide  :).  nice post and pics, thanks, cheers.

It's usually 15-20 degrees cooler than the flat lands up in the mountains.  I am always cruisin', as I am more or a tourist than a racer..  And I like showing riding buddies around, so next time I go and make the plan sooner than when I'm pulling out of the driveway, I'll give you a heads up.

1 hour ago, dirt dame said:

It's usually 15-20 degrees cooler than the flat lands up in the mountains.  I am always cruisin', as I am more or a tourist than a racer..  And I like showing riding buddies around, so next time I go and make the plan sooner than when I'm pulling out of the driveway, I'll give you a heads up.

Please do.  My TE310 is back on line and I'm ready for an excursion up there too.  Never been up there yet, and it would be a great experience to follow you around for a day.

Nice riding around there, I went to the Bowen Ranch from Fawnskin via the hard way.

post-14767-0-18384300-1445132847_thumb.jpg

I want to go. Someone start a weekend trip. 

Need a guide. Never ridden up there. Yet. 

36 minutes ago, Mr.JAJA said:

How does September sounds? 1-2 night sleepover?

Ok

Good motivation JaJa and Ken.

Dirt Dame, thanks again.  PM me/us if best answered off thread, but as a reference point, Usually.... do you ride up/back or trailer up/back,     AND/OR    One day only (as in, Leave home 4 am, get back home 9 pm) or overnight (bike camp, car camp, or hotel, pirate or campground or motel)?  Seems like you have a good strategy :) for nice rides!

Cool Autumn must be nice, but today even, cooler temps would be nice.  Of course, good fire status reports are needed this time of year.   cheers

14 minutes ago, MacDuncan said:

Good motivation JaJa and Ken.

Dirt Dame, thanks again.  PM me/us if best answered off thread, but as a reference point, Usually.... do you ride up/back or trailer up/back,     AND/OR    One day only (as in, Leave home 4 am, get back home 9 pm) or overnight (bike camp, car camp, or hotel, pirate or campground or motel)?  Seems like you have a good strategy :) for nice rides!

Cool Autumn must be nice, but today even, cooler temps would be nice.  Of course, good fire status reports are needed this time of year.   cheers

Normally, I drive up to a staging area on the day of the ride and offload there.  In the old days, groups would meet at the gas station on Deer Springs road around 6:45 a.m., just north of Escondido, then caravan up to the mountain.  It's 2-2 1/2 hours to get to a staging area.  There are plenty of "yellow stake" campsites that don't cost any money to camp.  There are just no amenities such as running water, bathrooms, picnic tables or fire rings there, in other words, primitive or undeveloped campgrounds. You will need the adventure pass to park or camp in these places.   Also lots of pay campgrounds with amenities.  I have a trailer, so I have a nice place to stay safe and cozy.  For those who have the money, Big Bear is loaded with cabins and motels.  We'll have to make a plan soon!

OK. I would ride up from Ramona,via Warner Spring, Anza, Idyllwild, Big Bear, first night,next day Fawnskin to Hesperia and return via 395 to San Diego. I don't like Freeway riding with the bike. Let see what I can manage to organize this. This would be a BigBike possible, better medium bike tour.No racing, easy pace, Not to technical.

post-14767-0-29097100-1445132655_thumb.jpg

I'll plan for a smaller bike get together after all these pesky and destructive wild fires are over with.

4 hours ago, dirt dame said:

I'll plan for a smaller bike get together after all these pesky and destructive wild fires are over with.

Hope I can make it too! 

Boston Mangler and I were up there with Big Bear Trail Riders for a nice 3 day weekend.  What great riding!  I'd never really ridden Big Bear before.

F5249q.jpg

SxWLuu.jpg

dtbhzz.jpg