Sign in to follow this  
Spyder

Searching for a Backpack Day / Overnighter

Searching for input on a 28-31l  Backpack with Water Res.

My old Camelbak Transalp

transalp_0big.jpg

was awesome, but it's seen 10+ years of use  and needs a replacement. I do have a small Pack for short trips. I'll have to state up front I am picky or specific when it comes strapping something on for a long period of time.....(do not read into that).  I am having trouble trying out Backpacks because Sport Authority and Sports Chalet are history. A16 has some really high end stuff. REI  Prefer not to shop there, but (sigh) if I must. Dick's, well I don't go there. Big 5 sells crap. What does that leave locally as far as Quality Sporting Goods stores Locally?

I am looking for Day Use Hiking, longer all day Rides, even a small Overnighter type Pack. 3l water,few external pockets, padded shoulders, 1 1/2" waist belt (padded), straps to tighten and cinch down stuff, holds Trekking Sticks, rain cover, no camo, no Molle,  fit a large frame (read BFG non-muscular) and over armour if need be, well made to last. (edit) No one size fits all.   Basically a good quality 28-31l pack.

There was a Geigerrig  Pack that Costco had in the past ? Any updates on how that is working out? 

Kriega looks interesting. I am however not as fit as the model in the video. There are no "waist straps". They seem definitely Rider oriented and comfy. Anyone have one or a place locally to see them?

What am I missing?

Spyder

Argh, no preview for posts.

I have a brand new G...rig. I'll shoot you a text and you can come look at it if ya want. If you don't get a text, PM me as I have an old number. :)

How about a Moose racing XCR, or one of the many moto/motorsports supporting company's product?

For the big carry I use this one with a minor mod (zip tie loops) for a water bladder holder, my USWE bladder fits well and the zip loops hold it up in the pack.

http://www.mooseracing.com/products/?productId=135882

USWE, OGIO etc

I like my old Dakine pack but its getting old and I don't know if they are still around.

Thanks Guys! 

Keep suggestions coming.

S

I would definitely consider Dakine. Ive only ever had to purchase 2 of them in my life and thats because the first one I bought got stolen out of my truck! They are tough, reasonably priced, and some models have a bladder. Although they were bought out, the original family still runs operations and they are awesome people.

http://store.dakine.com/sport/bike/bags/backpacks.html

So far checked out Osprey, Ogio, Kriega MSRacing, Moose Racing, and a few others.......

Liked this Picture.img_2617.jpg

More please.

Anything local?

Have you tried HTTP://www.Nexpak.net, the tactical bags have decent storage, a pouch for a 3L bladder, and the ones I've been using I've been lugging around about 50 lb's of tools for work.

The good news is that you have been shown some good packs in this thread and the bad news is that you really need 2 packs.  The biggest of my 2 mountain bike packs serves useful for 4-5 hour Mtn bike rides (especially in diverse weather conditions / ie. rain gear potential + lunch n snacks/first aid, emergency communications - etc.) and 8+ hour day hikes. It is a very old camelbak blowfish (like the Mule model). One good advantage to consider is that it has a waist strap, that some folks don't like, but some really enjoy so it doesn't bounce around as much, (especially if you like to get air on your bike) (for me, it is not much of a factor since my max air can usually be measured with a couple of credit cards lying flat :) .....)  and the other valuable consideration is the expandable zipper feature gives different sizes for different loads and can also help with "No bounce".  This is the pack that has been thrown on my back most often when on my enduro, whether for a 3 hour ride or a 12 hr. ride. Regardless, that style can still be a bit floppy as it lacks straps that snug it up to your back tightly (consider that!), and some Moto riders may not enthusiastically support Camelbak due to the company's stance on some Off-road mannerisms.  To each his own. I will soon upgrade to a non-Camel and have been looking for a pack with a tight streamline fit to use on both the enduro and the adventure bike as it is equally important to wear hydration when spending 12 hours on the road wandering around.  I have read good things about some Klim packs, and although I am often hesitant to be a riding billboard for Klim, I am regularly impressed with much of their equipment that I have purchased over the years. 

Now, as for 12 hour day hikes, or lightweight overnighters, I have been VERY impressed with my Osprey Talon 33.  It has about a hundred features (kind of like a watch that has 100 features but all you want to do is tell the time  - haha)   But if you really want to dial in your pack for sustained  use in many conditions (trek poles, crampons, etc...) , it is the best one as far as I am concerned (to clarify, I would never use it on a bicycle or a motorcycle). Treat your self to both, I bet you deserve it and when you reach for the right piece of gear for each of the mutually exclusive needs, you will have a big smile from treating yourself to the best equipment for the job. Each pack should last 15 years+  cheers. 

On 6/8/2016 at 7:37 AM, MacDuncan said:

The good news is that you have been shown some good packs in this thread and the bad news is that you really need 2 packs.  

Now, as for 12 hour day hikes, or lightweight overnighters, I have been VERY impressed with my Osprey Talon 33.  It has about a hundred features (kind of like a watch that has 100 features but all you want to do is tell the time  - haha)   But if you really want to dial in your pack for sustained  use in many conditions (trek poles, crampons, etc...) , it is the best one as far as I am concerned (to clarify, I would never use it on a bicycle or a motorcycle). Treat your self to both, I bet you deserve it and when you reach for the right piece of gear for each of the mutually exclusive needs, you will have a big smile from treating yourself to the best equipment for the job. Each pack should last 15 years+  cheers. 

Yup. Didn't really want to go the two different pack route, but may have to.  Any place to try the Osprey stuff on locally ? (Besides Rei) 

Thanks for the input.

Bump?

Spyder