Sign in to follow this  
johnnyg

tiger xc vs 950 se

hi all,

i'm looking at getting a new-to-me bike... i will be putting on lots of commuting miles, but would still like it to be fun in the dirt (<450#). i will also be using it for a month-long two-up ride next year with my bride, covering lots of dirt roads and camping throughout the western states. i'm looking to spend $8-9k, and i like the tiger xc, but i also REALLY like the 950 se... i'd love to hear any real world experience from people who've owned one or the other (afry to the white courtesy phone!). regarding mechanical longevity, would an se be ok logging highway miles? i'm 6'2" & 190#, my wife is 5'7" &120# -- assuming ergo's were addressed, is a tiger 800's cockpit large enough for two-up riding? is there another option i should be considering? 

thanks for any and all insights.

regards,

johnnyg

350366-efed3d991456251cc2d2032e0b2bb3df.jpg

00L0L_9WXqOdpi0ls_600x450.jpg

Wow couldn't have picked 2 completely different bikes, of the big adv bikes you basically picked the most dirt orientated and most street orientated. My 950se does great on highway amazing on dirt for its size and longevity is very high same lc8 in the adventure but you budget is too low for one. Good luck finding one under 10k. I have an 8 gallon tank on mine and tops gets 30mpg so not crazy range for amount of fuel. Ergo is great but my wife won't even touch the bike so dunno about 2 up but should do fine. For 2 up and your budget get a 950 or 990 adventure I'm sure the tiger is a great bike but if your considering a 950se the tiger might not be as good in the dirt as you want. Luggage store for the 950se might be a problem with 2 up riding most guys I know of run soft bags but they go over where the passenger sits a guy is making racks on advrider as we speak thouh for panniers I'm assuming will have room for a passenger 

I've never ridden the big KTM so no direct comparison, but have a '15 Tiger XCx. The pre-'15 you mention has the idle stepper motor. It can be an issue - bike stalls at idle - if not kept clean. Not hard, but good to know it's there. The air filter on the Tiger is up under the tank and a PITA to change. If you go that way, UNI has a foam pre-filter which I installed on mine. The '15 (x) models come with adjustable WP suspension but I don't know what the pre '15's have. I think a V-Strom is more street oriented than the Tiger and I had one for 8 years. The triple is a smooth engine and will eat miles without much maintenance. My son-in-law rode 2up with my daughter on a bike just like the Tiger pic you posted - no issues. He's smaller than you and my daughter is 5'3". A set up Tiger with a good rider (not me) will do everything you want in the dirt. The extreme of this is the ICON Raiden bikes - heavily supported -

Good luck on the hunt.

bp, thanks for taking the time to respond. not trying to be contrary here, but considering the combination of the 21" front wheel and 9" of travel, with proper suspension set-up the tiger could be very dirt oriented, i would think. am i missing something? i've considered the 950/990 adv also and have not ruled them out, i just like the semi-faired style of the se. i didn't realize gas mileage was so low on the ktm, i thought i'd read reports of 40-45ish on the adv... maybe se riders are heavier on the throttle? the 950se pictured is one of 3 for sale within my budget in the first 5 or so pages on that other website... thanks again for your input, i hadn't considered the limited bag options and having both soft and hard bags would be my preference...

ken, thanks for responding. i've read a few of the tiger xc forums at the other place, and remember the stepper motor issue being something to watch for. also the uni pre-filter recommendations from a few of the folks over there. that raiden video was what got me thinking about the tiger as an option, i've ridden a sprint 955 and enjoyed the linear power of the triple. thanks again for your feedback.

Im sure the tiger is good offroad but of the adventure bikes the 950se is in a leage all of its own when you hit the dirt. 950se comes with 17/45 gearing the adv comes with 17/42 but most will go lower on both bikes from what i read thats why the lower mileage, from what ive read and gathered mid 30s is average. Also the 950se is extremely tall im 6'2" and barely get my tippy toes down you definitely can not flat foot one.

I have owned both bikes and they are very different in their intended use. The SE really is an oversized dirt bike with silly power. You "can" put on big miles, both commuting and traveling, but it's always going to prefer being let off the chain.

The Tiger is like a street bike that has been adapted to the dirt. It will smoothly and happily eat up big miles, flows through turns like a sport tourer, and is a much better choice for 2 up traveling. That said, the trade off is that the Tiger is much less capable when the going gets rough. You can make it better with springs, valving, etc, but you can't change the forward weight bias of that silky triple.

An issue with the 950se as a 2 up travel bike is the rear subframe. I assume you will be mounting copious luggage, and it's not designed to carry much weight. However, they can be reenforced as mine was. Also, the seat is not very inviting for your passenger.

An issue with the Tiger is the airflow. If you're tall you will need to go to an aftermarket windscreen, as both OEM units buffet your head untill your vision gets blurry.

I also set up both bikes pretty extensively, and rode them both pretty hard, so I'm happy to share what I learned, but given my experience and your stated purpose, I would point you to a 950/990adv.

Based on your criteria, and what I know (and these guys too ^^^^^^^^^^^^), the Tiger would be a better option for you.

I have zero intelligent advise to offer but thanks for posing the question.  I am hoping to be in the market next year for a more street-able bike then my 450.  I love the looks of the Tiger and right now have my heart set on getting one. But could be convinced otherwise.   Once you make a decision, keep us informed as to the result.  Good luck.