Ken S

All the gear. All the time

I've had three friends get hurt bad and 1 die in the last month while wearing the full ATGAT.

Going thru mission valley today I get passed by a guy on a sport bike wearing sandals, shorts, no shirt, no gloves. Pulls a wheelie right after passing me.

Nowhonder we see so many motorcycle fatalities.

I know is not illegal to be dumb but I hate seeing anyone get hurt.

Street minimum...pants, shoes (ankle boot preferably, t-shirt (long sleeve preferred), gloves, helmet. You may not survive, but is is better than shorts, tank top and flip flops like what Dan Diego rides in.

Definitely agree with you on the importance of full gear. But would also like to add that MANY of the motorcycle fatalities are caused by the motorcyclist (talking about street riding). There is an astonishing lack of training and knowledge possessed by riders. There are simple riding methods that can be used to make riding safer. Many riders have no clue about stuff like push pull steering, target fixation, proper weighting of foot pegs, proper front and rear wheel braking, the Conspicuity of a rider and how to mitigate it, or what to look for from the vehicles and drivers around you.

Anyone that rides on the road, should read the Hurt Study.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurt_Report

You can walk into any MC shop, plop down a Credit Card and within minutes your zipping through traffic on a 90+HP Crotch Rocket. Getting your M1 License on your buddy's 125 hardly prepares you for that. Pretty much the reason why I wont go to Ocotillo Wells anymore,,, the thought of being a hood ornament on someone's Razor scares the crap out of me

Yup i normally wear all the gear when on small bike but dont on my big bike and paid price on the last 2 for tuesday was riding big bike pretty fast down hill crashed hard within couple hundred yards of trail end. Knees and hips very sore still would have been avoided if i had my knee guards and hip pads on like i do with small bike.

I always anticipate that every cager around me is going to do something dumb or try to kill me. Always be aware of whats around you and have an exit strategy. It still amazes me how stupid other riders can be but at least people out here wear helmets. Back when I was in South Carolina I'd see dudes wearing shorts and a tank top with no helmet holding a cell phone up to their face going down the highway.

Definitely agree with you on the importance of full gear. But would also like to add that MANY of the motorcycle fatalities are caused by the motorcyclist (talking about street riding). There is an astonishing lack of training and knowledge possessed by riders. There are simple riding methods that can be used to make riding safer. Many riders have no clue about stuff like push pull steering, target fixation, proper weighting of foot pegs, proper front and rear wheel braking, the Conspicuity of a rider and how to mitigate it, or what to look for from the vehicles and drivers around you.

Anyone that rides on the road, should read the Hurt Study.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurt_Report

"The Hurt Report summarized accident findings related to motorcycle crashes into a 55-point list. Among the major points: two-thirds of motorcycle-car crashes occurred when the car driver failed to see the approaching motorcycle and violated the rider's right-of-way. The report also provided data showing clearly that helmets significantly reduce the risk of brain injury and death but with no increased risk of crash involvement or neck injury."