Dylan

I want a 450!

Hey guys,

After riding around a while on the 250, it is obvious to me that I want a 450 to throw around. Does not have to be plated. Ideally, I'm looking to spend $3000 or much less hopefully. Electric start would be really nice, but not necessary. I will be taking it out to Havasu and leaving it in the summer to ride around at night, so I will need a light kit. Will also be licensing it out there.

I'm not in a huge hurry to find the right one, but I'm ready to buy when it comes around.

This one has caught my attention today. Any thoughts?

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/mcy/5479854528.html

Thanks

06 be aware of less than perfect valves, but of course its a Honda and is a great off road bike.

2008 has seemed to have been everyone's favorite year of CRF450 for the last 10 years of the model.

good luck on your search, as for a CRF I would look for the X version but that's me and I don't ride alloy chassis bikes.

06 be aware of less than perfect valves, but of course its a Honda and is a great off road bike.

2008 has seemed to have been everyone's favorite year of CRF450 for the last 10 years of the model.

good luck on your search

Thanks, that is good info I was not aware of. I have looked up several models and the changes over the years, and it seems like these models change every single year! Pretty wild. So I'm assuming the newer the better.

Looks like I'm hoping to get a Honda CRF450R, CRF450X, Yamaha YZ450F, or WR450r. I still do not know the current offerings from Suzuki, Kawasaki, and KTM.

I would do a 2007+ wr450f of the choices you named. Cheap as chips, bulletproof, a robust aftermarket, and tons of them around, especially if you don't need to have a CA plate. 2012+ WR's are fuel injected and worth the financial stretch if you can do it, imo. I've seen a few go for $4500-5k.

I'd recommend a 2006+ YZ450F or 2007+ WR450F. YZ will be cheaper but no lights/side stand/E-start, but they start easily and are quite a bit lighter and more nimble than the WR.

If the rear paddle is the only tire he has, I personally would stay away from a dunes-only bike. Too much abuse imo.

I would take a 450X over the R just so I can have e-start, light and kickstand.

WR would be at the top of my list, very reliable and not bulletproof but bullet resistant.

I have a WR450 rear wheel you can use to test ride it, although I agree with Beniflas. A dune-centric bike that has "gone many miles" tells me it's spent a lot of time close to wide open.

Hmmm. He said the bike runs well, and has a knobby but it's worn. Runs great, but the stock battery is dying. Looks like I can get a Li-Ion battery for $150. He'll do $2k which seems like a really good deal compared to what else is out there.

I do agree with you guys on the paddle tire though. I would like to dune it a little as well in the future too.

You can buy that WR. Ride it for a year or 3 and sell it for about the same as you paid for it.

Unlike a new bike.

Buy it for 7-10k. Put 2-3k into getting it dialed in.

2-3 years later it's worth 3k.

As long as you go in with your eyes open you should be fine. That's a lot of bike for $2k.

Wr looks like a good bike have him put on the knobbie take it for a a spin up the block hit all the gears sounds like a pretty good deal

For the price point a Carbureted WR450 would also be my choice, seen 3 get up into the 5 digit mileage numbers with barely any issues.

Big consideration between the yz and wr would be tranny and fuel capacity. WR's have wide ratio 6 speed tranny and larger fuel capacity. These are generally two important things the dual sport community values (I believe the CR and CRX are the same). Unless you plan on riding MX tracks, I'd highly suggest you go with a WR450 or CRF450X. Oh yeah, both of these models will already have a head and tail light too.

Well that didn't take long! haha Good luck!

Yeah, just be really careful to not make a rash decision. Buying a bike in the dark is against my better judgement, impulse or no. Bring a bright flashlight and look over everything closely. :)

Will do! Keep the logic coming. Anything in particular to look at on the WR?

That WR looks like a good deal. You'll be happy with that bike.

Just picked it up. Nice bike, battery isn't toast just needs charged. I want to go through the carb for my own sanity but otherwise I'm stoked

You can come try my CRF 450.

I wanna try that little 250 you have .

Meet me at the culdesac after the snow melts. PV is covered in 2 inches of snow right now.