mtnmanseth

2 day Baja Blast - Feb 13 and/or Mar 5?

Seeking a solid crew of 3-4 to do a quick (1 night/2 day) blast through Baja either/both:

1. Sat-Sun Feb 13-14
  2. Sat-Sun Mar 5-6

The Beta is ready and I'm radio and GPS-equipped. No preference in route, but prefer small bikes and (if possible) intermediate+ singletrack sections connecting high speed roads and 2-track. Not too familiar with Baja, but I'm interested in a night at Mike's or Coyote Cal's or ??? Let's try to avoid snow.

Anyone interested/available? Rigger? Blake? Jacob? Kato? Goofy? PMB? Arnie? CID? Other Baja adventurers?

I didn't get a call out :crying_anim02:

But I would be down for Feb 13/14 but cannot make the March 5/6 proposition. Never done the Sky Ranchero, but would like to check it out.

I didn't get a call out :crying_anim02:

But I would be down for Feb 13/14 but cannot make the March 5/6 proposition. Never done the Sky Ranchero, but would like to check it out.

Yeah you did. To Mike's we go! I do have GPS tracks from a Tecate -> Cal's -> Mike's -> Tecate tour with Goofy/Blake from March last year that we can follow if needed. Anyone else interested?

Not fair, you can't edit your OG post to make me look like a bellend

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

I'm game for the March dates. '13 500 EXC is dialed in and ready to go.

I started running the Sena SMH-10 for comms. It blows away my Yaesu PTT system (Rugged Radios). I can bring the short wave set up if needed but the Sena SMH-10 is twice as good and only $150. Killer setup.

Went out to Ocotillo last weekend. FRI/SAT was epic. Made it home Sunday before the weather hit. Would love to give Baja a go with a good, experienced crew.

post-15780-0-81053500-1454732608_thumb.j

Thanks for posting, im gonna work on those dates and let u know, hopefully others will too its been too long amigos

March 5-6 would work for me. I have GPS tracks, radio, tools and insatiable thirst for Pacificos.

I am in for March. I am leaving this Friday for a week in Cabo, so Feb is done for me.

You mentioned small bikes. I can take my 500 EXC or my sexy new 250 XC-W (which would need a bigger tank).

AWESOME!

2 of us this weekend (Jacob and myself) for a reconnaissance run. I'll check with Kug's group re: snow in/around Laguna Hanson.

5 of us for March 5/6:

1. Troy
  2. Benny
  3. Erik
  4. Jim
  5. Me

Recommend the 500, Jim. Erik, 690 should be fine, though I will seek out easy-moderate singletrack to mix things up if I can find reliable tracks from others. I'll start a group PM soon.

I started running the Sena SMH-10 for comms. It blows away my Yaesu PTT system (Rugged Radios).

Sorry to Seth for the hijack- VERY interested in this- range is better? I know the digital comms are clearer (and true duplex?) but what about range? Does it use a PTT switch or VOX?

I absolutely love the Sena. Love it.

We tested the range out to probably 1/3rd of a mile in Ocotillo on flat dez (nobody was elevated) and it worked great. Not totally sure how far out it's capable of going, or how that might improve if one of us was elevated. I do think they're intended to be used with other "paired" Senas at relatively close range though.

The lack of wires was so friggin enjoyable. I've used the Rugged Radio PTT system with a Yaesu for a while and I never got used to the wires in the cockpit. Having ZERO wires was so enjoyable with the Sena.

I love to ride to music and the Sena bluetooth syncs to my smarthphone really easily, and the sound quality was 10+. In fact, I could give an "OK Google ... call _____" command and it worked great. Had a phone conversation while riding and I guess how I sounded was great to the person I was talking too.

The best feature for me was that when you "PAIR" the Sena with another Sena (my buddy out in Ocotillo had one too) you get an open line. So, when I press the large toggle dial on the unit itself (attached to the outside of my helmet), then it basically opens up comm line between the other Sena and the line stays open ... meaning, you don't have to press to talk ... we can literally just talk between the two of us like we are on the phone. Pretty killer.

Also, if I was listening to music when my buddy opened up the comm line then the Sena would automatically pause the music so we could talk ... when one of us closed the comm line my music automatically started playing again. Super cool stuff. I give the Sena an A+. Two enthusiastic thumbs up.

AWESOME!

2 of us this weekend (Jacob and myself) for a reconnaissance run. I'll check with Kug's group re: snow in/around Laguna Hanson.

5 of us for March 5/6:

• Troy
  • Benny
  • Erik
  • Jim
  • Me
Recommend the 500, Jim. Erik, 690 should be fine, though I will seek out easy-moderate singletrack to mix things up if I can find reliable tracks from others. I'll start a group PM soon.

Just patches of snow no problem. Lots of puddles. If frozen at nite puddles may be ice. Watch for ruts!

Of course I will bring the 500...mentioning the 250 was my way of telling everyone I got a new bike. :-)

For radios, I just bought a pair of Motorola walkie talkies at CostCo for $70. I figure if the leader and sweeper have them, no one should get lost. If everyone has them, even better.

I have Sena headgear, but the range is useless in Baja. We tend to have decent gaps for dust and they just don't have the range. I do live streaming music from my phone, though.

Can't wait!!!

I you have room for one more id like to tag along, if not I understand ill wait for the next one. gas wont be a problem for me 4.7 on my WR250R. For March 5th.

Thanks,

For radios, I just bought a pair of Motorola walkie talkies at CostCo for $70. I figure if the leader and sweeper have them, no one should get lost. If everyone has them, even better.

I have Sena headgear, but the range is useless in Baja. We tend to have decent gaps for dust and they just don't have the range. I do live streaming music from my phone, though.

I've got a couple Motorala walkies I can bring. Great idea.

The streaming music thru the Sena while riding is absolutely killer ... no other way to ride.

It's interesting you didn't think the range was good on the Sena ... it worked well for me and a buddy out in Ocotillo a couple weeks back, dust and all.

Hey guys - Bad news; I'm a 'maybe' at this point because I may need to be in San Jose for work on Sunday evening the 6th. 7-8 seems to me like too many for one group anyway, so maybe you guys can split into two groups/trips. I'm hopeful one or two of you can take the lead and organize a trip (or two) in my absence. I'll circle back around once I find out about my work plans... sorry to flake.

FYI - Jacob and I ripped to Mike's and back a couple weekends ago - 185 miles per day (few extra miles around Fire Tower closure), rode fairly hard/fast with normal gas/food breaks (plus 1 flat) and barely beat darkness both days. $70 PER PERSON, but showers were warm, supper/bfast was decent, included free coffee. I think Coyote Cal's and back would be about the same, if not a little longer.

Hey guys is the trip still on our leader had to back out. I haven't ridden the area and am not familiar with the trails or location. But am very handy at trail side repairs and also consider myself a good rider and support person. Just throwing it out there ride on!

Jim, you lead and I'll sweep?

I wanna take that technical trail that bypasses some of Compadre....not crazy technical, just more technical than Compadre.

I am out for Mike's. My wife is having surgery tomorrow, so I need to be home at night for the next couple of weeks. Benny, you certainly have the chops to lead to Mike's and I can send you some tracks.

I would be down for leading a long, all day ride out of Tecate. Down to Ramona's for food, gas and beer, then explore the Pines before heading back to Tecate via RSV. I will be riding that day for sure, so if you want to ride with me, be at the parking lot behind the gas station at 7:30am.

Sorry guys!!!